• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinion on PST genII and NF SHV

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    I am considering one of these scopes for a build I am doing and would like some opinions of those that own or have used the above optics. They are both in the same price range and I am curious as to what people think. I am looking for a SFP MOA (gasp) scope because this is what I prefer, I have done the FFP thing and it's not for me. I currently run a NF ATACR SFP MOAR-T and it is absolutely amazing, just looking to save a little scratch if possible. However I don't want to do so and regret not buying another ATACR down the road. I have a Gen I PST 6-24x50 on my .223 and it is pretty meh as far as glass goes especially above 12x, the turrets don't feel that positive and have a certain cheapness to them, but it has always tracked fairly true. My main concern here is tracking and glass comes in second. How is are the GenII PST and SHV in this regard? Would I be better of just to pony up another grand and get another ATACR? I believe in buy once, cry once and already about have my mind made up on what I'm going to do, just want some opinions from people with experience with these scopes.

If you're used to an ATACR and you don't want a performance hit, then I doubt that either a PST2 (which I owned) or SHV (which I have not seen) are going to be very exciting for you.

Reactions: BigTex
    I personally don’t have a SHV but have personally shit canned numerous pst gen I and genII. I wouldn’t give ya thirty cents for a pst nothin. Just my opinion.

Reactions: BigTex
    I have never owned a PST and have an SHV on the way but have never used one. But I can tell you why I’m at least trying an SHV. I called Nightforce and asked them several questions about their SHV line. They told me there are Japan sourced components but they are assembled right there in Idaho. They told me their tracking and zero retention standards are exactly the same for the SHV, the NXS, and the ATACR and that there is no allowable error for any of them. They also told me that every single SHV is tested to the same standard as the NXS and the ATACR before they are shipped for sale. No batch testing. Every single scope is tested. Oh, I almost forgot. They told me the SHV glass is the same glass used in the NXS line. I’ve never seen anyone say the NXS doesn’t have good glass.

So, given the above, I figure my odds of having a scope fail are less with a Nightforce than most others, even if I’m only using an SHV.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

John

Reactions: B-P-UU and BigTex
    I have never owned a PST and have an SHV on the way but have never used one. But I can tell you why I’m at least trying an SHV. I called Nightforce and asked them several questions about their SHV line. They told me there are Japan sourced components but they are assembled right there in Idaho. They told me their tracking and zero retention standards are exactly the same for the SHV, the NXS, and the ATACR and that there is no allowable error for any of them. They also told me that every single SHV is tested to the same standard as the NXS and the ATACR before they are shipped for sale. No batch testing. Every single scope is tested. Oh, I almost forgot. They told me the SHV glass is the same glass used in the NXS line. I’ve never seen anyone say the NXS doesn’t have good glass.

So, given the above, I figure my odds of having a scope fail are less with a Nightforce than most others, even if I’m only using an SHV.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

John
    Good to know, these are some questions that I had. Thanks for the info!

I can tell you that I personally owned a NF 4-14 SHV F1, and it was an EXCELLENT scope for the price point, and possibly above it. I ONLY sold it to find a 1-8 ATACR. The SHV has great glass that punches above its weight class. I have seen the SHV 4-14 F1 compared to the now discontinued NXS 3-15 F1. I did not do a y’all target test, but I did perform a box test, which the scope passed perfectly. I would absolutely 100% say that the SHV is an excellent scope for the money. It may well be the first scope I regret selling. Likely I will at some point own another. I had a Vortex PST gen 1, and it was .....meh. I understand the gen II are not even the same scope, so in all fairness, I’m not sure that is even a fair comparison. From what I HAVE SEEN, NF SHV all day.

Of the two options mentioned, SHV.
    I own the 4-14x50F1 on a AR platform and it has served me well. Very nice glass and decent turret feel for the money.