• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Atlas bipod?

Luky

19D20E9
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
San Diego, Kalifornia
I have a Harris 6-9" tilt bipod and it is decent, maybe not as stiff as I would like. So I am thinking about getting an Atlas 8.1 bipod. I thought it would be pretty solid, but a review I just watched on utube showed it to be wobbly/flex front to rear. Who has one and what do you think? Also anyplace have them on sale or know a coupon code for like 10% off?
laugh.gif

I will be putting it on a .308 Savage 10BA-LE chassis so will also need to add a short rail. Where can I get this?

Re: Opinions on Atlas bipod?

My Atlas is in the mail, but are you saying that you want a bipod that doesn't have any movement front to rear? I don't know if you'll be able to find that. None of it really matters when you load up the bipod unless it's making a lot of noise IMO.

I don't know anything about that chassis, but mile high seems to be the one stop shop around here. They have been for me.

The fore/aft movement (flex) is an advantage in my book. Along with the softer rubber compound used on the feet, it allows you to load the bipod on a smooth surface such as decking, smooth concrete, etc... It is not because of poor build quality or shotty materials, it's designed into the system so to speak. I like mine alot.

I have Atlas on three of my rifles. The small movement fore and aft goes away as soon as you load the bipod so in practice it is a non-issue. Compared to the Harris that I ran previously the Atlas are far more solid once properly loaded - at least in my opinion and experience and for how I shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheeseburger guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are never discounted that I have ever seen </div></div>

That is kind of like the optics... But I know joeboboutfitters.com had a 10% off coupon for Vortex scopes for vets day, so deals do come up. Just have to watch for them. (My PST 6-24 should be delivered today after I found a 9% off coupon code for a website and ordered.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CEGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Atlas on three of my rifles. The small movement fore and aft goes away as soon as you load the bipod so in practice it is a non-issue. Compared to the Harris that I ran previously the Atlas are far more solid once properly loaded - at least in my opinion and experience and for how I shoot. </div></div>

It looks like a good piece of kit. It was just the video I saw showed what appeared to be like 6" of back and forth slop. I understand that there will always be some flex due to the nature of the bipod and having tall legs, bit it looked to be as bad as the Harris which is what I want to improve... also my Harris uses the sling stud and I want a better connection that doesn't loosen up over time.

Speaking of which... where can I buy a 2" or 3" piece of picatinny rail that is flat on the back? I have a piece at home from my Fulton Armory upper float tube but it is concave on the back.

For those who run Atlas bipods in competitions what do you do to make them easier to use? I just took a precision rifle class and my Atlas was distracting to say the least. They took longer to fold and were always pointing in an odd direction if they bumped on something. There must be some way to lock the legs and be able to deploy them quickly when needed.

they are pita to deploy and undeploy.

the little flex makes it 'feel' flimsy, but actually makes it easier to load.

For competitions where you are moving a lot they can be a hassle. That being the case as with anything practice and some forethought can make it more then bearable.

The knob on the bottom adjusts cant tension, and may help them from flopping.

That bottom tension knob will adjust tension on both panning and for/aft loading, though I don't think it can be adjusted so lose as to "flop" around... Even at its tightest, it is still lose to the point that it needs to be loaded.

They are slow to deploy and retract, and leg length adjustment is slow also, but in it's weakest areas it's not far below par.

I turned the knobs as tight as I could get them but they still wind up pointing to the side when folded if they are bumped on something. When you are on the clock you don't have time for all of that. Anyway, just wanted to know if there is something that can be done to fix this problem. Will go back to the Harris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who run Atlas bipods in competitions what do you do to make them easier to use? I just took a precision rifle class and my Atlas was distracting to say the least. They took longer to fold and were always pointing in an odd direction if they bumped on something. There must be some way to lock the legs and be able to deploy them quickly when needed. </div></div>

That is why you don't really see to many people running them in competition. I tried the Atlas in competition, but it is just to slow for me. I love it for hunting and just shooting on the range. You might pm LoneWolf, I think he runs the Atlas in competition.

Thanks for posting that TRAAV. That's what I experienced. May have to put the Atlas on something else.

I have binned them all in favor of a Long Range Accuracy bipod and have not looked back.

http://lraccuracy.com/

Having tried them all this is the best bipod on the market <span style="font-weight: bold">by far</span> in my opinion.

I know it's more expensive but "buy once, cry once." And you only need one and can quickly cross-deck it.

It has NONE of that elastic-mushy factor that people seem to decry when the legs of their bipod are bent backwards and screaming for mercy. LOL

For something like a DMR is too much bipod. I still prefer a lighter bipod on that platform but for a serious long range precision rig I have not found an equal.

It also says something that LRA has put pert near a dozen of them on prize tables in 2012.

