• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Operation MegaPhone: Quorum needed

QuickNDirty

NaN
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2013
location location location
NOTE: If this is the first time you're seeing this thread: Go here for the TL;DR; version.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/operation-megaphone-quorum-needed.6921698/#post-7468467

The problem: People don't think calling congress makes a difference, and they might even be right in a lot of cases.

The proposed solution: Make it easy and fun for people to call congress by creating a service that automates the calling process and dials a user-selectable set of congress members up to and including every one of them.

My personal opinion on this solution is that it's rude, crude, and borderline unethical. I think that's great. I also think it's hilarious.

Just a ballpark figure, with 100k people paying $5 each we can send Congress 53.5 million phone calls.

Operation MegaPhone theory of operation for version 1.0:
1.) User goes to www.INeedToCallCongress.com. (I own this domain :sneaky:)
2.) User reads the mission statement, privacy agreement, terms of service, etc.
3.) User fills out first and last name, phone number, e-mail address, and payment information.
4.) User submits that information.
5.) User selects the congress members he/she wants to call and submits that.
5.) A phone call is generated to the user.
6.) Prompts (examples below) are given by the service. The user responds to them in their own words.
7.) The user is asked to say what they want their representatives (and others' representatives) to hear from them.
8.) These questions and responses are used to generate a DialogFlow chatbot that will take care of reaching a human, answering any questions the staffer has, and delivering the message.
9.) The selected congress members get dialed in a fairly complex way designed to be as polite as possible. (The user, if he or she so chooses, can monitor the progress of the phone calls. The phone calls will appear to have originated from the user.)
10.) Once the phone is answered, Google phone call transcription (integrated with DialogFlow) gains control over the phone call and goes about doing it's thing using the responses provided by the user.
11.) Profit.

Example prompts:
Say your name.
Say your zipcode
Say your city, state, and zipcode
Say yes.
Say no.
Say I do not want to answer that question.
Say your closing statement to end a phone call (e.g., Thank you very much, bye.)
Say your message (e.g., Hi, my name is Quick and Dirty and I'm calling to say that I expect Chuck Schumer to support the border wall.)
Do you want to leave a different message if the call goes to voicemail?
Say your message intended for a voicemail.

There are a few questions I have about some implementation details and I would appreciate your feedback.

1.) Payment methods. This service isn't cheap to operate due to telephony per-minute rates and API calls. It has to be paid for somehow.
Options that seem good to me:
A.) A pre-paid account with credits. (e.g., one credit equals one phone call to a congress member)
B.) One time payment (e.g., calculate the approximate cost for one phone call to a congress member, multiply that by the number members selected, user pays that amount)

A is good if this service is intended to exist for a while. I haven't made up my mind about that, since there's no telling what kind of demand this thing will have. B makes it a little tricky in case the call fails for some unrecoverable reason. I would want to re-fund or give a credit-like thing back to the user so he/she doesn't feel ripped off.

What payment option(s) would you be comfortable with?

2.) User data. The data that can be collected on a platform like this is badass and would be a shame to waste. I don't want to piss anyone off by collecting it, though, so I'm thinking the following is a good way to handle it.
A.) Ask the user for permission to store account information, call recordings/transcripts, etc.
B.) Ask the user if he/she wants to opt-in to a mailing list used for product updates, beta tests of other wild ideas, etc.
C.) Ask the user if he/she wants the calls to congress members streamed so that he/she can listen to them as they're happening (this does NOT give me permission to store call recordings.)

What information would you be OK or NOT OK with me storing for the purposes of expanding my influence, enhancing this product, and enhancing other products that will come later?

3.) My rough estimate of the price of a single operation involving AI (create profile + deliver one message to a congress member) is 28 cents. This is tricky to get exact since some messages are longer than others, and it can take more time to reach one congress member than it takes to reach another, and all of the expenses are based on per-minute rates. To dial all 535 members of congress, it would be about $150. If the per-minute charges for all of those calls fell below my 28 cent estimate, I'd profit. If it didn't, I'd lose money. If I abandon the chatbot portion and instead use some effective but not guaranteed tricks to detect when a human answers the phone, I can drop the price to about 2 cents for a single operation, or about $3 to call every member of congress. It wouldn't be as cool, though.

They say, "The more effort you put into to reaching your representative, the more weight your message holds."
My goal with this thing is to make some money, make an entrance into the world of quick and dirty politics, get my name out, and get on everybody's radar.

Using the AI method would get the attention of both Congress AND Google. A lot of unintended consequences are possible with that combo, but the quick and dirty method would be much cheaper and easier to make.

