• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions...good deal, worth it?

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I saw a sale ad for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-M for $459.99. I know this isn't the latest model but any opinions on whether this is worth getting considering the price or hold off to get the newer model? This would be for a dual duty, fun to shoot target / hunting rifle.

Also saw the
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 EBR-2D MRAD (FFP) PST-3157 for $569.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
This conversation is similar to the guy who wants to buy some physical gold (to hold in his hand). He hesitates because he will have to pay a premium above the spot price....
What do you need?
What do you want?
What can you afford?

Therein lies your answer.

Last edited:
That gen1 is about 400 bucks too expensive.
I've got that exact 4-16x50 scope sitting on my 6.5 Grendel AR-15 as my whitetail/hog bopper. Bought it new about 10 years ago and it's always held zero, tracks perfectly and has reliably taken that Grendel out to 800 several times. Illumination functions well for dawn and dusk shots and the thing weighs around 22 oz., so I like it for the role it plays.

Last edited:
Anything comparable to the pst2 but lighter and similar price range?

I've got that exact 4-16x56 scope sitting on my 6.5 Grendel AR-15 as my whitetail/hog bopper. Bought it new about 10 years ago and it's always held zero, tracks perfectly and has reliably taken that Grendel out to 800 several times. Illumination functions well for dawn and dusk shots and the thing weighs around 22 oz., so I like it for the role it plays.
Still a turd

especially when the good one is 110 bucks more.

The PST 4-16 was a great daytime scope but in low light it really struggled and had a heavy blue cast to the image. The PST II series has cleaned that up. I would definitely recommend the PST II 3-15 or 5-25, both great scopes for the price.