• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion on new Remington 700 VLS

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I have a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 223 from the 80s that is original (not free floated). I love that rifle. The fit and finish is awesome. It has gorgeous deep bluing, has a nice 2.5lbs trigger, is absolutely reliability and shoots half MOA with quick hand loads.

I like that rifle so much that I’m contemplating buying a new 700 VLS. I’m fine with the slow twist rate as I have other 223s for shooting heavy bullets for longer range.

What are your thoughts on the VLS (fit and finish, bluing, accuracy, trigger). How does it compare to the much cheaper SPS? Is it mostly the stock that is more expensive?

Any feedback is appreciated.

It is a step up from the SPS, but more in a hunting type of way. I had one in 6mm Remington many years ago. Burned the barrel out of it. Accurate and good looking gun.

They are finished like the CDL/BDL. They are blued and have jeweled bolts. The jeweling makes them smooth. The laminate stock is a boyds, at least I think, which is leaps and bounds better than the plastic you get on the SPS. The bluing is better than the thin "paint" found on the SPS's. It depends on what you want. I like the VLS's, a quick bedding job and new trigger would make them a nice rifle.

I think its a worth while step up from the SPS. YMMV

I owned one bought new in 1992; handed it down to my SIL in 2016. It was a 223 tack driver, dispatching literally hundreds of woodchucks in Upstate NY from 1998 on. 52SMK/53V-Max 25.4gr W748.

About 1995, I also used it for 200/300yd Target comp.

Get yours rebarreled with something quality, 24"-26" long, 1:9" twist, Remington Varmint Contour. The rifle will not let you down. IMHO, neither heavier than 75gr, nor faster than 1:9" would be necessary out to 600yd.

Used several scopes, ended up wearing a Mueller 8-32x44 Side Focus Target Dot.

The rifling at the muzzle was starting to look a little worn, but it was still doing its thing quite OK when I handed it down.

You will note that the VLS stock has a contact pad milled into the barrel channel. Don't mess with it.

Its replacement is a Savage 11VT 223 24". With the 1:9" twist, it shoots HDY 75gr HPBT-Match over 23.5-23.7gr Varget.

I think the Savage 110 223 Varmint would be a good choice, too.

The 700 VLS 223 is still available.

Greg

Last edited:
I just ordered a Remington 700 VLS in 223. I hope it will be almost as nice as my 223 Varmint Special. If not, I can always have the gun rebarreled and even change the trigger.

Quick update on the VLS.

It’s a nice rifle. Feeding and extraction are flawless. I’ve been loading some 53 SKM with H335 and I’m getting around 0.6-0.7” groups at 100Y. So the accuracy is just ok. I haven’t shot it much but might get better accuracy if I do a little more load development.

The bluing is mat and the stock is thicker than the VS (VS is better for offhand shooting). I can’t get the trigger any lighter than 4.5lbs.

Overall, the older Varmint Special is a nicer gun.

Remington has stopped the production of the 700 model, so even this new VLS is now a collectable. So I will keep it in it’s factory configuration.

Any updates on your vls Kevin1? Iv recently purchased an rr receiver Remington 700 vls in .223, but wasn’t happy with the stock fit with the mark 5hd I put on it so I put it in a McMillan a3-5. Going to start reloading for mine soon.