• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opening up ejection port on manners stock

SWMP15RO

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2019
I have a manners carbon fiber stock that I purchased used. The opening for the ejection port is smaller on my stock than the port on my tl3. I have read on the hide that some people just use a file to make it match. I am assuming that this will expose the base material of the stock? What are you guys doing to cover up the base material?

1634262076299.png

Reactions: camocorvette
I opened the port and went down the barrel channel a little on my Manners, bought it new from Altus knowing the channel was going to be close.

Another thread here said Manners uses Marine Tex, I mixed some up and basically painted the channel and let it dry for 72 hrs. When done it has a satin finish and not the flat black like the original. @bohem mentions sealing in the link I've added but he does not mention the sealer name, perhaps he will chime in.

Duracoat or air cure Cerakote. Other paints and such are typically not chemical resistant. I’ve painted, bedded and modified many stocks. A quality gun coating will better serve you in the long run.

I opened this one. Painted with Duracoat and added a different sponge color too.
E1C18D19-58F4-47DF-8D70-8C2D00749C6B.jpeg

Reactions: iceng
A lot of guys just leave it without coating / painting on lots of mechanical things. It gives it character and tells the gawkers "I made this _____ mine".... Those are the men I have a silent respect for.... I have cut up $2,000 Viking Dry suits (commercial diving), Lincoln SA200 welding machines, Welding hoods, new gloves, climbing harnesses and a lot of other equipment to "Make it Mine"... But, that's just me....

If I want to keep bare metal from rusting I will use a rust inhibited primer... Problem solved.

Hobo

A gawker is a person who stares openly at someone or something. After a bad car accident on the highway, gawkers often slow down for a look. To gawk is to gape, stare, or rubberneck without trying to hide the fact that you're doing it.