• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinion on IOR

GMAC7949

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I have been looking for a mid-range priced scope for my new 308 build.
I have been reading alot and I'm thinking about a IOR Valdada; 4-14x50mm Tactical Scope; SIDE FOCUS.
Can anyone provide any feedback on this scope.
I have also been looking at a Falcon.
any and all advise is welcome.
crazy.gif

Re: Opinion on IOR

I owned one of the first cut snipers hide IOR scopes. Mine ended up breaking shortly after getting it but I was shooting a lot. So anyway it should have NEVER broke but it was a first off "beta" scope... I knew that I was getting into that when I bought it and thats what happens.

What I will say from this experience is that the IOR had some amazing glass. It was extremely bright and had wonderful resolution. The scope felt solid and was well made but I wasn't impressed with the build of the unit under the turret. I didn't like the way the turrets tightened and it made it difficult to make things line up properly without doing a bit of fidgiting. Granted I'm comparing it to NightForce and Schmidt & Bender so its still pretty good.

Last but VERY much not least is Scott @ Liberty Optics. The guy knows his stuff, is relatively easy to get a hold of, and supports his products. If you have any problems he makes sure its right and 100% takes care of the situation RIGHT NOW. He doesn't dilly dally around and delay. He does whats right and he takes care of you fast. Scott is a wonderful asset to the shooting community. I don't know Scott beyond business that I've done with him and have no monetary investment in Liberty Optics. Just wanted to give credit where its due.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned one of the first cut snipers hide IOR scopes. Mine ended up breaking shortly after getting it but I was shooting a lot. So anyway it should have NEVER broke but it was a first off "beta" scope... I knew that I was getting into that when I bought it and thats what happens.

What I will say from this experience is that the IOR had some amazing glass. It was extremely bright and had wonderful resolution. The scope felt solid and was well made but I wasn't impressed with the build of the unit under the turret. I didn't like the way the turrets tightened and it made it difficult to make things line up properly without doing a bit of fidgiting. Granted I'm comparing it to NightForce and Schmidt & Bender so its still pretty good.

Last but VERY much not least is Scott @ Liberty Optics. The guy knows his stuff, is relatively easy to get a hold of, and supports his products. If you have any problems he makes sure its right and 100% takes care of the situation RIGHT NOW. He doesn't dilly dally around and delay. He does whats right and he takes care of you fast. Scott is a wonderful asset to the shooting community. I don't know Scott beyond business that I've done with him and have no monetary investment in Liberty Optics. Just wanted to give credit where its due. </div></div>

If they ever offer that scope with illumination I think I'll have to try one.

The scope Im talking about is not the one built for the hide,
The IOR Valdada; 4-14x50mm Tactical Scope has a MP8 retical and mid tube turrets, 30mm tube and offered at around $1000.00,
The mid tube turrets should help on the adjustment problem for proper set up on a rifle. I understand that the 35mm tube design with the turret adjustment toward the rear of the scope is kinds hard to set up for proper eye relif.
Falar
Im not sure if your talking about the scope I am but they do offer this scope with illumination or without.

I've got a 2-12 and a 3-18. I love the MP8 reticle and the glass is amazing IMHO. Granted all I can compare them to is one NF and a couple of Leupold MK4's.

In looking at the web page, it looks like the 4-14 non illuminated has capped knobs. If these are like the ones on my 2-12, then they are a little different to reset and I usually have to reset them and then fire a group to double check to make sure I did not move the zero. I have more of a problem not moving the windage settings than elevation. That said, it works and once set, doesn't change. The clicks are positive when making adjustments.

In looking at the pics, it looks like the illuminated model has exposed knobs. These are easy to adjust and I like them better than the capped knobs.

The IOR illumination is a little too bright at the low settings, but has not proven to be a problem for me on callouts. That said, the illumination on the Mark 4 is better on the low end.

I second Scott at Liberty Optics. Give him a call and talk to him about your usage, wants/needs, and price range and he will talk with you. IOR may be the best choice or he may recommend something else.

I am very pleased with my IOR's as they fit my needs and have held up well. Adjustments have been very consistent and repeatable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope Im talking about is not the one built for the hide,
The IOR Valdada; 4-14x50mm Tactical Scope has a MP8 retical and mid tube turrets, 30mm tube and offered at around $1000.00,
The mid tube turrets should help on the adjustment problem for proper set up on a rifle. I understand that the 35mm tube design with the turret adjustment toward the rear of the scope is kinds hard to set up for proper eye relif.
Falar
Im not sure if your talking about the scope I am but they do offer this scope with illumination or without.
</div></div>

They also build another one for the 'hide, 3-18 FFP with the modified MP-8. I wasn't aware of the 4-14 made for us, I assumed you were talking about the 3-18 FFP scope, sorry.

I have been buying Leupolds for 15 years, but reading Sniper's Hide Optics forum got me interested in IOR.