--Fargo007

Freddy I pay alot for gear but the day I pay $450 for a bipod you should be calling the guys with the white suits and nets to put me away LOL I will stick with my tried and true Harris BRM-S and Pod Loc.

Haven't seen you out in a while. Where ya been?

If you are happy with the harris or the atlas, I'm saying by all means stick with it. Many here are saying they are not and that's why I pointed this one out.

I look at it across the whole cost spectrum of the platform. e.g.

If you've gone first class on the optics or the stick, why stop so abruptly at the bipod?

Schmidt Bender PMII 3-20x50 L/P P4 Fine MRAD SRP032050-BP4FLCL1 - $3500.00

GAP USMC M40A5 $4,200.00

Harris bipod/pod loc: $125 vs. LRA $450

It's $7825 vs. $8150. $325 difference, or 3.9% of the platform cost.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you've gone first class on the optics or the stick, why stop so abruptly at the bipod?

</div></div>

I buy things that give me an upgrade or advantage in their use. If i don't need to spend money I won't. I am cheap that way
wink.gif
I have never seen any great upgrade or advantage to any of the other bipods on the market over the Harris. Yes the legs bend in different ways and take great pictures for the internet but in my use in sniper matches I have never needed any of it. Fast deployment, the right height and a swivel to level the rifle and it's done.

Been around. Just haven't been able to make it down your way in a while. I definitely need to though.

11tsw01.jpg

Yes, the Atlas has some "play" but it's supposed to be there and can be virtually mitigated with the tension knob. If you want your rifle to feel like it's mounted to a tree stump, keep moving and for the love of all things holy, use the search function!

2 clicks, a couple keystrokes and voila! As much Atlas as you can stomach and all from Sniper's Hide.
Atlas search results, SH google search

Cool. Next time you get down our way I will put you behind mine. You can see what it feels like and I will show you some of what I think the significant differences are. I'm not going to try and explain them all in writing.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I buy things that give me an upgrade or advantage in their use. <span style="font-weight: bold">If i don't need to spend money I won't. I am cheap that way
wink.gif
</span> I have never seen any great upgrade or advantage to any of the other bipods on the market over the Harris. Yes the legs bend in different ways and take great pictures for the internet but in my use in sniper matches I have never needed any of it. Fast deployment, the right height and a swivel to level the rifle and it's done.

Been around. Just haven't been able to make it down your way in a while. I definitely need to though. </div></div>

I think that's called financially responsible, not cheap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I turned the knobs as tight as I could get them but they still wind up pointing to the side when folded if they are bumped on something. When you are on the clock you don't have time for all of that. Anyway, just wanted to know if there is something that can be done to fix this problem. Will go back to the Harris. </div></div>

same here

I really like my Atlas bipod. So does my wife. It can be a pain in the butt to quickly maneuver the legs under time. But, since you can angle the legs individually, it is much easier to get your rifle to the right sight height.

That being said, I bought the Atlas because I received a nice military discount that made the purchase worthwhile. Perhaps you might want to consider the Harris picatinny rail mount version with a KMW lever from LaRue Tactical.

I would love to try an Atlas one day. I really do love my
Harris bipods though. I did however once make the mistake of
buying a Champion. But, only because the guy that owned the
shop said they were just as good for half the money.
It played hell bein just as good as the Harris.
Thats the last time I visited that shop.

I would try out a Bobro, I've used atlas for a while now, and just got my hands on a Bobro I really like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grgkng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try out a Bobro, I've used atlas for a while now, and just got my hands on a Bobro I really like it. </div></div>

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/1/photos/

Looks like it has a cant feature, but does it have adjustable tension on the cant? I had a Versa-pod years ago that used a spogot type mount and hated it because it was so floppy. Also how do the legs extend? It looks like there is a screw tension knob to extend them? Does not seem like it would be quick. How do you like them? Is the bottom knob for attaching to a rail?

I ordered an Atlas from Mile High Shooting yesterday and bought a 2" rail section from an Amazon vendor for my chassie. Also received my monopod rail and found my BT13QK monopod was too tall (with the Harris bipod) so I ordered a BT12QK. Received and mounted a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP scope last night too. Hopefully I will have everything together in time to go visit my Bro-in law in Palm Springs for Turkey day and we will do some long distance shooting in the desert Friday or Saturday.

I have 3 harris 6-9 and 1 atlas. There is a big difference in the feel of the bipods. The atlas are heavier duty. That being said, if you have a harris and it has never failed you and you are happy with it, keep it. Spend the money you saved on ammo. If you are having problems, get an atlas. I will say that I have noticed no improved shooting from me since I got my atlas. I shoot the exact same as I did with the harris. But I do like it.