4.) How much profit should I take? I'm thinking $0.05 per call in either case, but with the QnD option I could take a dollar and dial everybody for less than $5 from the user.
4.) Do you like this idea? (Please explain why or why not)
5.) Would you use it? (Please explain why or why not)
6.) What am I missing?
7.) Payment processors. I haven't looked into this too much, yet. Ideally I'd find a good 2A friendly payment provider (perhaps BlueDog). Can anyone make recommendations on good companies that I can continue to use for things like this?

If I can get some good feedback, I'll start the LLC paperwork this week. The AI solution will take a few weeks to put together. The QnD solution would take about a week, maybe. The site and the payment processing will take some more time to figure out. I think March would be a good month for release and would give me plenty of time to get the bugs worked out and let y'all hammer on it a bit. Hopefully I'll have my personal site and video finished by then, too, and do both at once.

In theory it would be possible to get this thing in front of Mr. Pratt over at GOA and possibly get a reference sent out with his next call to action.

Final thoughts on all of this: I need money, I need exposure, and I need to build a reputation in order to scale up to a point where I can tackle the more serious issues. I think this will do all of that in a completely legal (for now) way that cannot be stopped except by my carriers (unlikely), domain registrar, Amazon, Google (if AI involved), or some bills passed that make it illegal to call congress on behalf of someone else. The next best alternative to put a stop to this thing would be by blocking out-of-state area codes from calling, which would not go over too well. I'm actually hoping that the service providers DO shut it down, as that opens up new fronts.

There's actually a service that does something similar to this using real people https://www.civicactionnetwork.us/faq

As always, Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I think it’s a fantastic idea but with two problems. One, most people in our circle are probably going to bypass it for having to put in personal information outside of their names. Two, nobody is going to want to pay for the service.

What would you do?

Thats a good question to which I have no great immediate answers. Maybe only ask for peoples names and bypass all of the other data fields. As far as payment, how much we talking to run this?? Maybe get some hide members to become donors and see if anyone would donate to run the service month to month. Only problem with that is you are relying on an uncertain revenue stream. But, I bet if there was some way to track the results that people would donate to the cause.

Thats a good question to which I have no great immediate answers. Maybe only ask for peoples names and bypass all of the other data fields. As far as payment, how much we talking to run this?? Maybe get some hide members to become donors and see if anyone would donate to run the service month to month. Only problem with that is you are relying on an uncertain revenue stream. But, I bet if there was some way to track the results that people would donate to the cause.

??

No, I mean would you sign up and pay a few dollars to send a message via phone call to every member of congress? You, specifically.

I listed how much it'd cost to run the thing. About 28 cents per call for AI backed, or about 2 cents per call for the quick and dirty version.

with 5 cents of profit on top of that, I'd make out pretty good.

I'm looking for YOUR answers to the questions in yellow. Would you sign up? What payment option would work best FOR YOU? etc, etc.

Speculation on what most people think or do isn't really helpful in this case. I just need to know if this is a product you might buy, how to make it the most convenient for you (the customer), and whether or not you'd be cool with me keeping the records so I can mine 'em and aggregate what people are telling congress so I've got a better handle on what matters to people, as well as improve the automation so the calls are more life-like to the point congress doesn't even know it's not human.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
??

No, I mean would you sign up and pay a few dollars to send a message via phone call to every member of congress? You, specifically.

I listed how much it'd cost to run the thing. About 28 cents per call for AI backed, or about 2 cents per call for the quick and dirty version.

I'm looking for YOUR answers to the questions in yellow. Would you sign up? What payment option would work best FOR YOU? etc, etc.

Speculation on what most people think or do isn't really helpful in this case. I just need to know if this is a product you might buy, how to make it the most convenient for you (the customer), and whether or not you'd be cool with me keeping the records so I can mine 'em and aggregate what people are telling congress so I've got a better handle on what matters to people, as well as improve the automation so the calls are more life-like to the point congress doesn't even know it's not human.

That’s what I get for skimming. I’ll get back to you.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
??

How much would it cost if I simply called and said fuck off?

I love it.

I would probably use it - depending on final costs, etc. If I know it's your company I wouldn't be nervous giving info. Some company that I am not familiar with - I'd only want to give the basics of name, address, phone. I'm not in the internet business world also I don't know how that works any vendors but I pay for stuff online all the time so I'm comfortable with it.

I would expect you (or anyone else) to store some data to see what the trends are.

Would you pay 10 dollars?

If I could get a personalized "Fuck off!" sent to all 435 representative and 100 senators, that is a pretty good return on investment. Sure... The trick, however, would be sitting on the line long enough to go through 432 City, State, Zip combinations.