6 weeks ago in Sniper's hide classified I got a used IOR 2.5x10x42 for $650.

I put the scopes on the bench and sighted on a house window trim 1500 yards away.
I moved my eye back and forth between 2 scopes being compared at the same magnification.

For clarity, the little IOR can beat the big Mk IV 8.5x25x50 that costs and weights more.

The IOR did not beat the Leupold by a huge margin, but by a real margin. The Leupold resolution at 12X with side focus is the same as the IOR at 10X with eyepiece focus.

That difference is probably academic, but the IOR cost $950 new and the Leupold cost $1580.

I can compare resolution by finding two parallel lines that are at the threshold of resolution, and storing that in the memory of my brain. But the brightness comparison is not as easy. My memory will not store brightness accurately, so I need to get the two scopes pointed at a object of the same brightness and all I have to do is move my eyeball back an forth. That target 30 degrees apart is not easy to find today. The sky is not of uniform brightness with variations in clouds. Both scopes are the same brightness on any magnification, so lower magnifications take in more sky hard angle for a more homogeneous brightness. Still it is a hard test today, and maybe the IOR is 20% brighter or maybe the Leupold is 5% brighter, I can't tell. I will test again when the sky is more uniform.

What does it all mean?
Oi, am I happy with my IOR!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope Im talking about is not the one built for the hide,
Falar
</div></div>

They also build another one for the 'hide, 3-18 FFP with the modified MP-8. I wasn't aware of the 4-14 made for us, I assumed you were talking about the 3-18 FFP scope, sorry. </div></div>
Thats OK Falar
there are so many scopes on the market. no I saw the one made for the Hide but I was trying to keep my cost down and still get a good scope.
I really like the mp-8 retical, and the IOR Valdada; 4-14x50mm Tactical Scope does have tactical turrets without covers. I was hopeing that someone on the Hide had one and could comment on it.
How is the Warr.and customer service with IOR ?

My experience with I.O.R. wasn't so good. I bought one of the 3-18 models back when Microsoft was running that huge Ebay promotion. I got it for about $1500 shipped which i thought was a great deal. The vender had the scope drop shipped from I.O.R. When I got the scope out of the box and started adjusting it I was amazed at it's clarity. I honestly don't think I've ever owned a scope that was that clear in my entire life. I was simply amazed.

That's about all the fun I had with it. while the scope was in my hands (never mounted) I turned the side focus knob and heard a loud pop. I thought to myself "What the hell was that?" When I looked through the scope again there was line running through the image! Obviously one of the internal lenses cracked. I guess it was in a bind and when I turned the focus knob that's all it took.

Here is the part that pissed me off. I called I.O.R. and this guy wants to know what I did to the scope. After I tell him what happened he accused me of crushing the scope tube! I think steam was coming out of my ears when I told him the scope had never been mounted. Then he asked me if I dropped it! He said all scopes are tested before shipping and nothing was a matter with the scope and this couldn't have happened the way I explained it! At that point I came unglued and asked him what his problem was. I asked him if he thought I was making this S%&* up or what. At this point I think he caught himself and apologized. Said to send the scope back and he was sure it could be fixed and not to worry. It cost me about $26 to send the scope and of course it couldn't be fixed and of course they didn't have anymore in stock and of course it was going to be awhile before they could replace it.

About 7 weeks later I got the replacement scope. I held my breath and turned the knobs. Nothing broke this time. But, (and this is a big BUT) the scope didn't have anywhere near the same clarity as the first one. Needless to say I was very disappointed. After dealing with their C/S before I didn't think I was up to the task again. My confidence was gone in the company and the product. I sold it at a loss and moved on.

Terry

I sent my 3-18 back as there were a couple little bubbles in the bottom 1/3. They weren't noticeable all the time and didn't affect a thing. I ran the claim through Scott and he arranged for me to send it back to Valdada. I had a new scope a week later.

I can say that if you buy from Scott, you shouldn't have any problems.

scott?

yes, scott. the owner of liberty optics.

why in the world someone would want a scope that adjusted in moa and had a mil reticle is beyond me.
ior has a ffp mil/mil scope for under a grand. life gets much easier when everything matches.

Your right pdd but only goes to 10x Im still thinking on this one aswell.
I wasnt sure who Scott was, thanks for the heads up!

By the way I'm getting Married on Saterday so if anybody wants to get this for me for a wedding present that would be great!!
haha

i only say that because i hate trying to call our misses in both moa and mils

Thinking about IOR? You need to Pay Attention to this man!
I had a similar experience with 2 IOR scopes. (slow learner)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TC1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <<generous snip....>>

Here is the part that pissed me off. I called I.O.R. and this guy wants to know what I did to the scope. After I tell him what happened he accused me of crushing the scope tube! I think steam was coming out of my ears when I told him the scope had never been mounted. Then he asked me if I dropped it! He said all scopes are tested before shipping and nothing was a matter with the scope and this couldn't have happened the way I explained it! At that point I came unglued and asked him what his problem was. I asked him if he thought I was making this S%&* up or what. At this point I think he caught himself and apologized. Said to send the scope back and he was sure it could be fixed and not to worry. It cost me about $26 to send the scope and of course it couldn't be fixed and of course they didn't have anymore in stock and of course it was going to be awhile before they could replace it.

