• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on a new AR-15 barrel

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I am going to buy a 18" spr type barrel and build a new upper. This will be used for a multitude of things from battle rifle comps, medium range steel shooting, prarie dogs, to whatever else. I will be shooting 75gr Hornady HPBT via magazine length. I just need some opinions on the different barrel brands that can be bought off the shelf and not special ordered. I am looking at the following:

Ranier arms match
Noveske stainless
WOA stainless
or whatever else you guys suggest

Thanks in advance

Re: Opinions on a new AR-15 barrel

I ordered a WOA SSDM barrel in 1/7 twist. I did some searching and found WOA to be one of the best in terms of quality and so forth. Just some info for you.

I have a noveske that shoot lights out and a couple daniel Defense which shoot better than what I paid for them.
hope this helps.

I ordered a Douglas 18" 1:7 twist stainless from CLE and fired 20 rounds of 68gr BTHP that I loaded for another rifle with a 1:8 twist and shot .52 MOA at 100 meters. That was the first 20 rounds ever put through the barrel cold. I cant wait to go back and see what it can do now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my Rainier Ultramatch! Steven </div></div>

Me too. The hornady 75bthp is the only heave 223 bullet I use and it shoots great with it.

When I was doing load development with that bullet, new lc brass and varget every group was MOA or better. The one I settled on was 5 shots @ 100 that could be covered with a bottlecap.

BTW I had an 18" white oak spr barrel and it was good but it did not shoot as tight as my ultra match.

I have a Wilson Combat 18" fluted SS 1:8 5.56 in my SPR build. It's a super accurate barrel and light too. I shoot mostly the 69 and 77 weight bullets but it shoots the 55 cheap stuff just fine too. My 14yo son hit a 8" steel plate at 500 yards 26 out of a 30 round mag two weeks ago. I have a JP comp on the end which really helps. Best barrel for the buck at $299 IMHO.

My Noveske 18" SPR barrel regularly shoots 0.5moa with 77gr Nosler, 23.6gr Tac, CCI M41. I haven't had to do any load developement, just copied that load and it shoots lights out. Also extremely reliable.

Could also consider BCM's 18" SS, they are currently in stock. Could also get one of the actual Mk12 SPR barrels from Centurion arms or High Caliber Sales (both are Douglas SS blanks).

Oherwise the WOA, Rainier Ultramatch, and Noveske should be great options also.

Any of these should be sub-MOA barrels, with WOA being the cheapest option, with no clear compromise in accuracy.