• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Opinions on Ed Brown 1911’s?

fn1889m

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2023
PNW
I own 4 1911s which I have highly modified. An Argentine, Colt, SA, and a Caspian parts gun that I shoot (slowly) in ASI. With that said, none of my 1911’s are a Baer. They are only vanilla basic guns which shoot and dont jam with RN reloads. I know my way around the basics, have modified all of them, and I can shoot a 1911. Thats about it - shooters, and not custom level.

My question - what is the consensus of the CURRENT production 1911 from Ed Brown. I like their parts, prefer them actually, and was thinking of ordering a basic model, fixed sight, traditional format, no wiz bang features. I have my own opinion about Baer, Wilson, SA, and Colt. But I wonder what the census is re a Brown 1911? I am not looking for a target gun, but reliability with “better than me” accuracy. I shoot well enough to tell the difference between my 1911s, so I want a 1911 that is better than that. My list of custom 1911s is the older list, and my information is dated.

I had posted this in the Les Baer thread, but realized it was off-topic.

Last edited:
Although I don't own a 45 ACP from Ed Brown, I do have a Browning Hi Power that went through the Ed Brown process and I can't say enough good about it. Transformed the gun completely.

I would think his 45 ACP products are equally transformative

I had a Cobra Carry for a while. It was a really nice gun, superb build quality and feel and also shot well. Traded it off for a like new Nighthawk T3 which was/is, to me, just a cut above the Ed Brown. It’s also the only 1911 I’ve kept.

Had the chance to shoot a Cobra Carry, what a delight to shoot, that said, I very much enjoy my Baer TRS.

I have 2 Ed browns a Kobra carry lightweight, and custom classic. Along with baers, nighthawks and a few others.

Browns are good to go. I think the baers are little more accurate but browns are nice blend of better finish and ascetics and super accurate.

brown will build it however you want it, that was one of the reason I got a couple browns over more baers. and there lead times are quick in comparison to 12 month’s minimum for Baer and 24 months for nighthawk (got told that this week)

Look into Alchemy Custom Weaponry & Cabot Guns as well as Guncrafter if you get the chance.

If you're open to 9mm/2011, ACW Quantico Hi-Cap... with ball cuts & ring hammer.

Reactions: USO-Josh
I know you like these very well known smith’s, and that is all good, but don’t overlook someone like Jeff Abernathy at Tommyguns. He is a master machinist, and has been a top notch 1911 builder for years. Look at his stuff online or on Facebook. I promise you won’t be disappointed. All of his builds are custom, and you will get whatever you want.

Ed Brown still makes a great gun! The special forces model and the classic carry are awesome. In the same Price range I would also recommend Alchemy Custom Weaponry by Master Gunsmith Rob Schauland . I have shot all of there models and own a Prime Elite and it is the perfect 1911.

I own a Government Special Forces and its fantastic, I can't recommend it enough. I also own a GI NoName, WC CQB, NH Heinie PDP, LB TRS, SA Professional & DW Valor. There all Government models in 45 acp. There all great guns in there own rite. But the EB & LB is the leaders to me.

I am not a fan of Les Baer and Nighthawk, I did like and had good success with my Brown. ( I have sold all of them at this point and moved to 2011s).