About 7 weeks later I got the replacement scope. I held my breath and turned the knobs. Nothing broke this time. But, (and this is a big BUT) the scope didn't have anywhere near the same clarity as the first one. Needless to say I was very disappointed. After dealing with their C/S before I didn't think I was up to the task again. My confidence was gone in the company and the product. I sold it at a loss and moved on.

Terry </div></div>

Until IOR in Romania decides to do something about their USA operation, consider that IOR Valdada has only TWO employees, no technical service capability, and is Very Reluctant to honor their warranty. Anything goes wrong with their stuff, they will assume you broke it. Their warranty is not transferable. If your scope needs repair, prepare to wait while it goes back to Romania!

If IOR Valdada was about anything more than enriching the distributor, they would use scope tubes that don't crush with over 15 inch pounds of ring cap torque, have a tech service dept to enable custom reticle and turrets, offer a variety of reticles, and promote their brand.

Did you spend $1300+ on an IOR and get lens quality about equal to a coke bottle? I did. Send it back and owner says "looks okay to me, buddy."

You have been warned.

Thanks for everyones input!!
I also talked to Scott with Liberty Optics, By the way he is a great Guy and very helpful!
SUPPORT OUR VENDERS!!!!

I have a 6 x 24 tactical 34mm tube,illuminated MP8 reticle FFP
Ii bought from a member here that I will sell for $900
It's already cerakote FDE or desert tan....

Glass is awesome!

1/4 moa turrets though!

I have two- a 6-24 and the 4-14FFP on Rem700's in 8mmRM and 308 respectively. Both have worked for me flawlessly. Scott at Liberty Optics has taken care of me well. You will have no problem with the current FFP IOR scope

ordered a 2.5-10 ffp from Scott yesterday!!
thanks for everyones opinion!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Until IOR in Romania decides to do something about their USA operation, consider that IOR Valdada has only TWO employees, no technical service capability, and is Very Reluctant to honor their warranty. Anything goes wrong with their stuff, they will assume you broke it. Their warranty is not transferable. If your scope needs repair, prepare to wait while it goes back to Romania!

If IOR Valdada was about anything more than enriching the distributor, they would use scope tubes that don't crush with over 15 inch pounds of ring cap torque, have a tech service dept to enable custom reticle and turrets, offer a variety of reticles, and promote their brand.

Did you spend $1300+ on an IOR and get lens quality about equal to a coke bottle? I did. Send it back and owner says "looks okay to me, buddy."

You have been warned. </div></div>

Ed,

I'm getting a little tired of your high-browed rants, your thread crapping and your "woman scorned" mentality. I've had enough of your under-handed potshots too (see: your posts in my 2009 SHOT Show report questioning my ethics/integrity). Took me awhile to figure out who you were but now I've got your number.

You had a bad experience with IOR. You felt cheated. You got pissed. Your every waking moment you think of ways to get even. We get it.

Hiders,

Ed here called me quite a ways back ostensibly to buy something, but after awhile it turns out he wanted my to take care of his IOR problem. He apparently bought a 2-12x32 second or third hand and had issues with it / didn't like it. IIRC, I suggested he take it up with the seller, but I guess it didn't go very well. He wanted me to arrange for him to get a free one, I did the best I could, but since he didn't buy it from me Val told me to mind my business. Hard to argue with that. When I told Ed what was happening, he became very unpleasant, threatening, and profane. He also apparently left a nice message at Valdada that is being retained as evidence in case he followed through on his threats to sue. Temper, temper, Ed!

Here are some facts:

In the nearly 6 years I've been doing this, every customer but one who had a defective IOR scope had it replaced with a new one. ALL BUT ONE. And the one I didn't know about until the customer contacted nearly three months after he sent the scope in. That scope was sent for repair.

Valdada is indeed a small outfit, without a repair facility, but the new scope replacement policy negates the need for one.

The IOR warranty does transfer. If the paperwork stays with the scope it makes it easier, but the warranty does not only apply to the original buyer.

The owner/importer's of IOR's demeanor and bedside manner is well documented. Probably why he hired a hand who is more customer service oriented. The inprovement in CS of Valdada is well documented too.

"<span style="font-style: italic">If IOR Valdada was about anything more than enriching the distributor</span>...?" Haha that's a good one. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. The margins for IOR scopes are pitifully small and always have been. The situation has improved somewhat the last couple years as Valdada has introduced a new price structure but IOR still has the smallest margins of any product I sell (right there with Leupold).

