• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Operation Red Flag

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
Watch in full screen and in HD if you can.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSIFiQWtJgU&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSIFiQWtJgU&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Operation Red Flag

Because of rotations to the OIF/OEF I only got to do one Red Flag deployment but id say those missions were as dangerous as anything I did in Iraq or more so. You don't get to see that too much in the video since they seemed to focused on running around dropping flares, but in a real Flag there are a LOT of aircraft in multiple air-air fights, supersonic low levels, and lots of live ordnance. Huge midair threat, and it's easy to hit the ground in the low altitude fights.

Best training on the planet, but keeping your head on a swivel is the order of the day. Good times!

I have a question about missile how do you simulate long range kills with aim7s or amraams? I've always wondered about it because guns i can understand IR using seeker head for lockon tone and guns but radar guided baffles me (is it done in post flight as in two stages you get one stage at start of the engagement recording all radar locks and firings and then computer calculates the scores and pilots just proceed to merge and engage each other).
Also how do you practice evading an active missile if you don't have an actual information on it tracking you and no visual cues to put it to 3/9.

But as far as i've seem red flag is more of a squadron tactics and less individual dogfight training. I believe f-5 tigers were used to simulate migs during cold war.

It is both squadron level and individual all at the same time. Big long range fights break into smaller dogfights at the merge.

The pilot firing at you calls the kill based on certain criteria and you must kill remove if you haven't threat reacted in the meantime based on other criteria. Can't really say anything more about that. Every second of the fight is reviewed in debrief.

Red flag is awesome training because it is as close to full up war as you can have in training. Intense, because everything is there. A constant stream of "enemy" fighters to contend with, surface to air threats, terrain challenges, jammers, you will see it all. Lots of blue air too, so ROE and fratricide is a big challenge. You are constantly targeting, IDing, shooting, threat reacting, turning into fights or extending away from them, trying to survive to get to a ground target or protect the strikers you are supposed to protect.

With so much aircraft occupying so little sky at the same time, it goes to show how much skill these aviators have that they don't constantly have accidents.

Thanks for clarification thought there would be more advanced techniques to bvr but i guess even if there are are probably classified
smile.gif

I used to play a lot of sims during my younger days and my father in law was a pilot on a j-21 back in the 70ies and 80ies and still follow a bit what is going on...

Being in Red Flag as a 60 door gunner and helo crew is very tough. Slowest aircraft in the fight and we have to evade all of the fast movers to pick up downed friendly pilots or SF teams that need exfil or help.

At night I see a whole new set of moving constellations dropping flares and having sex in the air. Fun but tough.