• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opening up a Remington 223 bolt face or reducing a 308 to .224 Valkyrie size.

Easy_E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2006
St Johns Mi
I have a .308 bolt and would like to use it on a Valkyrie build . PTG makes a bolt for this but it kills the budget for this budget build. I've look at trying to solder in a spacer then cutting for a M16 extractor but would it possible to recut for the stock style extractor ?
The other idea is to open up a 223 bolt and reinstall a extractor if possible . I searched on here but didn't really see this question.
Thanks

Maybe Mac Bros would help make a bolt for that?
Nice bolt but still more than I'm wanting to budget and would like to machine/solder a spacer. Thinking it might be easier to do a Sako or M16 extractor in place of the stock setup.

It’s easier to open a bolt than narrow it. By far.
I just opened up a PTG for a guy that was easy as they come with the M16 extractor .

What my main question was has anyone reinstalled the stock 700 extractor after soldering a ring or opening up a bolt face ?
Just wondering before diving into m16 or sako extractors .

I had pondered this same thing when brainstorming a 224V build. I ended up scrapping the idea of building on a 700 action and decided to build on a Savage instead.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to trying to stick to a budget. I pondered having a 223 bolt face opened up and adding a M16 Extractor at the same time. I also thought about the PTG bolt. You can get the PTG 700 bolt body in 6.8 Bolt face and it's not super expensive.

But I would really think long and hard before you go the PTG route. Many have had problems, research it before you decide to go that route. Check with Chad at LRI, see what he can do for you. Or consider going to a Savage action? With the Savage you can swap bolt heads and they make decent shooters on a budget.

I build my rifles a little bit at a time. Sometimes it is more economical to go back to the drawing board, or bite the bullet and save until you can get what you want.

Reactions: Easy_E
With some help I ended up finding a factory 6.8 remington bolt for about what I can get for the old bolt so this project is a go.
We send bolts out to Chad regularly for fluting he does nice work . I'm a student at this point trying to do everything I can to learning along the way . Now with a extra bolt laying around might as well cut a M16 extractor .
Thanks Guys

Not true anymore. Our bushings all begin as sub .390 bolt face. I can take a .338LM bolt from Remington and turn it into a 223 if a guy was to ever want such a thing.

OP, we can handle this job easily. Happy to help.

C.
You have two bolts from us right now dont want to overwhelm you guys Lol.
Thanks Chad

Area 419 is capable as well. If chad already has two might as well add another bolt to the pile.

Area 419 is capable as well. If chad already has two might as well add another bolt to the pile.

Look on 419's website. Jon is referring all of that work to us now.

This service is temporarily unavailable, sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We suggest contacting Longrifles Inc to perform this service.

As for this process from us:

Over the past several years we've historically done this job on our vertical machine which required two different setups. About a month ago I began working on a fixture for the 5 axis and it's paid off in spades. ONE setup is all it takes now. We machine for the bushing, solder it, and inlet the bolt body in one hit. Everything is probed, and it's working beyond expectation. It's also put several hours of precious spindle time back on the other machine's clock which is nice because we've had a log jam there for some time now. Bolt and barrel fluting will circulate much faster again which is nice as it keeps the lead times back to where they need to be.

All good things. With the issues at hand in the world, today every minute and every dollar counts more than ever before.

Happy to help.

I used a Rem. 700/223 action for this Valkyrie build. Bored the bolt face out, ptg sako conversion, ptg bolt handle, time and tig. Simple enough conversion. I did end up reforming the Remington magazine box in order to get 100% reliable feeding with the Valkyrie cartridge.
As made by Remington the 223 magazine box will not feed the 224 Valkyrie 100% reliably. Perfect feeding starts with a perfect stack. In order to achieve the perfect stack and thus perfect feed I ended up opening up the box .015 per side at the shoulders of the case. This was done because the Valkyrie cases where bound up at the shoulders causing the case heads to float causing inconsistency in pick up. Spreading the stack at the shoulders of the case allows the case heads to rise properly where they can be picked up 100% with each cycle of the bolt. Properly built accurate rifles must also be 100% reliable thru feed and function.
IMG_20191112_1458282_rewind.jpgIMG_20191112_1500369_rewind.jpg

@LongRifles Inc. What would it take for you to start punching out custom actions on those machines?

I get asked this often. The truth is, I have ZERO interest in becoming an action company or starting one. The industry is saturated with plenty of folks already doing this. If I ever was to even think about it, the more realistic answer would likely be some kind of merger with American Rifle Company. It's a topic Ted and I joke about off/on, but the reality is he and his staff like the Pacific NW and we like SD. (although winters here can go eat a dick)

Actions are tough to do well. There's a lot of detail items that must be carefully controlled. It would be well into the 7 figures to do that. Likely more as it would require a lot more floor space that I just don't have right now. Having worked for two action companies and being close friends with Ted from ARC, it is very clear to me just how much work it takes to do it well.

I like where I'm at. I compare what I do with Remmy's n Winnies to the performance/race engine shop of the old days where OEM parts were whittled on to make a piece suited to task. I like that challenge and have invested the better part of a decade taking it as far as I know how. The fact that there are literally millions of them in circulation means the likelihood of me even chipping away at 1/10th of a percent is a pipe dream. I'll be a rotting corpse long before that happens.

We are a healthy company and have been for some time now, but this "bug thing" is going to take its toll on everyone before too long if we don't get our asses back to work. I'm too dumb to quit so we just keep our noses to the stone and hope for the best.