• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opening up a Howa bolt face

QRE23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Wa.
I've got a Howa .223 I would like to turn into a 6-284.

With the Howa having a M16 style extractor, would opening up the bolt face from .378 to .473 cause alot of issues and extra cost that would make it not worth doing?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Re: Opening up a Howa bolt face

Opening the bolt face is only part of it, I believe the feed lip portion of the receiver also needs to be altered to accomodate the larger casing. Generally speaking, you're better off selling the action you have and reinvesting in an action with the correct boltface and all that.

-matt

Or go magnum LA. I have a shot out Vangard (same actions) in 7RM that I'll sell you for you project for a decent price. Better than what you could get one new, but I agree the the above statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or go magnum LA. <span style="font-weight: bold">I have a shot out Vangard</span> (same actions) in 7RM that I'll sell you for you project for a decent price. Better than what you could get one new, but I agree the the above statement. </div></div>

I'm interested if he's not.