If I could get a personalized "Fuck off!" sent to all 435 representative and 100 senators, that is a pretty good return on investment. Sure... The trick, however, would be sitting on the line long enough to go through 432 City, State, Zip combinations.

Yep, personalize it however you want. Anything that comes through your microphone is going to someone's ear.

What do you mean about sitting on the line, though? Your only input is going to be the message. That'll take less than a minute for most people. After that, every member's office number is dialed individually. Those calls will be about a minute long, as well.

@SilentStalkr mentioned tracking the results. I've got two ideas I think would be really cool for the user experience.

#1 - After submission, the user sees a list of all the calls that are pending, in progress, or completed. (Maybe with the option to listen live as they're happening - Nothing adds legitimacy to a product like seeing it work first-hand.)

#2 - Keep metrics on calls per congress member for current calls, calls per hour, per day, and total calls and plot them real-time. You can sit there and see that, for example, 173 calls are currently in progress with Chuck Schumer's office, he's received 23,426 calls today, 126,323 calls total, and that he's getting, on average, 4,326 calls per hour.

@QuickNDirty If I want to send a big fat "Fuck You" to all of the reps in california (for example), and want at least some confidence that someone in their office will hear it (they'll end the call from someone outside of their district), I'll need to record a personalized message from each of their districts "Hi, this is Hlee from Santa Rosa California...," "Hi, this is Hlee from Sacramento California...," "Hi, this is hlee from San Diego California...," etc...

@QuickNDirty If I want to send a big fat "Fuck You" to all of the reps in california (for example), and want at least some confidence that someone in their office will hear it (they'll end the call from someone outside of their district), I'll need to record a personalized message from each of their districts "Hi, this is Hlee from Santa Rosa California...," "Hi, this is Hlee from Sacramento California...," "Hi, this is hlee from San Diego California...," etc...

Hmm... So, I can automate that process, actually. That, I think, is actually unethical and would not be something I'd want to do.

I might be able to be convinced otherwise, though.

I like the concept and am interested in seeing you pull it off. I would certainly try it, even if only once so that it gets the attention of the Congress critters. I think that it has real potential.

Yep, personalize it however you want. Anything that comes through your microphone is going to someone's ear.

What do you mean about sitting on the line, though? Your only input is going to be the message. That'll take less than a minute for most people. After that, every member's office number is dialed individually. Those calls will be about a minute long, as well.

@SilentStalkr mentioned tracking the results. I've got two ideas I think would be really cool for the user experience.

#1 - After submission, the user sees a list of all the calls that are pending, in progress, or completed. (Maybe with the option to listen live as they're happening - Nothing adds legitimacy to a product like seeing it work first-hand.)

#2 - Keep metrics on calls per congress member for current calls, calls per hour, per day, and total calls and plot them real-time. You can sit there and see that, for example, 173 calls are currently in progress with Chuck Schumer's office, he's received 23,426 calls today, 126,323 calls total, and that he's getting, on average, 4,326 calls per hour.

That sounds fantastic! I love the way you are thinking about this. What you have mentioned would be great metrics but there also needs to be a way to measure performance of what we are doing and the action as a result. Just having stats that Pelosi received 100,000 calls about X doesn’t really tell you much or get anything accomplished other than driving her more insane. See what I’m saying? Maybe we have it interact with the politicians as well, like at the end of the message give them the option to respond to those that called either in real time, via email or whatever, then we can figure out what their response will be. If they say they will stand by us, introduce a bill or whatever and renig on it then you can simply bring up the stats, the phone call and if you really wanted some awesomeness be able to play it back with them saying that they would do X for you. Throw it back in their face and make it publicly known. However, we all know that politicians sway back and forth anyways so other than getting it in the public eye I’m not sure what good it would do. There needs to be some way to hold them accountable. I like the term limits idea but you could theoretically always have someone in office, even new blood that doesn’t do what they say they are going to. So not even that is full proof. I think the only real option is we all volunteer to run and somehow we help each other get elected.

Reactions: johnnycat
That sounds fantastic! I love the way you are thinking about this. What you have mentioned would be great metrics but there also needs to be a way to measure performance of what we are doing and the action as a result. Just having stats that Pelosi received 100,000 calls about X doesn’t really tell you much or get anything accomplished other than driving her more insane. See what I’m saying? Maybe we have it interact with the politicians as well, like at the end of the message give them the option to respond to those that called either in real time, via email or whatever, then we can figure out what their response will be. If they say they will stand by us, introduce a bill or whatever and renig on it then you can simply bring up the stats, the phone call and if you really wanted some awesomeness be able to play it back with them saying that they would do X for you. Throw it back in their face and make it publicly known. However, we all know that politicians sway back and forth anyways so other than getting it in the public eye I’m not sure what good it would do. There needs to be some way to hold them accountable. I like the term limits idea but you could theoretically always have someone in office, even new blood that doesn’t do what they say they are going to. So not even that is full proof. I think the only real option is we all volunteer to run and somehow we help each other get elected.