While I never looked at the scope you mention that looked like a Coke bottle, the optical quality of the IOR scopes has <span style="text-decoration: underline">never</span> been a weak point. It's the mechanical integrity that has been questioned. No doubt there are scopes in the line that have had more than their fair share of issues, but there are other scopes in the line that hardly have any issues. How do I know? Because I sell them, Ed, and I have DATA. Something you don't.

I've been transaparent with all of this, your charges notwithstanding.

Hiders,

I've also read some of the "holier than thou" posts that Swamper aka Ed puts up concerning all kinds of shooting topics, and some of you may wonder if he is some kind of operator or hotshot or high speed commando that bears heeding. He is obviously intelligent and uses carefully chosen verbiage in in making his (verbose) cases. Don't be fooled. He's just an ex insurance (IIRC, or maybe real estate or banking) hairball that got rich in Texas and retired and bought a side of a mountain in Alaska so he could be a bigshot (or perhaps to put miles of woods between his house and the nearest road so his family would be less inclined to escape?).

In other words, he's just an ass, who likes to hear himself talk.

Liberty out.

Well Scott I have to admit you have a way with words that I admire..

I will have to say that my IOR has glass that is flat out killer
It's build is solid as well,,my only bitch is a small one and that's
mainly my fault as I removed the screws on the elevation turret to zero it after zeroing it on my rifle and well if you know about IOR tacticals
then you know what happens...

The new models look sweet and have improved the turret but after seeing the Premier Heritage I know what I'm saving for.

I dealt with scott and Val directly on email and phone numerous times and I can't bitch they fixed it for me for free and were all around nice guys.

They did accidentally send me another cat's scope that is similar to mine but beat to shit with a banged up bell and was cerakoted green,
shit I'd bet he's a member here..

I mailed it back to them and received mine after a few weeks
I'd go with Liberty optics if I was to go the IOR route though.

I say give em a break they're trying and do sincerely give a shit!
and with a trade for a new model policy,you can't go wrong..
They are rock solid scopes..and the MP8 reticle is worth a mint
If they were shit I would tell you so...I pull no punches.

Don't worry about IOR, Scott really makes them shine.
I have a first run SH IOR. I should take pics of it one of these days, I use it. I like it on my 308 better than my USO canadian. Only scope I have that gave me those warm fuzzies. Maybe I wasn't expecting so much from IOR, but what I got is great.

I have one of the old school IOR 3-18 SFP MOA scopes and I like it better then the Nightforce I had. It has never given me any trouble, the glass is superior to that of the NF and I prefer the MP8 reticle to that of the real thin crosshairs on the NF.

Scott Berish, your reputation proceeds you. Back when I bought my IOR I found out about you after I made my purchase and felt that I somewhat cheated myself by not buying my scope from you after reading all the great reviews about Liberty Optics.

That said, it doesn't change a thing about what I received from I.O.R. or the way I was treated. I honestly don't think this scope wasn't fully tested and the bugs worked out before it was released. To me that's a bad thing considering the nature of the product. Also, the guy that I dealt with over there shouldn't be allowed to talk to customers on the phone. He just doesn't have the talent for it. After my first conversation with the man I felt like I had been on the phone with the "Soup Nazi" from the Seinfeld show.

Here is a picture of the scope I bought. See the crack in the lens in the lower left corner? that was coused by nothing more than turning the parralex (SP?) adj!
RTARD%20002.JPG

What caused it to happen, I don't have any idea. I just know it shouldn't have and especially on a scope that cost this much. The part that really got me though was the replacement scope optictly wasn't nearly as good as the 1st one. it just wasn't as sharp.

I do hope others are getting great service out of theirs.

Terry

I own 2 IOR scopes.

A 10 X 56 and a 4-14 X 50.

The 10 X 56 is on my 50BMG and has never had any issues.

The 4-14 X 50 is on my 308 and same as above.

For the money and clarity, they simply can't be beat.

Don't have any complaints about my IOR 2-12, tracks and the glass is exceptional. I bought mine with the CQB retical and use it on a gas gun, great scope for that application. Buy from scott and you will sleep well at night.

I've never heard of an IOR scope tube crushing under 15 inch pounds of torque. I have a 4-14X50 with exposed knobs that I bought from Liberty Optics and it's been great. Torqued the rings to 25 inch pounds like always and had no problems at all! Maybe I got a super duper IOR or something!! LOL. Seriously, the glass is excellent, much better than my Leupold MK4, tracks perfectly, turrets are much better than on my MK4. The turrets on my MK4 are a little mushy but that's not the case with the IOR. I am completely satisfied with mine and you couldn't ask for a better guy than Scott to deal with!

gmac, I just saw in your post that this is the scope you are thinking about. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. I absolutely love mine. I've had a Falcon as well and while it was a good scope for the price, it's not in the same ballpark as the IOR. It will serve you well!