Not ever owning a different bipod I have no other experience with anything other than my Atlas. I really like the simplicity of it and its easy to load forward, and once loaded it is VERY stable. It has improved my shooting +1 for Atlas

I bought an Atlas with the ADM QD mount, and I can easily and quickly swap it from my Remington 700 to my AR, all I have to do is turn the adjusting screw +/- 3/8 of a turn with my fingernail to get it to fit my AR rail or my 700 rail.

It was great for my budget, and it's a solid, well built piece of gear. It's easy to cant the rifle against the ball socket in the Atlas, but there's enough resistance that your gun won't flop around.

One thing about it, the prices are fairly similar, or at least more so than people notice, in the end, though I still run the Harris. BR-S with notched legs is about $100-110, pod lock for another $30 and you've got $140. Then another $80 for a throw lever mount for a pic rail, and you've for $220 in it before shipping. If you have to buy from three sources for thr parts, add $30 for $250 total VS $290 for similarly equipped Atlas.

I have shot in a few stages where the Atlas would have helped me, but still haven't made the plunge yet. For now I'll keep throwing my Harris back and forth on my rifles.

In my humble opinion with owning three different bipods ( atlas , Harris , versa ) the atlas looks and feels the best.. There are drawbacks to atlas vs the others. One is it is a bench rest bipod with a solid platform when loaded into your shoulder but it is slow to deploy in a real shooting environment.. Legs unfold slow and height is slow. When set up its great but just slow for me.

Harris is feels and looks a little cheap and you can spend lots of money adapting from rifle / AR type rifles that can sneak up on you. BUT on a real hunting environment i.e. coyote hunting like I do, the Harris is what I grab every time, easy to deploy on the run, unfold pull and go... That's what I like

Versa pod in my opinion is junk... Enough said... I'm sure they have fans but just not me.... I have had lots of problems holding it solid

Just what I think

What do you like about them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grgkng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try out a Bobro, I've used atlas for a while now, and just got my hands on a Bobro I really like it. </div></div>

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/1/photos/

Looks like it has a cant feature, but does it have adjustable tension on the cant? I had a Versa-pod years ago that used a spogot type mount and hated it because it was so floppy. Also how do the legs extend? It looks like there is a screw tension knob to extend them? Does not seem like it would be quick. How do you like them? Is the bottom knob for attaching to a rail? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grgkng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try out a Bobro, I've used atlas for a while now, and just got my hands on a Bobro I really like it.</div></div>

I haven't seen a Bobro bipod available in years.
This is why I went to Atlas and have never looked back.

So I got my Atlas last Wednesday and got a rail mounted on my rifle while at my Bother in-laws shop Thursday morning. My first impression was that it looked great and had a nice finish, machining and assembly. Then I got it mounted to my rifle and started playing with it. I can only say, what a disappointment. Maybe I got a defective one, but I expected much more after all the positive reviews about it. I would really appreciate it if people could have a look at theirs and let me know if this is typical or if I just have a dud?

Here are my issues with the Atlas bipod I received:

1) One of the leg pivot mounts has a lot of slop. This is due to the position of the locking/push pin not being directly in the "U" of the leg position "sprocket". It looks like the hole for the pivot screw (or the push pin) was drilled out of location by 0.010" or 0.020" so the locking pin is not close enough to the "sprocket" to lock solidly. This results in the leg having a lot of front/back slop before the pin hits the edges of the "U" slot in the sprocket. The other leg is not fantastic (does not lock in solid), but has a "reasonable" amount of "slop". If it was built correctly a tangent point of the pin diameter would meet up with the tangent of the center of the "U" of the sprocket. Or the pin should be tapered like a cone so that it self centered into the U to take the slop out when locked into place.

2) Both leg extensions are very sloppy. When the legs are totally collapsed, this is not noticeable. But if you extend the leg out and lock it into place, try wiggling the end with the rubber foot. Mine flops back and forth on the end of the inner leg piece. I thought this was supposed to be a precision machined assembly? The fit between the leg tube pieces is much worse than the $25 UTG bipod I put on my kids .22 savage. If the two pieces were properly machined and toleranced, they should be a nice slip fit and would be sturdy even when extended. This is how the legs on my Harris BRM-S are...

I have worked with precision machined injection molding tooling and fixtures for years. I find the fit of the Atlas legs to be worse than my cheap Chinese bipod. Maybe others are OK with this, but for the amount this bipod costs I expected a precision machined assembly that fit together smoothly and didn't flop around. In my original post that was a major concern. I am not talking about flex from loading it, but the amount of movement necessary just to get the slop out before you can start loading it. I tried shooting with it Friday and found that it could not be loaded evenly and would jump to the side after each shot since the legs were so different in the amount of built in slop. I want to like it and with the legs collapsed it is not too bad, but where I shoot the furthest targets are up a hill side about 8-10 degrees elevation. With the legs extended it is like it is on floppy stilts. Can someone please tell me I got the factory reject and just need to exchange it for a new one or should I not waste my time since they are all like this? Maybe it is time to check out the Bobro bipods? Also looking at the LaRue modified Harris BRM-S bipod that LCDR JGB suggested...