Great suggestions! Interactive calls is something a friend I'm working with suggested, as well.

My idea for that would be - On the screen where the user watches his own calls progress, simply being there gives that user access to an embedded phone. I haven't thought this all the way through yet, since it adds a decent bit of complexity AND cost to system overall, but I think this behavior would be pretty sweet.

So, you're robodialing all these people and you're getting people on the line and the chatbot is handling questions as they come up, but say you got a question the bot didn't have an answer for.... I can connect you to the person so you can answer the question yourself, right there from your browser, OR from your phone. If multiple calls like that came up, I could actually bridge them in, so you've got multiple reps or staffers on the same line at once, now we're getting people who would never normally talk to each other on the line discussing the same thing.

Definitely some interesting possibilities there.

As far as collecting metrics on what a reps position is, that's kinda difficult to think through without having a bunch of data to look at, first. Gotta start simple, get the data, then improve the product. This can all be done after-the-fact, though. As long as people give me permission to collect data, I can mine it later and figure out who said what, and so on.

Like I said, though, that's gonna drive the cost up substantially.

To re-state my objective for this thing.

In order of priority:
1.) Make some money to fund the other projects
2.) Gain supporters/friends/contributors/advisors/etc
3.) Establish a reputation of being an American technologically empowered pissant political activist/community organizer
4.) Raise awareness that calling congress may not achieve much, but calling every one of them tens of millions of times in a short period will certainly piss them off. Pissing off congress sounds like a good time to me!

To say it another way, this idea is my first order of business when entering into the world of fund raising/political activism/community organizing and will be the metaphorical equivalent of the spark that ignites the brush around it.

From this project comes:
1.) Ways to get paid
2.) A corporation
3.) Money

All the things I need to do the things I want to do. It'd be great if some other folks would weigh in.

You know, there could be a canned option, too. Pay $20 and part of that payment includes every member of congress receiving a phone call explaining that a contribution was just made to QnD's mission to get them out of office.

Imagine if that WeFundTheWall thing had access to something like that? Every donation resulted in a phone call to congress saying "So and so has made a donation of $whatever to the WeFundTheWall campaign"

Can you really let that play out in your head and not laugh your asses off?

Last edited:
You're on to a great path, but let me throw this into the mix, just to have it 'out there'.

DDOS

Direct denial of Service.

"They" can do all they want, in any manner that they want to do it in, and 'we the people' have to just choke it down. But, if you were to begin this process, how do you protect yourself from 'them' claiming that you are the root-cause of their woeful DDOS to which they counter with all kinds of alleged and insinuated charges, damages, and penalties?

Cover your ass in advance, so that you don't get it torn apart. Figuratively and literally.

(yes, I realize 'phones' and 'innerwebz' are two different things,,, but you get my point, right?)

Can you make it this simple:

- I go through the 'answering questions' phase once at the very beginning
- Everything is stored and your magic witchcraft system does whatever it does
- I can log in somewhere, put a check mark in the box next to any reps/congress/whoever I want it to call, as well as a number of times I want it to call each, press Go, and log out
- It makes all those calls and does its magic on its own

If you can make this work, Mitt Romney is about to see what my dick tastes like.

You're on to a great path, but let me throw this into the mix, just to have it 'out there'.

DDOS

Direct denial of Service.

"They" can do all they want, in any manner that they want to do it in, and 'we the people' have to just choke it down. But, if you were to begin this process, how do you protect yourself from 'them' claiming that you are the root-cause of their woeful DDOS to which they counter with all kinds of alleged and insinuated charges, damages, and penalties?

Cover your ass in advance, so that you don't get it torn apart. Figuratively and literally.

(yes, I realize 'phones' and 'innerwebz' are two different things,,, but you get my point, right?)

Polite dialing strategies, legitimate phone calls, and no intent to disrupt their infrastructure ought to cover that, though I suspect it won't be long til someone proposes a bill to make this illegal.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Can you make it this simple:

- I go through the 'answering questions' phase once at the very beginning
- Everything is stored and your magic witchcraft system does whatever it does
- I can log in somewhere, put a check mark in the box next to any reps/congress/whoever I want it to call, as well as a number of times I want it to call each, press Go, and log out
- It makes all those calls and does its magic on its own

If you can make this work, Mitt Romney is about to see what my dick tastes like.

