• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion on how hot these 6.5x47 lapua loads are

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I have a 30 inch 4R 1-8 twist krieger barrel chambered in 6.5x47 lapua.

123 scenar
    Lapua brass
    44 grains of winchester staball
    Cci 450s
    3111 Avg FPS

140 berger hybrid target
    Lapua brass
    41.8 grains H4350
    Cci 450s
    2982 avg FPS

all loads were chronoed with a magnetospeed. I don't get stiff bolt openings, extractor swipes, or flattening of primers. I can fire 10 rounds in 90 seconds and reach up and grab the barrel and it isn't hot. I put the barrel on in January and I already have 800 rounds on it. Based on the loads presented does anybody have any idea how many rounds I can go before it would start to open up on me. I'm shooting PRS and it's my first season and I'm worried I'm not going to make it to October. I've been averaging a little over 2000 rounds a summer fucking around so I figured I would be good but I did the math yesterday and realized I was at 800. Thoughts?

I have a 30 inch 4R 1-8 twist krieger barrel chambered in 6.5x47 lapua.

123 scenar
    Lapua brass
    44 grains of winchester staball
    Cci 450s
    3111 Avg FPS

140 berger hybrid target
    Lapua brass
    41.8 grains H4350
    Cci 450s
    2982 avg FPS

all loads were chronoed with a magnetospeed. I don't get stiff bolt openings, extractor swipes, or flattening of primers. I can fire 10 rounds in 90 seconds and reach up and grab the barrel and it isn't hot. I put the barrel on in January and I already have 800 rounds on it. Based on the loads presented does anybody have any idea how many rounds I can go before it would start to open up on me. I'm shooting PRS and it's my first season and I'm worried I'm not going to make it to October. I've been averaging a little over 2000 rounds a summer fucking around so I figured I would be good but I did the math yesterday and realized I was at 800. Thoughts?
    If you gave case capacity of your brass and COAL i would crunch some numbers in Quicklod for you.

Warning, you most likely are going to get flamed based on your velocities alone, w/o taking into consideration of barrel length.

If you gave case capacity of your brass and COAL i would crunch some numbers in Quicklod for you.

Warning, you most likely are going to get flamed based on your velocities alone, w/o taking into consideration of barrel length.
    That's fine, bring on the flaming.

There both running about 10 thou off the lands plus what ever throat erosion has happened after 800 rounds on the tube

I'm at work now but I can get the case capacity later when I get home

Easy button is order another barrel, and develop a load for it. If I ever go to a match (won’t) I’m not going to have all my eggs in one basket.

I'm at work now but I can get the case capacity later when I get home
    I guess you were not asking if your load was in spec. You inquired about barrel life, thing is, no one can estimate that. Too many variables, say even if you have a stout charge of powder, your rate of fire would most likely be the determining factor.
    I apologize for the immediate side bar off your post.

I guess you were not asking if your load was in spec. You inquired about barrel life, thing is, no one can estimate that. Too many variables, say even if you have a stout charge of powder, your rate of fire would most likely be the determining factor.
    That's fine. I'm just wondering if anybody has a krieger barrel similar to mine and similar loads, if so how far did the barrel go. I know this is all speculation. I guess I should just order another barrel to be safe

Yeah, exactly. OP if you’re at 800 in April, I wouldn’t go into a season ending in October without a fresh barrel.

That's fine. I'm just wondering if anybody has a krieger barrel similar to mine and similar loads, if so how far did the barrel go. I know this is all speculation. I guess I should just order another barrel to be safe
    My Godson toasted a 6 Dasher in 1200 rds, little prick is a fucking legend.

The same barrel won’t mean the same results, even when shot by the same shooter at the “same” pace. Steels vary, powders change, etc etc.

