• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions / Feedback on new Mk IV 2.5 - 8 x 36 ?

WARDOG

Mountain Man
Minuteman
May 27, 2009
Elk City, Idaho
I am interested in users, or past users of the new Leupold Mk IV 2.5 - 8 x36mm scope with, or without, illumination.
I am interested in purchasing the 2.5 - 8x36 scope for one of my AR-10 (T) Carbines in .308.
That rifle is used quite a bit in the woods, on my quad in Marijuana grow country with the Mex cartels, Bear poachers, etc.
I stumble into marijuana grows quite often in remote areas of the Sierra Nevada Mountain's where I live half of the year. So it is a defensive weapon mostly.
I have been using a 2x Aimpoint with flip to side 3x mag set-up for about 5 years.
I had to mount the 2x Aimpoint further up the top rail so the magnifier could fit behind it. That created a small tunnel to see through the Aimpoint.
Two things I do not like about the current setup (which was quite expensive with all of the mounts involved), The 24mm obj is small, and the entire setup added too much weight. That is why I am looking for a larger objective, larger than the 24mm patrol objectives.
Since it is a .308 and quite capable of 600 yard accuracy even with the 16" 'T' barrel, I am limited to either 2 power or 6 power.
I already have the standard version of the 2.5 -8 X36 on one of my lightweight bolt mountain hunting rigs (Rem Model Seven .300 SAUM). I like the compactness of it, light weight, and low magnification ability with everything in between. I also like that it has 1/4 moa adjustments instead of the 1/2 or 1 moa adjustments on the Mk IV's.
This is why I am considering the new Mk IV with a lit reticle and BDC for 168 gr. 308.

What do you have your scope mounted on?
What is it used for?
Do you find that the coarse adjustments are detrimental?
If you sold it, what was the reason you parted with it?
What was your opinion on the Mark IV version, lit reticle etc?
What adjustment knobs do you have and how do your like them?

I can't find user reviews on this newest version of the scope. Any help would be appreciated.
My budget is around $1100. I would be interested in other suggestions with at least 6 power in that same price range.
I know USO and NF make fine scopes, but they tend to be heavy and far beyond my budget.

Thanks-
WARDOG