Just got off the phone with my favorite carrier. They're on board. Gave me good rates, too.

So, if I understand you correctly..

You'd be best served by payment option A, the account/credits strategy.

Go to www.INeedToCallCongress.com the very first time
Create an account - Name, number, e-mail address
Buy some credits (one credit equals one call)
Record one or more messages
Head over to the targeting list, select Mitt Romney, select one of the messages, set a schedule (call once per hour, for example)
Click "Send it!"
Log out

I like that idea.

I'm 100% on board.

That's the grass-roots effort we need to be making.

Sure I can call my reps on issues that are dear - but something like this would allow me to call EVERYONE about EVERYTHING like I'm an out-of-work millennial "peoples and culture of south america" graduate.

I'm 100% on board.

That's the grass-roots effort we need to be making.

Sure I can call my reps on issues that are dear - but something like this would allow me to call EVERYONE about EVERYTHING like I'm an out-of-work millennial "peoples and culture of south america" graduate.

Just FYI, this whole thing I'm doing on the 'hide is actually how I operate in any capacity. This is how I run things at home, at work, as part of some organizational thing, etc. Ask questions, get feedback, try things, and get stuff done.

Y'all are smart and creative, and taking these ideas and helping me develop them means a lot to me.

Feedback so far is good enough to run with, so I'm gonna get this one fired up. I wish more folks would chime in, hopefully that'll happen later today.

So, I need a corporation, and in order to do that, the corporation needs a name. I create some pretty boring names (though I thought Operation MegaPhone was pretty good - That was completely by accident that I came up with it, and I don't know how that happened.)

What do y'all think that name should be?

Just got off the phone with my favorite carrier. They're on board. Gave me good rates, too.

So, if I understand you correctly..

You'd be best served by payment option A, the account/credits strategy.

Go to www.INeedToCallCongress.com the very first time
Create an account - Name, number, e-mail address
Buy some credits (one credit equals one call)
Record one or more messages
Head over to the targeting list, select Mitt Romney, select one of the messages, set a schedule (call once per hour, for example)
Click "Send it!"
Log out

I like that idea.

Yeah, with an interface to do what I want (i.e. pick Romney).

Obviously its not free, but I'd be more apt to use it on a blanket monthly fee/rate than I would a per call rate because then that basically defeats the purpose of a massive amount of calls.

Oh, by the way... The development process involves making manual phone calls to every representative so I can map out the paths the calls can take. I've got my wife and some young folks to do some of that work, but if any of y'all want in, here's what needs to happen.

1.) Take good notes
2.) Record the call

I'm thinking about just setting up a toll free number you can call that'll take care of recording the call and letting you just explain in words what happened on the call once it completes.

Basically, dial 888-whatever, dial the number, get to a human being or voicemail, once you're done either they hang up and you're prompted to leave a message explaining what happened on the phone call, or press # to hang up on them and leave a message.

An example form for calling Sylvia Garcia, as an example:

To: Sylvia Garcia (202-225-1688)
Rang 3 times
Staffer answered
Said my name, city, state, and zipcode
Said my message
She asked for my zip code
We thanked each other and hung up

Yeah, with an interface to do what I want (i.e. pick Romney).

Obviously its not free, but I'd be more apt to use it on a blanket monthly fee/rate than I would a per call rate because then that basically defeats the purpose of a massive amount of calls.

Huh... Well, what works for you? If you're just calling one dude, that's gonna be about 2 cents plus my 5 cents of profit, so 7 cents per call.

You could buy 7000 credits for $490 and call Mitt Romney 8 times a day for 875 days. Pushing it past 8 times a day might border on harassment, so I dunno if we want to go there. Uncharted waters, really, but that's where I want to go. Pioneering, you know?

What are good numbers to you? In an ideal world, what would this product do for you?

2 cents plus my 5 cents of profit,
Gouging bastard. Lol. Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
I’m with The German. I want fire and forget. I do enough other political missions this would be great.
I’m for an account I can fund when I want, run a balance (don’t forget you can probably get interest on the “float” which could be significant), dial in when something pisses me off, send a whole bunch of missive bombs, and go on with my day.
Here’s my rub. I think the simpler you keep the personal info bit the better.

One more thought.
Once created, minor modifications will allow you to morph this into a pretty good money machine if that becomes your intention.
On another thread you mentioned getting good people elected. You have a system that can probably target districts, zones, states etc.
Another obvious use is getting the word out. Could be product oriented, company oriented, good cause (charity) oriented.
You can probably take my point from here.