Reactions: BoltRunner
    The same barrel won’t mean the same results, even when shot by the same shooter at the “same” pace. Steels vary, powders change, etc etc.
    I understand that. If 5 guys all have about the same loads with about the same barrel lengths and all got 2000 rounds out of it I would feel better but I guess I'm just looking for a reason to save the money on the barrel. I guess I'm calling krieger to play it safe

I’d say run the 140’s but back way off. Find a node down around 2800-2850. In my opinion, there’s no reason to really push it unless you need the velocity for hunting or something. By backing down, you’ll get longer barrel life, use less powder, longer case life, etc.

I’d say run the 140’s but back way off. Find a node down around 2800-2850. In my opinion, there’s no reason to really push it unless you need the velocity for hunting or something. By backing down, you’ll get longer barrel life, use less powder, longer case life, etc.
    I have a ruger rpr that's why I'm running the krieger pre fits. Well it's a 9 month lead time on barrels so I ordered 2 of them. So I'm gonna back off on charge weight if I can't find another barrel sooner.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
    I have a ruger rpr that's why I'm running the krieger pre fits. Well it's a 9 month lead time on barrels so I ordered 2 of them. So I'm gonna back off on charge weight if I can't find another barrel sooner.
    Your load isn’t too insane given the barrel length, just hotter than it needs to be, especially for prs

Reactions: jean-paul
    I ran your load in the Gordons Reloading tool app it is similar to Quickload.
    Without the exact bullet length case volume and COAL its accuracy will suffer but
    it shows that your 140 berger hybrid target load is way over pressure at around 70K PSI depending on COAL.

I ran your load in the Gordons Reloading tool app it is similar to Quickload.
    Without the exact bullet length case volume and COAL its accuracy will suffer but
    it shows that your 140 berger hybrid target load is way over pressure at around 70K PSI depending on COAL.
    I am not seeing any signs of pressure ony cases but that doesn't mean I'm ok. When I get home I will give you the COAL, right now all I remember is the base to ogive for both of those loads

Post a picture of the 140 HB brass if you could. I agree on backing that way off. Especially if your not going for long distance records lol. No need to kill your barrel for an extra FPS. If you want speed, try 130’s.

Also, what action are you using? Good luck on your season!

Post a picture of the 140 HB brass if you could. I agree on backing that way off. Especially if your not going for long distance records lol. No need to kill your barrel for an extra FPS. If you want speed, try 130’s.

Also, what action are you using? Good luck on your season!
    I am using a ruger RPR that was originally a 308win. My SD and es for the 123 was 3 and 7 and for the 140 hybrid target is 4.4 and 8. I didn't see pressure signs on the case and I liked them numbers so I ran with it. I knew they were stout loads but I didn't think I was running anything un safe

Firing pin turned down? I am surprised you haven’t gotten any primer flow.

I just remember this. When I measure the case head I'm getting about 1 thousand expansion on 8 out of ten cases and about 1.5 thousands expansion on 2 out of ten cases

I wouldn’t change a thing with those loads. I’d just buy another barrel. They’re stout, but the rifle seems happy. That extra 6” of barrel should net you around 200 fps over a 24”.

I wouldn’t change a thing with those loads. I’d just buy another barrel. They’re stout, but the rifle seems happy. That extra 6” of barrel should net you around 200 fps over a 24”.
    That's the problem is finding one. I purchased a bore scope today and it should be here next week. I'm gonna clean the barrel good and look for wear. Of it looks bad I'll have to hunt for one. Kriegers is 9 months out so no good. Seems like the ones I can get in the next few months are button rifled and I preferred cut but it is what it is

So I found a criterion prefit for 317 bucks. 26 inch length .820 at the muzzle. Only problem was its from optics planet so I hope I don't get jerked around. It was on sale, normally 490 which is the same price as criterion them selves minus the 20 week wait.

Use the criterion for practice (unless it’s better for some reason) and you’ll be golden for the season.

Would you think 90-120fps would be more likely? 15-20fps per inch.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    I think because he’s got a bit more pressure and velocity the delta is going to be closer to 30 fps/in. Just a guess though.

Ok case capacity filled to the brim with water and rubbing alcohol solution is 47.24 grains. I weighed 5 cases and did the average and then filled 5 cases and did the average and subtracted the 2.

