• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions of Ruger 77 action?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
Guys, I am looking at building a lightweight tack driver, and have been looking for the best options available. I plan at this point to use a Rock 5R/ABS carbon wrap barrel, a McMillan stock, and possibly a Ruger 77 action. Reasoning for the Ruger? I like the CRF, and the Mauser type extractor. They seem to have a decent integral scope mounting system, as well. My objective is to build a very accurate rifle with a heavy profile barrel, as reliable under field conditions as possible, and keep the weight under 10 lbs. all up. I am curious about opinions and experiences with the M77 action for such purposes.

Re: Opinions of Ruger 77 action?

No problem here with the 77. They are now chambering it in 6.5 Creedmore. I guess all the expert smiths who you read about here can get you fixed up. Look at Longshotriflesllc.com Chris built my 7mmWSM. he is very good.

I have a stainless 77 varmit gun in .243. It has a smooth bolt operation and a great trigger pull right out of the box. The only issue I would be concerned with is the scope mounting. I really only use mine for 100-600yd shooting so it has not been an issue. I do not know if anyone makes canted rings for these.

love ruger's durability and dependability, although i believe they lack in the accuracy department when compared to savage or remington.

i like the the fact they they are overbuilt and have that classic look and feel to them.

Years ago US Optics was doing a run building custom bases. Everyone was sending John stuff to build a base for their rifle, me included.
They may still be doing new proto type bases, I don't know.

Anyways I sent them my Ruger M77 Mark II and had some bases built that were 20 moa cant with picatiny rail on top so you could install badger or such high quality scope rings. Only draw back is the reciever needs to be drilled and tapped for the base. I can take some pictures of the rig if someone is interested. I'm sure US Optics could build more bases next time they tool up for base building. Pm me if you need visual references.

own one for hunting but wouldnt be my first choice for precision mainly due to how it beds with angled action screw. love the look and feel of my compact though.

I knew a guy who used a couple Ruger actions without a issue, I know on one he built a 243 that shot very well, myself I would prefer a 700 action..but if all I had was a Ruger I wouldnt hesitate.

If you have not bought the action yet DON'T. Pick up an FN SPR receiver with trigger, scopebase and BM for $350 from CDNN. It has all the features you mentioned yet still has sufficient aftermarket support.

One rule of thumb to consider when you want a long range rifle is what the winners use and I only know of one guy that used a Ruger who is very good. He had to make a block that converted it to vertical front action screw and more work.
The nicest action work done to rework a factory rifle is done by http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/true.htm
This is the "right way" to work a action and have a solid foundation for future success.

By the way he will not touch a Ruger action.

Unless something has drastically changed in the industry the mass production rifle is not done this way and only the Palma specific actions are set up like this and they are like 1200.00.

The name of the accurate rifle game is to have the center line of the action in perfect alignment with the center line of the bore and threads, bolt face, action face etc at perfect right angle.

He also does Model 70s and a few others.

It pays to start with a good well designed action of proven performance and then go from there.

Sounds like the Ruger is out, due to the bedding issues. Will check out the SPR actions at CDNN, thanks. I have had an SPR, one of the early ones, and it shot like a laser, so I'll probably use that action. Thanks for the help, guys.

SMART MOVE. No need to break out the Turd Polish unless you already own the turd!!

Check out the CDI bottom metal for the FN. Also, CDNN might even have a stock for you.

+1 on the FN action build. I bed rifles and I don't want to do Rugers. Easier to just say no
smile.gif

actually I got a 260 Ruger to shoot pretty well but had to trash the plastic stock, set it in walnut stock with pillar bedding, lapped bolt so both lugs contacted and changed out the trigger. I sold it and I have a new one with laminated stock I have not started working on yet.