One more thought.
Once created, minor modifications will allow you to morph this into a pretty good money machine if that becomes your intention.
On another thread you mentioned getting good people elected. You have a system that can probably target districts, zones, states etc.
Another obvious use is getting the word out. Could be product oriented, company oriented, good cause (charity) oriented.
You can probably take my point from here.

Yeah, when I think up ideas I tend to take them as far as I can. The possibilities are endless, and my original post just covering ONE use case was already lengthier than anyone on Facebook would put up with. Figured I'd keep it simple, but yeah, if people run with this idea we'll see some really neat modules come about.

Reactions: Dewey7271
So, I need a corporation, and in order to do that, the corporation needs a name. I create some pretty boring names (though I thought Operation MegaPhone was pretty good - That was completely by accident that I came up with it, and I don't know how that happened.)

What do y'all think that name should be?

Okay, I'll start this game...How about "Politi-Call"

Okay, I'll start this game...How about "Politi-Call"

Hah, I like that one!

One thing to consider. If this thing generates enough money to do other stuff, it's entirely likely that other products will come out which aren't necessarily phone-based.

Here's some boring names I thought of.

American Innovations, LLC (available)
The American Company, LLC (available)
American Operations, LLC (available)

I kinda like American Operations, cuz it'd look like this:

Go to www.AmericanOperations.org
See Operation MegaPhone
Go to www.AmericanOperations.org/OperationMegaPhone
See what it's about
See www.INeedToCallCongress.com
See www.INeedToCallSomeoneElse.com
etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Huh... Well, what works for you? If you're just calling one dude, that's gonna be about 2 cents plus my 5 cents of profit, so 7 cents per call.

You could buy 7000 credits for $490 and call Mitt Romney 8 times a day for 875 days. Pushing it past 8 times a day might border on harassment, so I dunno if we want to go there. Uncharted waters, really, but that's where I want to go. Pioneering, you know?

What are good numbers to you? In an ideal world, what would this product do for you?

Oh I get it; its more of something for you to determine once you figure out your hard costs. That way you may find that for less than X calls its per call at .XX per call, or you can buy a month unlimited for Y, etc.

If you get your actual costs in line as well as including your start up costs as well as how many people you'd start with, I can help you figure out somewhat of a pricing scheme as far as larger 'subscription' based models.

Oh I get it; its more of something for you to determine once you figure out your hard costs. That way you may find that for less than X calls its per call at .XX per call, or you can buy a month unlimited for Y, etc.

If you get your actual costs in line as well as including your start up costs as well as how many people you'd start with, I can help you figure out somewhat of a pricing scheme as far as larger 'subscription' based models.

Thank you, sir. A once over on the business model would be helpful for sure.

What do you mean how many people I'd start with? I'm the only one working on this, if that's what you mean.

Thank you, sir. A once over on the business model would be helpful for sure.

What do you mean how many people I'd start with? I'm the only one working on this, if that's what you mean.

People are far as in initial subscribers/users.

If you don't know, since you're in early development, you then do a break even analysis as well as what can be done in offering price breaks/subscription bundles at certain points, etc.

If you don't know, since you're in early development, you then do a break even analysis as well as what can be done in offering price breaks/subscription bundles at certain points, etc.

Gotcha.

Yeah, I have no idea, man. It's intended to be a sort of reactionary device like some people have mentioned in this thread.

Congress does something stupid, go to www.INeedToCallCongress.com

That's probably going to be 90% of the use cases out there, and we may see 10s or hundreds of thousands jump on the bandwagon for a few days or weeks or whatever and then not come back for months (until congress screws up bad enough to warrant spending money on phone calls, that is)

Then there's folks like you that just want to dial one person repeatedly forever.

My costs, though, are pretty much fixed and factored into the 2 cents per call I quoted you earlier. I'm an automation engineer, so I don't really keep resources around that don't need to be, and my carrier gave me a flat rate of $0.0045 per minute, billed monthly. In most cases, it should go under $0.02, but in others it'll be over $0.02 by a little bit, but $0.02 ought to be a decent average that won't eat into my profits.

$0.03 would be well above what the worst case would be, so maybe just run with that.

My per-minute rates are gonna be at most $0.0045 regardless of if it's 1 call per month or 100,000,000 (I could negotiate lower in that case, actually, but there's no way congress could support 100,000,000 phone calls in a month. I'm theoretically limited by what THEY can handle.)

On top of that is incorporation fees and credit card fees which I'm not sure about, yet. BlueDog does 1.8% or something. That'll change the per-call rate a little.

incorporation should be a couple hundred bucks, so total startup costs are well below $1000 which is covered by donations from folks already.

