• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opening Up HS barrel channel

murray

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2003
PA
I have an HS Precision stock and was thinking I might put my 40x in there. Can I open up my barrel channel just by sanding it? It there enough room to open it up to 1 1/4"?

Re: Opening Up HS barrel channel

Which HS stock.

The Police version will take a pretty large barrel #7 and MTU size.

Pretty easy to open up with sand paper and dowel. The interior of the stock is pretty soft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which HS stock.

Pretty easy to open up with sand paper and dowel. The interior of the stock is pretty soft. </div></div>

are you sure on the mtu? i would be hard pressed to believe it would fit in my hs police. it looks like it would be tight as hell if it did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which HS stock.

Pretty easy to open up with sand paper and dowel. The interior of the stock is pretty soft. </div></div>

are you sure on the mtu? i would be hard pressed to believe it would fit in my hs police. it looks like it would be tight as hell if it did. </div></div>

Sorry if you are hard pressed to believe it but yes I'm sure. I have put more then one MTU and M24 barrel in a HS police stock. The HS stock is wider then the McMillan HTG and the HTG takes the MTU. The varmint stock can be a little thin but that will work also.

Both below rifles have MTU in HS Police adjustable stocks.

KBODY14.jpg

frank13.jpg

This is an MTU in a LTR stock

Pearn4.jpg

I think he read your first post as you can drop it in without any work. As said above, it will work just using a dowel and sand paper.

For getting most of it out I use a 180 grit sanding belt, cut open to make a long piece of course sandpaper and wrap it around an old wooden broom handle. Then use finer grit sandpaper to finish as you wish.

I have a Rock #7 HV in my police stock and my smith just opened it up with sand paper and a dowel like stated it has a nice fit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which HS stock.

are you sure on the mtu? i would be hard pressed to believe it would fit in my hs police. it looks like it would be tight as hell if it did. </div></div>

Sorry if you are hard pressed to believe it but yes I'm sure. I have put more then one MTU and M24 barrel in a HS police stock. The HS stock is wider then the McMillan HTG and the HTG takes the MTU. The varmint stock can be a little thin but that will work also.

Both below rifles have MTU in HS Police adjustable stocks.

KBODY14.jpg

frank13.jpg

This is an MTU in a LTR stock

Pearn4.jpg
</div></div>

wasn't doubting you man; just seemed big to fit. i am extremely happy to see it fits as this is exactly what i am going to do. those rifles look great!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I opened her up! I am thinking of repainting now. Will the studs just unscrew from the stock?

I have a krieger MTU coming soon and will be putting into a stock like in the second pic from Randy, How much sanding is required and do you have to reseal the stock afterwards?