• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on EGW and DeadNutz?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
Been looking at a base for my Remington Mohawk and the EGW is a great price. There are not a ton of options for this gun and I always wonder if the goofy recoil lug will interfere with any of the mounts.

The other set up I am considering is the DeadNutz setup. Have seen quite a few on hunting rifles and everyone is very happy with them.

I am basically building a LTR type gun to keep in my truck when I am roaming the desert around here.

I just ordered rings and a base from EGW. They were having a ring and Base special for $175. They are going on a F-TR savage. Everything I have read about them has been good. Dont know a thing about deadnutz...

What about Talley rings?

Have a few EGW bases and they seem to be good quality at good prices. Never had an issue with any of them. Don't know a damn thing about deadnutz...

I have a DNZ on one of my Tikkas, They are rock solid, but have to be the gaudiest looking rings ever. If Warne made a low Tikka I would have gone that route. I like Warne because they are steel, and price is right.

I have a couple of the EGW bases, nothing fancy, no recoil lug, not the greatest base, but also not the costliest. I'm sure they'll work just fine (mine have). Don't know anything about the DNZ.

I've got an EGW base on my Tikka T3 and it fit perfectly. I have another EGW base on its way to me now for another rifle.

Sounds like I am good either way. I really like the Deadnutz stuff but the EGW base is inexpensive and I probably have some rings around here.

I have used EGW bases for m700's and my Savage bolt action 20ga. Slug gun. They fit great and I have not had any issues.

I had the DNZ mount on a 700 hunting rifle. Really liked it. They were strong, well made and light. I was fairly impressed with its performance/functionality and it wasn't too expensive.

I have also used the EGW bases before and not had and issue with them either. But if you prefer the single ring/base mount I would recommend the DNZ.

I too have an EGW atop my 5R with Seekins rings, I'm happy with the setup. It was a good fit, I thought I'd have to bed the base (8541 tactcal has a nice video if interested).

I have a few of each that I use on my precision rifles.

On EGW the only trouble I have had was with the base screws they sent. I called and asked what torque value to use and when I applied that to the first screw it striped. That was before they started a “HD” line. I used one of those as well and the base and screw set were much better made/finshed and sat lower on the action. If I were to buy more, The HD line would be where I would look.

On DNZ, I personally love these. I bought a Nightforce one piece mount and liked everything about it except for how high my scope sat above the barrel with their lowest mount at the time (they now have one that is lower). Searching for something lower brought me to DNZ. At first I was skeptical because of their appearance but after ordering one I was very impressed with the quality. Now that is my go to mount for any rifle I am outfitting. The hole mount weights less than a badger rail plus It’s has two less nuts to loosen at an inopportune time. The only issue I have ever had is with my SWFA SS 5-20 scopes that have a much longer eye relief than most. These scopes can’t be moved forward enough to give me proper eye relief. All the other scopes I use work fine, the mount is just lacking about 3/8’s to 1/2” of room for the SS scopes. Aside from that they are a great mount and why four of my Remington’s now wear them as well as my Encore muzzleloader.

DNZ is good stuff. Used their mount on an AR for a while, and a buddy has a set of their rings on his 7mm ultra mag.

I have used EGW parts for my 10/22 and 1911's with great success, but no experience with their rings.