• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing opening up a tight neck

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
So i happen to have a really nice tight neck (.332) 308. its really a nice rifle and shoot slights out, but im just about sick of turning brass. Can the neck area be opened up to saami , or close tp saami, withouth rechambering the whole rifle? Maybe a reamer or something? If this is dumb question, sorry. LOL, but i was curious before i called my smith and asked him to do it.

Last edited:
I won't pretend to be knowledgeable on the subject, but I would explore potential options using bushing or collet dies before messing with the chamber of a rifle that shoots "lights out".

So i happen to have a really nice tight neck (.332) 308. its really a nice rifle and shoot slights out, but im just about sick of turning brass. Can the neck area be opened up to saami , or close tp saami, withouth rechambering the whole rifle? Maybe a reamer or something? If this is dumb question, sorry. LOL, but i was curious before i called my smith and asked him to do it.

Short answer, it's possible.

at a .332 neck all brass is too thick. i dont mind the trueing it up kind of turning, but its a lot of turning o keep it at .332 total. Basic math is .332-.308=.0204. Divide that in half and you get .012 max wall thickness. trust me, its a lot of turning lol.

I had it done on two barrels. I turned 10 pieces of brass and thats all it took for me to see the light of day. Just make sure you find a good smith. The guy I used to open up the necks did some horrible work.