123 scenar tip to tip is
    2.742"

140 berger hybrid target
    2.774"

Disregard the colors on the head of the cases, thats from marking my brass with a blue sharpie. I grabbed a handful of brass, but they all look this way

Attachments

• 20210419_203523(0).jpg
      20210419_203523(0).jpg
      378.3 KB · Views: 96
    This is my load data. This is after I fire formed the brass so the original list I started much lower. Around 37 grains. I just don't want anybody thinking I started this high

Ok case capacity filled to the brim with water and rubbing alcohol solution is 47.24 grains. I weighed 5 cases and did the average and then filled 5 cases and did the average and subtracted the 2.

123 scenar tip to tip is
    2.742"

140 berger hybrid target
    2.774"
    Entering those numbers, generic across the board, you are about 5K over pressure. IMO, Lapua 6.5x47 brass hides pressure signs better than any brass I have fired. Though I am sure their 308 Palma brass does the same well also.
    I will not tell you what to do concerning your load, unless all your shots have been fired in cooler weather, you may get some surprises once it warms up.
    Dixon at LRI offers Ruger prefits, or he did, I would not panic on barrel availability, maybe PVA does also.

Reactions: TRG65
    140 hybrid

Attachments

• 20210419_204110.jpg
      20210419_204110.jpg
      376.6 KB · Views: 67
    Entering those numbers, generic across the board, you are about 5K over pressure. IMO, Lapua 6.5x47 brass hides pressure signs better than any brass I have fired. Though I am sure their 308 Palma brass does the same well also.
    I will not tell you what to do concerning your load, unless all your shots have been fired in cooler weather, you may get some surprises once it warms up.
    Dixon at LRI offers Ruger prefits, or he did, I would not panic on barrel availability, maybe PVA does also.
    Ok thank u for helping, there is a good node about 100 fps slower on the 123 scenars and about 150 lower on the 140 bergers

123 scenar data

Attachments

• 20210419_204100.jpg
      20210419_204100.jpg
      368.6 KB · Views: 65
    Can u run the 123 scenar again but with 43.2 grains of winchester staball

Can u run the 123 scenar again but with 43.2 grains of winchester staball
    I cannot, my version is not updated enough to have Staball in it. And I am not familiar with it enough to know as to what powder would be similar enough to reference off it.

I cannot, my version is not updated enough to have Staball in it. And I am not familiar with it enough to know as to what powder would be similar enough to reference off it.
    Ok well thank u for the help I'm going to back off little air on the side of caution

Good call, I don’t think your giving too much by backing off a bit.

Also, I have ran criterion’s with great luck. No hesitation there.

I have a 28” bartlein barrel 6.5-47 Lapua shooting h4350 39.8 grain with 140 grain Berger vld in a Lapua brass federal match small primer flying 2920fps seem to shoot lights out.

I have a 28” bartlein barrel 6.5-47 Lapua shooting h4350 39.8 grain with 140 grain Berger vld in a Lapua brass federal match small primer flying 2920fps seem to shoot lights out.
    How many rounds u got on ur barrel

This is your answer stop worrying about how many rounds is it going to be when your throat is shot out compared to when someone else's barrel started to see accuracy drop off. Load, Speed, Powder, Rate of Fire, time between strings way too many factors for anyone to guess. Have another barrel or 2 on standby and when your accuracy starts to suffer and your completely sure carbon/copper fouling isn't the issue kick it in the trash. Too many guys think because someone's barrel was dead at 900rds or someone else got 4500rds out of there's that's what they are going to get. Ive got 2 Bartlein .264 1-8 twist and 1 Benchmark .264 1-8 twist on 3 different rifles I quit meticulously tracking when I thought they would die a long time ago, when it stops shooting bug holes toss it.

