• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Base > 0moa , 10moa , 20moa

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Would like some opinions, I have 2 ranges i use, 1st just goes to 100yds and is very close to me so I'm there often, the 2nd goes to 500yds.

The optic is a Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 total elevation 70moa, so it's 35moa up, what base would serve me best for the ranges I'm using, I'm thinking 10moa to keep closer to optical center for 100yrd use, but give me a little help getting to 500yds

Thanks for your advice.

The base will be Murphy Precision

You should only need ~10moa to get to 500yd from a 100yd zero, and you probably won’t be able to tell in a side by side comparison whether it’s a 10moa base or 20moa base attached to the scope you’re looking through. However, those extra 10moa from the base would buy you another 150yd of dialing right about where you’d run out of elevation with that scope anyway, ~1000yd depending on cartridge and ammo.

So, your choice, but I’d stick with the 20moa base in your position.

just to make sure im understanding, the Hornady app shows 308 168gr match will require to dial up 12moa for 500 yards, so out of the 35moa of scope up adjustment, im only using 12moa of that in this example.

Mostly correct. There’s a bit of futzing for the 100yd zero too, so you’re rarely at mechanical zero at zero without using something like the Burris Signature rings and inserts.

I’d still recommend the 20moa base because it does get you that extra bit of range if you ever want it, and won’t hurt your optical performance much at all in your normal 0-500yd range.

All would work although you do not need any can’t to shoot 500 yards. You don’t need any can’t to shoot 800 yards. If you already have a flat rail then just save your money and use it. If you have no scope base and will be purchasing one then just pick up the 20 and be done.

Reactions: beetroot
All would work although you do not need any can’t to shoot 500 yards. You don’t need any can’t to shoot 800 yards. If you already have a flat rail then just save your money and use it. If you have no scope base and will be purchasing one then just pick up the 20 and be done.
Agreed, either stick with 0, or go to 20.

Ten just isnt worth messing with.

20 MOA base. You want to use the center of your scope as much as possible and not the edges of adjustment.

20 will give you a lot of flexibility. 0, 20, 30 are the general standards. 30 for ELR.

With a 20MOA base, you can stick with 0MOA single piece mounts or rings.

+1 on skipping 10