• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing opinions on deer hunting rounds

bobster177

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2009
Jacksonville N.C.
I know the topics been covered before but i wanted to start a new one. Whats your go to bullet for shooting deer over 400 yds. Ive been shooting a .308 150 grn cor-lokt up to 300 yds.Whats good past that?

Re: opinions on deer hunting rounds

My two deer rifles are a Marlin 336 in .30-30, and a Rem 700 in .300WSM. For my Marlin I'm currently using Hornady Lever Revolution 160 gr. I don't reload, is this my best option for my lever gun? I hunt in Macon, Missouri, where the range varies. I shoot out of a stand 90% of the time, around corn and bean fields. Usually have ranges from 50 yds-600+. ???

308:
1. Barnes TTSX or MRX.
2. Hornady 165 GR Bonded
3. Nosler 165 GRAccubond

not in any order

IMG_0394.jpg

My uncle holds up a mule deer buck he killed with a single shot at 285 meters.(.308, 155 scenar)

IMG_0413.jpg

These were shot at 400 meters out of the same bunch with one shot each...155 scenars.

It's always been my opinion that it is more important where you hit them than what you hit them with but you still need enough gun for the job and one that will help you hit them where you want and enough wallop that it will work on bad shots too. It's a tough combo to find.

It's hard to kill them past dead.

Shot placement and again shot placement. Any one can kill paper. Fur has a way of making things change. Remember that shooting with what you are capable of and have faith in has a lot to do with success. You can shootem with 460 weatherby but can only killem but so DEAD.

This year will be either a 180 JLK LBT or a 175 Berger VLD, I trust the Berger. If I can get a coyote to sacrifice his self in the name of science I will find out if the JLK will work.

243-95gr ballistic silver tips 270-140gr Accubond
7mm-160gr Accubond 7mm-168gr Berger VDL
30.06-165 Accubond

My vote is for the 7mm SAUM pushing the 180 gr Bergers. It worked great for the wife and me this past year, 7 shots-7 kills out past 400 yds.
PB170176-1.jpg

PA030137.jpg