• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions for new glass for new 22 250...

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
So I'm looking at the following:

Leup VX5 HD 3-18x44 Firedot

NF SHV 5-20x56

Vortex Razor 5-20x50

Owners/Sellers please enlighten on my best choice, main use would be vamint hunting in PA from 2-500yds Caliber 22-250 I've looked at the PST2 Vortex but liked the NF and Leup better I'm not sure how much better the Razor is I'm guessing it is. Also is the SHV as close to the NSX as I hear in regards to clarity. Budget is under 1500 also weight isn't a concern

i have .243 shooting 115 berger at 3140FPS.
NF ATACR 4-16x50 Mil-R reticle shoot coyote 680yards with no problem.
I think you can't go wrong with NF

Attachments

• EC197E55-ED0B-454A-99B9-73A237FB7939.jpeg
    EC197E55-ED0B-454A-99B9-73A237FB7939.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Friday
I use a razor 5-20 on my 6.5 cm hunting. Works fine. Turrets are a touch tall so jumping out of the pickup you have to be away of that.
I also use Zeiss victory line scopes. Those are SFP and are in MOA so are a PIMA but they work and work well.

Are you looking for a FFP scope (Razor) or SFP scope (VX-5HD and SHV)?

If you like to hold for elevation and wind with the reticle, FFP is the better way to go, so a Razor is a better choice. It is big and heavy though, so keep that in mind.

Aside from the reticle location, optomechanically, Razor is proabbly the better scope of these three.

Generally, if you are looking at the Razor, you should also be looking at Athlon Cronus and Delta Stryker HD. That is more of a apples-to-apples comparison.

ILya

If you are looking at the Nightforce SHV line, I am very pleased with my 4-14x50 illuminated MILR first focal plane. Only really hunt varmints anymore and it works well. If I feel like stretching for distance it allows me to dial or hold. Used it on a 25-06 and it currently sits on a 6.5CM AR. I have an ATACR 5-25 F1 and of course it’s a better scope but it also cost a lot more and weighs more. If you can stretch on an ATACR, I recommend it. If your budget won’t allow it, the SHV F1 is no slouch?

I realize the Razor is ahead of the others, but I can manage a better cost than standard on it that takes it closer to the others.
I'm not to concerned on the FFP/SFP I can dial or I can hold, I know its best to pick one but I can do either. Also I'm not climbing mountains or anything just small inclines on fields waiting to smash Mr Ground E Hog OR Phil Fox or Clyde Cye O Tee

I mean if you are not dead set on FFP/SFP, either of those scopes will work. Heck, even a 3-15 weaver tactical will get the job done. I had one and regret selling it. Took out to 450 and tracked true without a problem. I know the weaver is way below your budget but all I'm saying is, for your intended uses, any of those will work.

I would recommend choosing a different reticle if you decide to go with the Leupold. I have a VX-R Patrol 1.25x4x24, and I have the SPR Firedot reticle, and lemme tell ya those crosshairs are really thick. I mean they are no bueno for me. My MARK 4’s don’t have that issue. They both have a non illuminated TMR. Just some information to consider.

I really noticed this when I was getting ready to take a shot at a yote that was about 550 yards away and I just couldn’t get the crosshairs settled. They cover up a whole lot of target, and don’t really work well for precision engagements. The scope does work very well for my use of it now, but I did have to transfer it to another rig of mine because it just wasn’t thin enough.

Hope this helps!??

Dale, I was thinking that as well. I have 2 other firedots but usually they are for closer in work so its not as much of an issue, of those given it's probably the lowest of choices mainly between the NF and Vor at this point.

Stello I could probably get the job done with an old stand by scratched up vx2 4-12 i have sitting in a box but would like something a lil newer/better.

Thanks to all so far

Dale, I was thinking that as well. I have 2 other firedots but usually they are for closer in work so its not as much of an issue, of those given it's probably the lowest of choices mainly between the NF and Vor at this point.

Stello I could probably get the job done with an old stand by scratched up vx2 4-12 i have sitting in a box but would like something a lil newer/better.

Thanks to all so far

Yeah, for the purpose that scope was meant for I should have just got a NF, Vortex or even a Steiner MX series, the scope is awesome but for my intended use it isn’t sufficient. However I’m still rocking it on my 3 gun rifle for now. It gets the job done, but I definitely wanna replace it with something significantly thinner.

BE03D4F0-D28F-4461-8FA9-6DBD72E4C90F.jpeg

Reactions: Friday