• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions needed, Buying for a friend: Venom or XTR II

Doug Dimmadome

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2022
Michigan
My father's friend is looking to buy an optic for his rem 700 in .22-250. He is about 70 yo and originally purchased an ATN infrared scope and asked me to figure it out, zero it and report back. It was way to complicated for him and just flat out terrible (in my opinion). He now wants to get rid of the ATN scope and put on whatever I recommend. He didnt really give me a clear answer on what he wanted the rifle for but I believe he wants something for prairie dogs (I'm pretty versed), coyote and other varmints. I don't think weight is an issue and he doesn't know the difference between a $30 Simmons and a $2000 NightForce. I'm thinking something in the $500-$600 dollar range would be fine, looking at something like a Vortex Venom 5-25x54 or a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 with an illuminated reticle. Opinions?

Definitely the XTRII. It's been around a while, it's absolutely proven. And despite past criticism over glass, it's nicer glass than the Strike Eagle or Venom. MUCH nicer turrets and far simpler zero stop as well.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have the 3-15 XTR2 and it's a great scope. The glass quality some days seems very good and other days I really find it lacking; one thing is for sure, it's not as good as the glass in their old Black Diamond line that they discontinued a few years back.

For the money I don't think you'll find a more solid scope with such great features. If you can get past the fact that it's heavy, and that the glass isn't top notch (although it's plenty good enough) then you will be very happy with it.

Being 70 and not knowing his history on what he is used to using first off I would find out if he over his decades of shooting has mainly used MOA or not.
Many older guys spent their lives with the MOA scales and at his age trying to get him used to something different as in mils may not ne the best move for him.

Another thing is at 70 how is his eyesight, again as old age hits the more pronounced stable sized reticle in a SFP optic may again be better for HIM.

Not to mention again what he has used and is used to for decades again may well be SFP as the FFP stuff has really only gained in popularity in more recent history.

Just a couple of points to ponder.

Reactions: LR1845
Of those two, the Burris XTR2, but for a hunting scope for a guy around 70, get the Veracity. It has a much better reticle for hunting, and still dials wonderfully if you want to use that.

Reactions: fdkay
Thanks everyone. As far as his experience with optics, when I mentioned a reticle to him he replied with "what's that?". He probably doesn't know what the term MOA or MIL is. He owns an excavating company and I've never seen him be gentle with anything which is why I want something with a good warranty. My reasoning for the XTR was for the illuminated reticle if he decides to shoot some yotes in the late evening. I didnt know if the 54mm AO/34mm tube of the venom would be better for low light. What rings should I stick with (from eurooptic )?

Thanks everyone. As far as his experience with optics, when I mentioned a reticle to him he replied with "what's that?". He probably doesn't know what the term MOA or MIL is. He owns an excavating company and I've never seen him be gentle with anything which is why I want something with a good warranty. My reasoning for the XTR was for the illuminated reticle if he decides to shoot some yotes in the late evening. I didnt know if the 54mm AO/34mm tube of the venom would be better for low light. What rings should I stick with (from eurooptic )?
A set of bulletproof rings would be the ARC M-Brace 34mm Low rings. It's what I run on mine. They're great rings, and easy to setup. Both screws (cap & base) torque to 55 inch-pounds, so it's simple to keep up with.

Here's what that combo looks like...

IMG_8884.jpeg
IMG_8885.jpeg

Last edited:
My father's friend is looking to buy an optic for his rem 700 in .22-250. He is about 70 yo and originally purchased an ATN infrared scope and asked me to figure it out, zero it and report back. It was way to complicated for him and just flat out terrible (in my opinion). He now wants to get rid of the ATN scope and put on whatever I recommend. He didnt really give me a clear answer on what he wanted the rifle for but I believe he wants something for prairie dogs (I'm pretty versed), coyote and other varmints. I don't think weight is an issue and he doesn't know the difference between a $30 Simmons and a $2000 NightForce. I'm thinking something in the $500-$600 dollar range would be fine, looking at something like a Vortex Venom 5-25x54 or a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 with an illuminated reticle. Opinions?
If your father's friend prefers a SFP scope Athlon Midas BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 in either MOA or MIL with illuminated 15x reticle scopecurrently on sale for $479.99 at EuroOptic and Scopelist or if FFP is preferred the Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 with illuminated MIL reticle for $565.49 from Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 90 days and even return it to your own local Walmart within 90 days if you or your father's friend doesn't like it. Wheh buying from EuroOptic and Scopelist don't mount the scope if you plan to return it if you don't like it unlike Walmart doesn't matter if you used it you can still get a refund within 90 days.

Or just use Burris Signature XTR rings that leaves zero evidence the scope was ever mounted.