• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opening Up a Stock

Domestique

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Reading, Pa
How hard is it to open up a stock for a larger diameter barrel? I have a McMillan A5 thats contoured for a varmint barrel and am thinking of throwing in an SPS Tactical, which I believe has a thicker contour.

Re: Opening Up a Stock

I do think that they are the same contour.

They are the same contour, however, if you need to remove material a course sandpaper does wonders. Just go slow and test fit a lot. I have inlet several stocks for larger barrels, and it seems very easy to get the sides too wide before you get it deep enough on the bottom, so watch for that.

DD

I have an SPS tactical 20" in my McMillan A5 contoured for Varmint Barrel.
It's close but it's still floating fine.

I'm in the same boat as you however, when I rebarrel it... It will have to be widened. Read not long ago about people using a socket on the handle wrapped in coarse sandpaper and just running the length of the channel until it's deep / wide enough to comfortably take the desired barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an SPS tactical 20" in my McMillan A5 contoured for Varmint Barrel.
It's close but it's still floating fine.

I'm in the same boat as you however, when I rebarrel it... It will have to be widened. Read not long ago about people using a socket on the handle wrapped in coarse sandpaper and just running the length of the channel until it's deep / wide enough to comfortably take the desired barrel. </div></div>

Thanks, do you have any pictures of that setup by the way?

Sure
smile.gif

As you can see there's a fair bit of meat on the front end of the stock that can be chewed out with the sand paper for a larger barrel without worrying too much.

R700A5Side1.jpg

I've got a badger FTE on the way so that should add another two inches to the barrel length which is fine.

If you go wrong and take too much out, its also very easy to use JBWeld, Chemical Metal or something similar to build it back up again..