I've got a 10x 56mm lit reticle scope. It's solid. It's been on my .280 AI for about 500 rounds. I never use the lit reticle. The glass is so good that at sundown the view is actually better through the scope by far then with the naked eye. I'll say I like it a lot. It is heavy though. I've often wondered if I wouldn't have done better sometimes with a fleet of IOR's vs. some other higher priced scopes. But, of the higher priced scopes I've never had a problem with them and have some options I couldn't get with IOR.

The new models look sweet and have improved the turret but after seeing the Premier Heritage I know what I'm saving for.
[/quote]

c99 You said had seen the new model, were can I see one?
I'm waiting on the release of the new 2.5-10x it will have new exposed turetts and the same MP-8 retical as the SH unit!
This is what I ordered from Scott, he said 6-8 weeks to get one.
I would like to see some info on it and a pic!!!

I like my SH 3-18X42. The windage clicks are a little softer than Elevation, but I hold off for windage anyhow.

Scott actually called me at my home one Friday night when I was having a problem with IOR. He was very concerned and spent a lot of time with me. He shared a number of instances that he was aware of that IOR hadn't handled correctly in his opinion, and told me he refunded or bought new scopes for guys who bought through him to keep them happy and (I guess) make his reputation.

Seemed like a stand up guy.

I never bitched at you once Scott, and I damn sure never questioned your integrity.

The integrity that I question is the optics company that allows a 2 man show to represent them in America.

Other distributors I talked with 2 yrs ago reported similar problems with IOR. But these guys still sell this crap, and take the dings they have to from "valdada".

I owned a 10x 50mm MP8, a 4-14 illum MP-8, and a 2-12x MP8. The 4-14x was bought used, and had ring creases. When that scope broke a cheap metric turret screw; just snapped off when I was setting the zero, I returned it to IOR. IOR gave me the 3rd degree about over-tightening the ring cap screws, and told me that it showed I had not read the instructions. They DO state not to tighten over 15 inch pounds on ring cap screws.

I felt lucky that they pulled the broken screw out without a charge. Whew!

When I got the brand new 2-12x that would not focus center reticle or area outside the center at magnification ranges from 2-4.5x, or from 9.5-12x; I called IOR to see if I was missing something. Scott and Val both told me they had "...some issues with the 6x multiplier scopes" and "You didn't buy this scope to use a low power did you buddy? Just crank it up and enjoy it." Well, the scope gave a sight picture that was inferior to a coke bottle, so I returned it.

IOR sent me a letter saying they examined the scope and found nothing wrong. So I sold the scope. IOR also claimed I had sent a scope in that evidenced hard field use and wear, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Leupold has fixed 3 scopes for me over the years, never a bit of concern that I mistreated one, and no hemming/hawing about their warranty. (IOR did tell me that as I was not the original owner of the 4-14 that the warranty may not apply.)

Trying to paint this as "personal" as Berish has done is pretty low-down in my book.

The guy above shows you the cracked lens, says he didn't break the scope. IOR has only 2 employees in America. That tells you what they think of your business.

Berish remarked that it was only recently (2 yrs ago) that Val hired his first employee; that things had been worse.

When I spend the money I have, even on used gear, to buy an IOR product, I don't expect to be grilled like a criminal suspect for insurance fraud if their product breaks.

And if Berish wants to re-read my comments on the shot show thread, I think he will see I never impugned or maligned him.

All the distributors I talked to griped about the IOR American distributor.

A riflescope is a very complex machine/instrument. More than any other rifle component, they have failures and suffer damages. If you buy IOR, be aware that they have no service techs, or repair dept; unless things have changed.

Leupold & Stevens have over 650 employees and a large custom and warranty dept and staff. IOR has 1 employee who sometimes answers the phone. When I was calling them, they had some old cassette tape phone answering machine with a scratchy message. You can't even give crap like that away to Goodwill anymore, but IOR figures it's all they need to serve you with the quality you deserve.

The author of this thread was seeking opinions on IOR scopes. Until you have an IOR experience with being denied a reasonable warranty or service request, your opinion don't mean jack.

I did call Bill Ackerman to see if he could work on the 2-12x scope. He told me the description I gave him indicated there was oil or other impurities on the reticle, but he could not work on their stuff.

Let Berish tell you about how Valdada specified lighter weight tubing in the scopes the Romanians build for them to sell here, and that is why the rings crush the tubes. Probably not a problem in the European market where they use better tubing. My remaining Bucuresti IOR is stout and you can crank on the ring screws (no warranty).

