• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion - Having Rem 700 LA Trued

Ringman308

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
East Tx
What's your opinion of having a new 700 LA trued?
Have it trued right off the bat or should you go through break in process and see how it operates?
Not planning on shooting comp.
Recreational shooting to hit stationary targets at 1,200+ yards.

If you were having a 700 trued, who do you recommend.

With the price Long Rifles Inc. has the service going for I'd just get it done in that group buy. I'd also have them do everything else for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a custom 308 by R&D and I sold it and bought a Savage 10 and did some mods to it. I figured that if my $600 Savage could shoot 3/4 MOA at 100 yards but a custom $3000+ gun could shoot 1/2 MOA, that just wasn't worth it to me.

Then I drank the Kool-Aid and had a custom 338 Lapua built. Do I see a huge advantage? No. But I built it exactly how I want down to the last little spec.

For a new shooter, you won't see any advantages with a custom gun IMO. Shoot a factory like a Savage 10 or R700P or SPS with some minor upgrades until you can truly outshoot the gun (I am honestly not close to that I don't think) and then go custom.

By the time that you buy a Remmy and have it trued and add a decent extractor you will have around $800 invested, you can buy a Stiller Tac 300 for $950... (unless you already own the Remmy)

. . . not unless you re-barrel at the same time.

You only stated you have 700LA. Is this a barreled action or complete rifle? If it is, shoot your present barrel out, then have at it. Spend what you would on truing on good ammo, or reloading equipment to develop a pet load.

Good point - it's barreled action.
26-in varmint contour - 700 xcr with 40-x
Got it used, un-fired in factory box

Just shoot it! You won't notice any significant difference in a trued action with the factory barrel.

If you true the action the gunsmith will have to re-cut your barrel threads and most likely replace your recoil lug while at it. Added costs for a still factory barrel performance.

Don't waste money until you have a new barrel spun for it. Odds are it's going to be plenty accurate for your needs anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot it first. It may shoot very well indeed.
I will, however, dissent with most folks here.
If you would like to have the barrel set back, rechambered and the action trued, there is nothing wrong with doing so.
As a matter of fact, several highly regarded smiths offer packages to do exactly that.
One is short action customs out of Ohio, another is Russel from Scout Supply, right here in Texas.
http://scoutsupplycompany.com/

Tac-OPs at one time offered the very same service, he apparently stopped doing them because he was too busy with full custom builds.

I was running a factory 5R mil-spec. It was a fine shooter. I had the action trued, barrel set back and rechambered. It did not result in more accurate rifle, but did result in a more consistent rifle. The 5R barrel was pretty damn good for a factory tube though straightness wasn't a virtue.

With the price Long Rifles Inc. has the service going for I'd just get it done in that group buy. I'd also have them do everything else for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What he said, though I would recommend a ptg bolt with a mini 16 extractor

I would recommend selling it and getting the Damn sig ssg 3000 for $1300 and being extremely done with it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

new remington actions are built on cnc machines just like customs. they dont need truing and are well made all around. I consider them bargain customs. older remmys often need a lot of work. several top smiths have also noted that new actions are excellent out of the box

Agreed. A newer action is cnc. Still...the sig is 3 lug with dbm, quick change barrels, a trigger that is as nice as the trg-22, and an excellent stock. And threaded 5/8-24 . For $1300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

I've been told the moly actions from Remington distort during heat treating, less so with stainless. I've been told customs are heat treated differently and cleaned up. I could be wrong.

Don't waste your money on truing a modern 700. Put your money into a top notch barrel, a good properly bedded stock and a good trigger.

Opinion - Having Rem 700 LA Trued

I'd spend money on getting the bolt handle secured before truing. Those things break off way too easily.

Shoot it till the barrel burns out and have to be replace. Get all you can out of the barrel that's on it now.
Then true the action when you need a new barrel put on.