Reactions: Roperboy87
    This is your answer stop worrying about how many rounds is it going to be when your throat is shot out compared to when someone else's barrel started to see accuracy drop off. Load, Speed, Powder, Rate of Fire, time between strings way too many factors for anyone to guess. Have another barrel or 2 on standby and when your accuracy starts to suffer and your completely sure carbon/copper fouling isn't the issue kick it in the trash. Too many guys think because someone's barrel was dead at 900rds or someone else got 4500rds out of there's that's what they are going to get. Ive got 2 Bartlein .264 1-8 twist and 1 Benchmark .264 1-8 twist on 3 different rifles I quit meticulously tracking when I thought they would die a long time ago, when it stops shooting bug holes toss it.
    I completely understand all of that. 2 things. 1 I got a baby on the way, due in October and my wife is already bitching about the amount of money I spend every year. The goal was to try and figure out if it was necessary to spend another 600 bucks on a barrel if I might be able to get to the end of the season. If I had money out the ass I wouldn't of bothered even starting this thread I would just have 5 barrels, 2 custom rifles all dolled up ready to rock but I don't. 2 the wait times on getting a barrel are any where's from 20 weeks to 9 months so that was another factor on trying to get to the end of the season. I KNOW nobody can tell me when my barrel will be shot out. What I was looking for was similar barrels, loads as mine and how far did they get with them. Jesus christ

Reactions: Roperboy87
    I completely understand all of that. 2 things. 1 I got a baby on the way, due in October and my wife is already bitching about the amount of money I spend every year. The goal was to try and figure out if it was necessary to spend another 600 bucks on a barrel if I might be able to get to the end of the season. If I had money out the ass I wouldn't of bothered even starting this thread I would just have 5 barrels, 2 custom rifles all dolled up ready to rock but I don't. 2 the wait times on getting a barrel are any where's from 20 weeks to 9 months so that was another factor on trying to get to the end of the season. I KNOW nobody can tell me when my barrel will be shot out. What I was looking for was similar barrels, loads as mine and how far did they get with them. Jesus christ
    I understand just saying your going to rack your brain trying to guess, personally I think your worrying about spending money that you have no idea if you need or not. Bartlein just released info last week or so that its 12 months + wait time on barrels so even if you spend the money it aint coming anytime soon anyway so you might as well shoot, have fun, and enjoy your setup like it is.

I understand just saying your going to rack your brain trying to guess, personally I think your worrying about spending money that you have no idea if you need or not. Bartlein just released info last week or so that its 12 months + wait time on barrels so even if you spend the money it aint coming anytime soon anyway so you might as well shoot, have fun, and enjoy your setup like it is.
    You are correct there. I found another barrel that was already spun up so purchased that and I ordered 2 prefits from krieger for next year, ill have them in January. I just don't want my equipment to fail on me thats all. So live and learn. IDC what my wife says I'm buying everything

You are correct there. I found another barrel that was already spun up so purchased that and I ordered 2 prefits from krieger for next year, ill have them in January. I just don't want my equipment to fail on me thats all. So live and learn. IDC what my wife says I'm buying everything
    I totally understand not wanting your equipment to fail but I also think a lot of guys toss good barrels in the trash cause they think because they hit a certain number of rounds its dead, now your really wasting money. I understand the wife dilemma completely, tell her that your no longer spending any money on guns but your going to spend half that money on Alcohol, drugs and strippers and see how she feels about the gun spending.

• Haha
    Reactions: Oldloser
    I totally understand not wanting your equipment to fail but I also think a lot of guys toss good barrels in the trash cause they think because they hit a certain number of rounds its dead, now your really wasting money. I understand the wife dilemma completely, tell her that your no longer spending any money on guns but your going to spend half that money on Alcohol, drugs and strippers and see how she feels about the gun spending.
    Believe me I won't chuck the barrel unless I can prove that it's shot out but instead of buying a barrel I could be buying bullets, consumables, gas and match fees, shit like that. If it wasn't for the baby this wouldn't be a problem but she's not working so I'm the only one working. And if I had to guess I've prolly spent 5 grand this year between a new razor HD, bullets and dies for this new caliber ya know shit like that. She hasn't bitched yet but it's coming. She is control of the money but hasn't said no yet