If IOR would fund a real distribution and service center, they might really be able to grow a business that could serve the precision shooting community, rather than just feed off it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

c99 You said had seen the new model, were can I see one?
I'm waiting on the release of the new 2.5-10x it will have new exposed turetts and the same MP-8 retical as the SH unit!
This is what I ordered from Scott, he said 6-8 weeks to get one.
I would like to see some info on it and a pic!!! [/quote]

My apology
I don't mean that I've seen some new model that has yet to be released
but the newer tactical models with the large exposed elevation knob,Scotty has them on his site
http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

The newest releases are of course the 40mmm main tube models..
I'd consider the new snipers Hide model if it was a lit reticle

The other models don't have Mil Mil properties with the lit reticule

I can't seem to find the complete combination that I want..
so I'll either grab up a nice used 3 x 15 heritage or wait for a new
5 x 25 Premiere Heritage.

I will miss the MP8 reticule,,I was able to watch my girlfriend place a match round through the center of a penny @ 100M on her first time shooting this Jeff Hicks AI hot rod with a 6 x 24 tactical IOR...

The dot is that precise.... glass likened to a coke bottle from Schott Glassworkz in Germany is hard for me to swallow...

But shit who knows ,if he says so, I can't argue it having never seen it!

There is a new 2.5-10x 42mm, 30mm tube ffp with 10mil tac knobs
with the new mp-8 rectical unvieled at the NRA show this weekend.
I have a order with Scott for one of these as soon as they are released. the mp-8 is like the one designed for the sniper hide unit. This should be the ticket!! and its mil/mil.
The wait is killing me.

Ive got the 2.5-10 i bought from Brownells aroudn 4 years ago. The glass is amazing very similar to my S&B. However there are scope ring marks on the tube that im not happy with. I must have tighted it too much my all the other scopes ive got doesnt have marks on them? I did have it mounted on my muzzleloader 3years ago and the rubber ring popped off the back. I called IOR and they told he they were gonna send one out free of charge. Well 1.5 months went by and nothing. I called them again and it was sent out this time. I really like the scope but im not happy with the marks on a $1000.00 dollar scope. Scott is there anything that can be done about this??

"The dot is that precise.... glass likened to a coke bottle from Schott Glassworkz in Germany is hard for me to swallow..."

Aside from its weight which was pushing 3lbs with rings on that 2-12x IOR, the scope was really amazing. Mounted it up about 6-7pm the night it arrived, checked it on the collimator and put it aside. Next morning focusing the crosshairs and adjusting parallax on a Spruce tree branch (has lots of fine, tiny needles that really show something in-focus), I noticed the sight picture had lots of distortion.

At 50 or 75yds, on low or high power settings, as reported above, the scope distorted large print on a packing box so much that it was illegible. The image looked rather fish-eye like contorted.

When the parallax was tuned and reticle adjusted for sharpness, items outside of the reticle center area looked cloudy. When the scope was adjusted to render the outer area image sharp, the center reticle area was muddy.

Bill Ackerman told me this description was consistent with a glass reticle that had oil or other impurities on it.

Maybe if IOR had a Technical Dept, they could have cleaned the reticle. I don't recall if they offered to send the scope back to Romania or not. I do recall the IOR-Valdada owner telling me he took the scope outside and focused it on some distant buildings and "it looked fine to me". That is the extent of their "technical evaluation".

IOR actually told me "some of our 6 multiplier scopes have even worse distortion ranges than you are reporting, so in a way you are lucky".

Was the lens grinding at fault? Schott probably doesn't knowingly release defectively ground lens elements. Yet, the complexities of arranging them and in making a 6 multiplier erector system are undoubtedly many.

IOR probably sells more non-military contract scopes in the USA than anywhere else in the world. Why they cannot see their way to serve this market in a professional and competent manner is easy to answer; they don't give a damn.

I am still ticked about Berish's bitch about my "questioning his integrity".

When the guy tells you he knows that IOR-Valdada specifies a cheaper, lighter grade of aluminum tubing for USA market to cut costs, and that is why the scope tubes crimp and crease; yet the same guy keeps selling their shit, his integrity is not in question.

Sometimes, in business, you have to walk away from "opportunities" that could make you money. Nobody is gonna die from having an IOR crimped tube on their scope. This is not a Pinto with an exploding gas tank, but selling shit you know is produced to substandard quality levels is not something anyone with "integrity" does.

Actually IOR-Valdada selling scopes with tubes that can crimp is about no different from the chinese phony leupold producers. Neither is the "real thing".

My 6x IOR Bucuresti is tough as nails, and the other Bucuresti I had for a while, 8 or 10 by 56mm with illum reticle was very tough and very heavy. The 56mm was another boat anchor of a scope in the weight dept.

Optics are pretty subjective. I used to use a cheap Calumet 4x5 View Camera. A tripod mounted, black hood over the focusing back, sheet film camera. Not an expensive Zeiss lens on that camera for sure. I once made a very enlarged print from a tiny area of one of these negatives. It was a landscape, and about 300 yds away was car. The camera perspective captured the driver's window of that car and the blow-up showed a duck on the lawn on the otherside of the car. (The photo was taken at a city park.)