I'm in a good spot.

If you could figure out how I could keep the AI backed solution cheap for everybody, THAT would be some really cool shit, but that takes the cost per call to around 28 cents per call. I don't think many takers would be interested in $150 to call congress once.

I get what you're saying, German.

I don't necessarily have to map calls to costs, I could say something to the effect of:

For $10/month you can send up to X number of calls. Some people would consume more resources than others, while some wouldn't even consume anything. Kinda like gym memberships.

That just feels dirty to me, though, but I do need money and this is a business.....

This article makes me laugh, given the context.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...one-calls-to-congress/?utm_term=.03f0b46740f0

Despite claims by administration officials that opposition efforts are being led by paid operatives, these calls do not sound scripted or prompted by professional activists. We hear from people who live in our district, and from residents of elsewhere in Wisconsin and throughout the Midwest, some who are contacting us for the first time. (We don’t put calls from people outside the district into our constituent database, but otherwise, we handle all the calls the same way.) Their authenticity is impossible to mistake. Their sentiments come from a genuine place of sincerity and alarm. And at the end of each week, when we convey their fears and frustrations to our boss, we discuss what we can do as public servants to address their concerns and the atmosphere of uncertainty that has been cultivated by this administration and its policies.

I’d like to know what the call complaints are about. Funny given our topic but this seems like a hit piece to me against Trump. I didn’t read the entire thing but the first part seems like complaints all against trump but it never says what about. In response to the lady calling about where she can go for care if the ACA was repealed, I’d like to know where one could go for affordable care for those of us forced to pay this BS. My family care costs went from $300 a month (totally affordable) to $1600 a month for less coverage after the ACA was passed. That’s significantly more than my house Payment. I will admit I had a ton to put down on the house but $1600 a month for insurance that is shitty insurance is not acceptable to me. The rich don’t care because they can afford whatever, the poor get subsidized and the middle class gets fucked up the ass for pay for this shit.

I’d like to know what the call complaints are about. Funny given our topic but this seems like a hit piece to me against Trump. I didn’t read the entire thing but the first part seems like complaints all against trump but it never says what about. In response to the lady calling about where she can go for care if the ACA was repealed, I’d like to know where one could go for affordable care for those of us forced to pay this BS. My family care costs went from $300 a month (totally affordable) to $1600 a month for less coverage after the ACA was passed. That’s significantly more than my house Payment. I will admit I had a ton to put down on the house but $1600 a month for insurance that is shitty insurance is not acceptable to me. The rich don’t care because they can afford whatever, the poor get subsidized and the middle class gets fucked up the ass for pay for this shit.

What else would you expect from WaPo? Complete lunacy.

I put some more realistic numbers together for you. Unfortunately, with it spelled out like this, it's become glaringly obvious that congress could never handle that many phone calls. It would literally be so backed up that it'd take weeks to deliver a call.

Lol.... We may have to include more officials right from the start. Call all of congress + all of every state + every company (facebook, google, et. al.)

I'm cool with that if y'all are.

########## SUBSCRIBERS ##########

Estimated number of monthly subscribers: 1400

Estimated number of power users: 168.0
Monthly calls from a power user: 26760
Monthly calls from power users estimate: 4497360.0

Estimated number of average users: 1050.0
Monthly calls from a average user: 3748
Monthly calls from average users estimate: 3938550.0

Estimated number of other users: 182.0
Monthly calls from a other user: 1607
Monthly calls from other users estimate: 292838.0

Total monthly calls: 8728748.0
Monthly costs for a power user: $200.70
Monthly costs for all power users: $33717.60
Monthly costs for an average user: $28.11
Monthly costs for all average users: $29515.50
Monthly costs for an other user: $12.05
Monthly costs for all other users: $2193.55
Monthly recurring charges: $108.00
Total monthly expenses: $65534.65
Total monthly expenses, buffered: $72088.12

########## ANGRY ONE-OFFS ##########
Estimated number of one-off callers that will occasionally show up when angry: 23765
Cost for a one-off call to congress: $4.03
Total one off campaigns: 23765
Total one off calls to congress: 12714275
Total cost of one off calls to congress: $95535.30

Last edited:
Short and sweet, this time.

I'm starting a corporation. Pretty sure I'm gonna call it "The American Project", but if the 'Hide jumps in with a better name, I'm all for it.

The purpose of this corporation is to provide political tools to the American people in order for all of us to have our voices heard in more meaningful ways than we've had up to this point, as well as get organized and start restoring sanity in our lives.

