• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes opinions on budget 1-4x optic

NordicG3K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Southern Oregon
I have a Remington 700 VTR in .223 that I plan to use as an "around the property" varmint gun. (This will primarily be coyotes and raccoons.) As shots will most likely be under 100 yards I'm thinking a scope in the 1-4x range would be optimal. I also want an illuminated reticle as light conditions may vary greatly. I'd like to get a Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accupoint, but the budget is only around $300 and I can't stretch that far right now. I've narrowed my search to three possibles. They are:

Falcon Menace 1.5-5x30SIR

Hawke 1.25-4.5x24 Endurance

Millett 1-4x24 DMS

Are there any other optics in this category and price range I'm missing? What are your opinions on these scopes? If none of these are up to snuff, should I just shove the rifle to the back of the gunsafe for a year and save up for the Trijicon?

Re: opinions on budget 1-4x optic

I guess the Millett would get my vote, knowing what little I know about the 3 you listed.

For a 223 bolt gun though, a little more magnification could be nice to have should to want to stretch it out a hair more.

Something with a low end, a little more high end and I think a better quality scope would be the Bushnell 3200 2-6x32 for $300.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-riflescope-322632.html

Save and get the Trijicon, or you could do one of the Leupold Mark AR scopes they are good and reasonably priced unless you need an illuminated ret.

Don't get the Millett, I've had one and wasn't overly impressed.

I'd agree that the best thing to do is save for the Trijicon.

NordicG3K,

I used a 1" 1.5-4.5x for many years and always felt limited at 4.5x!

I bought a 30mm 2.5-10 and at 2.5x there's plenty of field of view for very close shots but there's enough mag at 10x for long range too.

Steve

I have amongst others in the 1.25-4X range a Bushnell Elite 4200. It has an illuminated 4A reticle dot which is very bright and the glass is good. I have no problems recommending one. New they are in the $350 range.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Elite 4200</span> 1.25-4X </span>

In that power range, I have 3 scopes:

Accupoint: 1.25-4
Millet 1-4
USO 1-4

Obviously we know which is going to be the nicest scope. The Accupoint is not far behind. I had been wanting to try the Millet. I had seen them at the Shot show a couple years ago and liked the LRS better then the DMS. But had a chance awhile back to trade for a DMS and did. I am not overly impressed with it and will be trading it off. I have a Falcon scope in a high power then you listed and I am quite pleased with it. I might look into getting the lower power Falcon to try.

My vote is for a 3-9 scope, especially if you're shooting 'lil critters.Everyone makes 'em,look at Bushnell, Burris,even Leupold Mark.

I had the DMS-1 and for what you pay for it, Its not a bad choice. I did get rid of it and got the burris xtr 1-4x. The burris was so much clearer, I like the BD reticle. and when shooting on 1x it seemed to be closer to a true 1x optic. than the DMS-1. There seems to be more magnification on 1x from the Millett than the burris.

Yes the burris is about 600.00 but in my book it was well worth the extra money for the better optic.

Falcons seem to get pretty good reviews here on Sniper's Hide, but does anyone have any first-hand experience with the 1.5-5x30SIR? If the Falcon proves to be a really great scope for the money I'll probably go that route. If not, then I'll probably end up just shelving the gun for a while and save up for the Trijicon. I looked at the Burris and it appears to be a nice scope, but for the price I'm almost at the Trijicon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NordicG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falcons seem to get pretty good reviews here on Sniper's Hide, but does anyone have any first-hand experience with the 1.5-5x30SIR? If the Falcon proves to be a really great scope for the money I'll probably go that route. If not, then I'll probably end up just shelving the gun for a while and save up for the Trijicon. I looked at the Burris and it appears to be a nice scope, but for the price I'm almost at the Trijicon.
</div></div>

I too have wondered about the Falcon 1.5-5x30. I think you have to order this from a source in the UK if you want a new one. If it is anything like my 4-14x50, you will be happy.

I had a Millet DMS-1. Great scope for the money but was not forgiving where your head/eye is positioned. Plus the turrets sucked and were mushy.

Got an email from falconoptics today, they said sometime early 2010 for release of the new 1.5-5 scope (new reticle design,etc).

Just packed up and returned a couple sightmark 1.5-4 ffp md scopes. Had to try them for myself to see, figured it would result in returns. Glass was clear, with slight walleye effect on edges. They did very well in lowlight. Seemed rugged/heavy. They're "nato" mildots via ffp were not of good design, were too crowded by reticle intersection . They had at least 100moa adj range, with positive/audible clicks. On 1 power, things appeared further away!

I have a Millet 1-4 on my Ar now and used it yesterday at a 3 gun match and it worked great for me. At my home range i have no problem ringing steel to 400 yards without touching the elevation knob.

I am replacing it with a Nightforce soon so it will be up in the for sale section soon if anyone is thinking about getting one. It's in good shape and has Burris Xtreme rings on it.

It's up for sale now.

Nordic,

I have a couple of the Weaver Classic Extreme in 1.5X4.5 w/ German # 4 reticle and 30 MM tubes. Both are mounted in Talley rings on DSA bases for a couple of FALs.

Very good scopes for the price. No real ranging reticle (i.e. not tacti-cool) but I like the heavier #4 reticles, has a lighted dot (red), have held up well, good optics, and you can zero out both windage and elevation.

S/F, FOG

It looks like the Weaver Classic Extreme is no longer made, but there's supposed to be a Super Slam 1.5-5x24 available soon. I'll have to give it a look.

Nordic,

I found mine at Natchez on clearance. Just checked and they have some left w/duplex.

S/, FOG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FOG II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nordic,

I found mine at Natchez on clearance. Just checked and they have some left w/duplex.

S/, FOG </div></div>

I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place, but the only ones I can find are out of stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the Millett would get my vote, knowing what little I know about the 3 you listed.

For a 223 bolt gun though, a little more magnification could be nice to have should to want to stretch it out a hair more.

Something with a low end, a little more high end and I think a better quality scope would be the Bushnell 3200 2-6x32 for $300.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-riflescope-322632.html</div></div>

Have to agree with Jason on owning a Millet before in the past life, but also try the AR Leupold. I have a new one in 3x9 withh a 55 bdc and it works nice. Dont know if I will continue to use the bdc, can have it changed in aftermarket, but for now it is GTG and under $300

Purchased from SWFA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FOG II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nordic,

Here is a link. http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=WE it showed in stock when I posted. Gomen-Asi.

Also I re-checked and used the Warne QD rings vice Talley.

S/F, FOG </div></div>

When you click on the actual item it shows that it's out of stock.