Point is a cheap camera lens will give resolution sufficient to deliver that kind of performance without distortion, why does a company sell product for $1300+ which they know "has issues" and distorts at upper and lower ranges of magnification?

I'm needing a bit more power than 10x so I'll be interested to hear what they have in a 24x or a 14 0r 16x

I'm not really sure what all the concern about some marks the rings left on a scope?

Me personally could give 3 shits about some marks,,just spray it with some paint,,,seriously guys it's a gun to drag into the fields and for some into enemy territory to whack some fool!

I'm not the type to give my sticks 2 coats of wax and some armor all after shooting them, clean the bore and oil the wear points.

end of story!!

Glamour Sticks be Damned!!!

A crimp or crease is not a ring mark.
It is an indentation of the tube, and if it happens in the wrong location, your scope might just become non-functional.

Yeah, finish wear is no big deal, but creases in the scope's maintube will impair your ability to mount the scope with full range of location.

15 Inch Pounds is a very light torque value. Try to torque any ring cap screw much over 30 ip and it could snap. Ever break a #6 or #8 screw off in a hole? Better hope it breaks flush at the top because otherwise it is too tiny to remove except by drilling it out, and a hardened screw shank will very much resist a tiny diameter drill bit.

The crimps that were on the 4-14 scope I bought used were likely over .02 deep, maybe deeper. .02 is about six hair thicknesses.

I have had a Leupold scope with lots of finish wear, but never any crimping. I have seen no other scope with ring crimps, but many have reported the condition on their IOR-Valdada product.

So, we are not talking about a ring rash bit of finish wear here, this is indentation of the maintube, just to be clear. If your IOR-valdada scope has a problem and crimped tube, valdada could deny warranty claim based on the crimping being evidence of "abuse". Only ones being abused are their customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let Berish tell you about how Valdada specified lighter weight tubing in the scopes the Romanians build for them to sell here, and that is why the rings crush the tubes. Probably not a problem in the European market where they use better tubing. </div></div>

Mr. Hogan,

It's rude and contemptful to address somebody by their proper name without using a surname. Par for the course, though; I'm sure your foaming at the mouth now that you've been outed.

You can ask "Berish" all you want about thinner IOR tubes being spec'd for the US market, the answer will be the same. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, and you're full of it. Your credibility in my eyes has dropped from slim to none. Your statement is a complete lie.

You damm well did challenge my integrity in your original un-edited posts. I saw it, and others saw it. You are also doing so now, albiet in a more open and direct manner. Hey, that's progress (for you).

I dismissed you as some sort of anonymous malconent, but after finding out who you were, it was time to shine the spotlight on the cockroach. That's why this is being addressed at a personal level, for the undecided who might be swayed by the cognitive dissonance you are adept at creating (the Good Lord gave me a little gray matter too, BTW).

What's lowdown and underhanded is taking potshots behind the veil of an anonymous internet forum handle at a company that, by your own admission, took the time to try to assist you with an issue in which there was no chance of making a sale or making money. For that, I get stabbed in the back. Your book, no doubt, was written by George Hayduke.

I have a right and a responsibility to defend myself and the business I own.

By your own admission, you have used/owned IOR scopes that have worked well for you, and some that haven't. Pretty much what I said, wasn't it?

Your postings show you do not understand the relationship between IOR and Valdada.

I've always been blunt, open, honest, and transparent (I like that word) in conducting my business, even if it costs me a sale. I've got a body of cyber-work 6 years long to prove it, among the countless emails, PMs and phone calls that interacted with thousands of people.

Do you recall the story of the Sniper's Hide FFP 3-18? Can you imagine how excited I was to finally bring this to market? Can you imagine how sick I was when the scopes started dropping like flies? How did I handle that, Mr. Hogan? Did I bury that info in the backyard and keep taking money from my "unsuspecting" customers knowing these scopes were being returned? No sir, I got up here and posted the reality for all the world to see, knowing my wallet was going to take a big hit and I might have been finished as a dealer here. But the alternative was unacceptable to me. It was a rough patch and I weathered the storm. Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Hogan.

Am I opinionated? Yup. Abrasive? Sometimes. Always right? Nope. But deceitful or dishonest in my dealings? Sitting on inside info that proves I'm knowingly screwing over my customers? No, screw you. You're a jerk, and prove it with every post.

It's too bad, you seem intelligent and have some talent, but that energy is wasted sharpening axes and putting others down because you think they're stupid. We reap what we sow.

The fact is there are no shortage of IOR haters here, and I'm not defending IOR or Valdada. You can slam them all you want, such is your right, but I ask you leave Liberty Optics out of it. We've done nothing to you to earn being thrown under the bus (other than calling you out for your agenda).