The first product is a web service called "I Need To Call Congress"

This product is intended to be used to deliver reasonable messages along the lines of, "Hi, my name is Jon Findley, from Texas, and I am calling to tell you that I hope you'll be supporting the Wall/HPA/National Reciprocity/etc/etc and reject any legislation that infringes on any of our inalienable rights. Thank you, have a wonderful day!", to every single member of congress with the click of a button. I believe in all free speech, however, so if you want to say "Fuck you, shithead!", I'm not going to stop you.

The purpose of this product is to harness the power of a fraction of a percent of all Americans, and use that power to remind Congress that we do or do not like what they're doing, in an entirely new and creative way.

Immediately upon navigation to www.INeedToCallCongress.com, visitors will see a big map of the US, and they'll see little phone icons heading from zipcodes across the US towards Congress. Clicking on a little phone icon will allow visitors to listen to the grievances of whoever sent that. (think https://www.fireeye.com/cyber-map/threat-map.html but in slower motion). They'll also see stats on how many calls have been sent, how many reached their target, how many failed, and how many are currently waiting for their chance to be delivered. They'll also see a way to sign up, craft their own payloads, and send them.

(Users can opt out of having their messages exposed to the world)

The information you'll need to provide in order to use this service:
1.) Zip code
2.) A phone number the service can reach you at in order to record your message
3.) Payment method
4.) e-mail address for sending receipts. (Opt in for product updates, promotional offers, etc.)

This product does the following:
1.) Allows you to create personalized messages with your own voice.
2.) Allows you to send those messages via individual phone calls to everyone in congress (or to any subset you wish) with the press of a button.
3.) Let everyone see the impact this product is having in an entertaining and awareness-enhancing way.

This product has the following limitations (so far):
1.) Phone systems are flakey and Congress can only support an estimated 1300 concurrent phone calls before they roll over to voicemail.
2.) Congress has limited voicemail space, so it's not always possible to deliver a message to voicemail.
3.) The federal government's phone system sucks and it's not always possible to deliver a message at all (busy signals, etc).

The reality is (so far):
1.) Some phone calls won't be delivered due to line issues. In this case, your call credit(s) will be restored so you can make more calls.
2.) Some phone calls will connect and be disconnected before the message can be completely delivered. In some cases, call credits will be restored.
3.) Some Congress people receive so much attention that their lines are almost always busy, mailboxes full, etc.
4.) This product will make every attempt to deliver phone calls and restore credits when all else fails.
5.) Sometimes it won't be possible to know that a call failed, and credit restoration will not happen.

There are (so far) two options for payment:
1.) Buy calls in units of 535 at a time for $5.
2.) Purchase subscriptions in tiers starting at $15/mo for 3 calls to congress (or 1605 individual phone calls to do with as you like)

Questions? Comments? I'd like to hear them.

Per our conversation, name this piece “The Clarion Call!” This idea and others we’ve talked about has a lot of potential. I’m excited about this. Obviously, don’t quit your day job but this could certainly earn you a decent side gig!

I'll be a regular user. I get at least 10 sales calls a day. I block the number EVERY time but to no avail!!!! At one point I tried calling my local rep every time I got an annoying call because I was on the no call list... I got tired of calling. But if you get that off the ground I'm in!!!

And another tangent, but what happens when your number is 'blocked' by congress, or individual representatives? Does your phone provider inform you of 'calls not accepted' and/or do they offer you a 'varying' bank of numbers that your service calls out from?

I really think you're on to something here, and it can turn out very well in the end. As long as others don't screw it up for you, and as long as 'they' don't invent charges and allegations and stuff, to prevent you from moving forward.

And another tangent, but what happens when your number is 'blocked' by congress, or individual representatives? Does your phone provider inform you of 'calls not accepted' and/or do they offer you a 'varying' bank of numbers that your service calls out from?

I really think you're on to something here, and it can turn out very well in the end. As long as others don't screw it up for you, and as long as 'they' don't invent charges and allegations and stuff, to prevent you from moving forward.

Congress will see calls coming from the real phone numbers of individuals across the country.

They can block one, tens, hundreds, thousands, whatever, if they want to. The hope is that every time they DO block someone's number (and I can detect that, and I WILL make it public), ten more join the service.

Considering Trump can't even ignore people on twitter, I doubt it'll be a quick thing for congress to block individuals from calling them. If they block any number using my service, they're blocking an individual from ever calling them from, e.g., their cell phone or landline.

It's just not gonna be an easy thing to address at all. I came up with a nice slogan... "You can delete my facebook posts, twitter twats, e-mails, etc, but you can't delete a fucking phone call!"

(Side note: Fuck this forum software is awesome. Thanks @Lowlight)