• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Criterion Hybrid Contour AR10 barrels?

Sub-MOA

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2018
Currently in the process of building a 308 AR-10 with the goal of achieving a consistent 1 MOA or better with factory match ammo/handloads. As far as barrels go, it seems like Criterion, JP, and Krieger are popular options for higher-end AR10 barrels.

I'm currently considering the 20" Criterion hybrid contour barrel. It comes in several finishes, but I'm leaning towards the 416R stainless/nitrided version.. For around $300, it seems like a good balance of cost and performance.

Has anyone had experiences, whether good or bad, with these barrels?

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/308-ar/hybrid-contour-dpms-pattern-308-ar-barrels/

Edit: have also read a lot of good things about Wilson Combat's 308 barrels. Anyone have input on those vs. the Criterion?

Those are great barrels, one of the best before stepping up to something like a CLE or Craddock Bartlein. It will certainly achieve your goal of 1moa, and likely exceed it by a good margin. Pretty unbeatable at that price.

I'd recommend nitride finish. But with confidence.

I have two nitride hybrid contour Criterion AR308 barrels. Both super accurate and neither copper fouls. Highly recommended. Very few, if any other, production barrels are hand lapped and nitrided.

-Stooxie

I put a 16” SS/Nitride barrel on a DMR build. I haven’t shot it yet but I did run into an issue mounting an OSS BPR1 on it, the mounting section would hang up on the gas block journal. The bore and muzzle threads are not on-axis with the contour so I had to have a section turned down slightly.

Thanks everyone. Have a 20" Criterion nitrided hybrid contour barrel chambered in M118LR on the way, along with a nitrided Toolcraft BCG.

Two of my three AR's have chrome lined hybrid profile barrels from Criterion. I have had great results with them both. I am currently doing load development for my 308 and the results so far are promising. If it helps, I'm using 8208 and 155 grain bullets.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big van of 8208XBR as well.

Thanks everyone. Have a 20" Criterion nitrided hybrid contour barrel chambered in M118LR on the way, along with a nitrided Toolcraft BCG.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big van of 8208XBR as well.

I’m running that same barrel and BCG in one of my rifles. It’s a great shooting setup.

I shot an OCW test today at my local range with 5 shots per charge from 42.0 to 45.0 in 0.3 grain increments. I zeroed with the lowest charge of 42.0. Todays winners were 44.4, 44.7, and 45.0. These were the only three consecutive charge weights who's point of [aim/impact] relationship were the same. They grouped in the same area on the target and were roughly the same size with the 44.7 being the tightest. I didn't measure groups today but 44.7 just fit inside the 1 inch squares. Now I'm wondering if playing with seating depth will make a difference. Only one way to find out!

How did the lowest charge of 42.0 do? I made a few lightly loaded 308 test loads, and when I tried them in a bolt gun the 42.0 charge was doing sub-MOA so I was going to start with the same charge in the AR10.

Reactions: Pusher591