The fact is if the Hide owner or the members here thought I was conducting business in an unsavory manner I wouldn't be here long. Lowlight can and has eliminated vendors who don't measure up, and guys here aren't afraid to vote with their wallets.

Like you, I'm "just a guy". The difference is, I realize it and you don't. My questions for you, Mr. Hogan, are this: What are bringing to the table here at the Hide? What are you contributing here for the betterment of the shooting community? All I've seen from you here in the Optics forum is you rail against high end "specialized" optics, lecture against scopes that are "too heavy" or have "too much magnification", warn of the "dangers" of buying from "boutique" optics manufacturers, forewarn of impending doom to anybody who buys an IOR product, and other preachy nonsense. All while leaving the reader to believe you might actually be somebody. C'mon, man.

My advice to the other members here is to take you with a large grain of salt, at best, or to ignore you completely, at worst. But that's just my opinion, based on my expererience with you. Others will make up there mind as they may.

Hiders,

It's never any fun going to this level but this is a rare case where I felt it was warranted. You are indeed a very clever man, Mr. Hogan. You did a smooth job avoiding detection for some time.

I'm finished here, I said what I needed to and everyone here knows where I stand. If anybody has any questions about any of this give me a call or drop me a line.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

"Berish"

Hola Scott,

Ok folks, I have an opinion on IOR and Scott both. Scott sold me my first *Good* Scope: an IOR 3x18x42-35 'Flea' scope. That was a while back, and that scope has seen quite a few field outings. The scope has been 100% trouble free for me. The optics are very good, perhaps even honestly great. This scope has taken a couple fairly tough field tumbles and it has a couple marks on it now, but the function of this scope remains fully intact in all ways. I can not ask for more than this scope has given me in actual field usage. This scope changed the way I shoot, and certainly helped me to shoot better. And no, it does not squeeze or 'yank' the trigger for me
wink.gif

Now as for Scott, the next good scope I buy, he will get first shot at selling to me. Period! He is a totally stand up guy, and when I had questions early on he was right there and his advice was spot on. His help was truly appreciated, and professional at all times.

Just keeping it real,
GShep

Well it looks like everyone other than really one person had good things to say about IOR.
Scott is a stand up guy and with talking to him I trust what he tells me!
I have ordered a IOR for my 308 build and think I made a good decision. If I had the extra money I would had went with a Premier, pdd is a friend of mine and he did order one I will have to gaze through his.
Thanks Hide brothers and Scott with Liberty Optics!!
Support our Vendors!!!

I will chime in here, I have purchased a number of scopes from scott, I have shot with scott, great guy period. Regarding IOR scopes, I own six of them in a few different configurations. They truely are great scopes. Have I had trouble with a couple of them, yes. My first ever IOR was a 6-24 first generation (the blue ring one) which wouldn't hold focus shot to shot, I sent that baby in and had a brand new 2nd gen replacement in a week and a half. I purchased another one (used) with the same problem, again total replacement in a week and a half. IOR knew that these 1st gen scopes had this problem and just replaced them right away. Recently a 6-24 that has been on top of my main 308 for thousands and thousands of rounds took a dump on me and was shifting impact, I sent the scope to Val he shipped it to Romainia, called me on friday and said they were sending me a brand new one, total time from when I shipped it to CO. and hearing from Val was four weeks, thats still pretty fast in my opinion. My point is Im one guy, but I have had three good customer service experiences with this company over an eight year period. People might not like this but I have layed down and gone back and forth between US Optics, IOR and Nightforce and the glass was better in the IOR. If your thinking I just drink the IOR cool aid dont because I have a Premire 5-25 on order right now, and from what I hear, from people whose opinions I value very highly the premire has even better glass than the IOR, which Im going to have to see to believe.

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Swamper said:
I'm getting a little tired of your high-browed rants,
</div></div>

My brother was a factory rep for an easy chair manufacturer that was in head to head competition with another manufacturer at an important store in his territory.

Some woman who bought a one of my brother's chairs came back and made a scene about how unsatisfied she was on a regular basis. She was offered all her money back plus a new chair, but she just wanted to complain. My brother lost that account and could never get it back.

"I guess one person really can make a difference. But most of the time they probably shouldn't." -- Marge Simpson

I've heard all kinds of things about IOR, but have generally been impressed with them overall, seeing them as a good value (ie worth the money). I've had a 2nd gen 6-24x riding a Windrunner for the better part of a year and have been almost surprised it's held up so well. We all know there are different tiers of quality and performance and towards the middle you tend to find very good values where you're not breaking the bank but you're also getting the most out of the optic - I think IOR fits pretty well in that position.

I had an IOR 3x25 scope once - nice clear optics but really crappy way to zero the turret.

Ended up with the screws losing the threads and couldn't get them to bite.

Possibly my fault but there seemed little margin for error when lossening the screws.

Retruned it for a warrnty repair and ended up getting my money back.

Ended up with an ACOG.......much happier