Atlas pods are "sloppy". Not just yours. I had a rifle strapped to my pack with the legs extended and she rattled pretty good with every step I took. I've actually grown to hate a lot of things about my Atlas, and will be selling it at some point.

Harris only for me.

From the perspective of a walk around hunter/coyote/varmint (I don't own a bench or shoot from one other than initial sight in. Nothing against it, just not my deal):

Way too bulky. Slim, light, quick deploy for me. To each their own.

I like my Atlas and wish there was a way to solve these issues. However, I could not run it in a competition.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, 9" bipods are not tall enough for real shooting in the field.

I love my 6-9" Harris for bench shooting, but when it comes killing time, the 9-13" goes on.

Until Atlas makes a longer unit, its a no go at my station.

They are not wobbly and are very steady once loaded. In my opinion, Atlas bipods are the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Infinity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are not wobbly and are very steady once loaded. In my opinion, Atlas bipods are the best. </div></div>

At this point I am going to have to disagree. I think the Atlas is pretty poor. Looks good with a nice finish and a great concept, but it is so poorly manufactured in the "fit" category that I don't even like shooting with it. The legs have way too much slop in them that only gets worse when you extend them. "Loading" it is just moving it until all the slop is pushed in one direction...

Hold your rifle vertical, and deploy the legs until they are parallel to the ground. Move the rubber foot up and down. This is slop. Extend the legs all the way and repeat. This is way too sloppy for me. Also one of my legs has more slop than the other so they do not load the same unless you rotate the legs a bit to compensate. My Harris does not do this and was half the cost.

If you like something that rattles around, more power to you...

Luky,

Thank you for considering the Atlas bipod but frankly I'm puzzled why you would post YOUR observation;

"I have a Harris 6-9" tilt bipod and it is decent, maybe not as stiff as I would like. So I am thinking about getting an Atlas 8.1 bipod. I thought it would be pretty solid, <span style="font-weight: bold">but a review I just watched on utube showed it to be wobbly/flex front to rear.</span> Who has one and what do you think? Also anyplace have them on sale or know a coupon code for like 10% off?"

Get pages of comments with several commenting on the same “issue”, you go ahead and buy an Atlas and then post about it's function as you originally observed and which you stated you were trying to avoid!!!

Here is my observation, you stated in part “<span style="text-decoration: underline">I can only say</span>, what a disappointment.” then you go on to post up three (3) paragraphs on that disappointment!! So it seems to me, there’s more at work here than I can help with.

Furthermore, I’m confused why you would post this back in November then send me a PM almost a month later, is it me or does that seem like a backwards way of doing business?

I’ll gladly have a look at your bipod to insure it’s within our tolerances, but I have to guess you will never be happy with the V8 Atlas, it has “slop” designed into it that was described and demonstrated to you prior to your purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive said it before and ill say it again, 9" bipods are not tall enough for real shooting in the field.

I love my 6-9" Harris for bench shooting, but when it comes killing time, the 9-13" goes on.

Until Atlas makes a longer unit, its a no go at my station.</div></div>

You know what they say about opinions...

Several schools of thought on this. One I'm familiar with says it's a bolt gun, it doesn't have a 30 round mag sticking out the bottom, you want as stable a platform as possible as low to the ground as possible. A 6-9 is more than adequate to this task.

I've used Harris bipods for years, got my first Atlas at the recommendation of a friend/fellow shooter and against that of a friend who owns a training facility (he teaches FBI, SWAT, regularly places first in regional shoots like ASC, and routinely outshoots Marine snipers at Quantico, so I take him to be somewhat of an expert - but hell, he can't know EVERYthing, right?) and am finding it's awkward to use compared to the harris. I shoot prone for long-range. The Harris loads up directly when you dig your belt buckle into the ground for leverage but I find myself pushing into the Atlas too much, it takes too much time to get the thing PLANTED, and I'm having to futz around with shoulder, feet, waist to get solidly in place and it's too TALL on the lowest setting so I have to extend and angle the legs which then makes for an even LESS stable platform. I tried the little rubber feet and they didn't dig in as well as Harris', I'm using the cupped metal feet with some success, and even bought the spikes to try, but it's not looking good at this point.

I'm kind of in agreement with Luky here. This is simply overengineered, too cute by half, neither tactical nor practical, but I've got a lot more money invested in ONE Atlas than TWO Harris bipods and it doesn't work half as well.

YMMV.

normbal are you saying the Atlas is too tall at its shortest setting?