• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opinions on Harbor Freight 9x20 Lathe

bronco_buster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
OH
I've got a chance to pick up a 9x20 Harbor Freight lathe for less than 600 bucks. I'm real tempted as I'd like to learn to use a lathe. That being said, I have never used a lathe before. I've read a little about these lathes and it seems like it has a few drawbacks...people say there isn't a drop in reliable 4 jaw chuck, and they complain of the lack of a tumbler gear. My question is, should this dissuade me or should I jump on it...it seems like a decent deal, but being a newb with zero experience I don't want to get something that you have to be an expert to set up to run true. Thanks.

Re: Opinions on Harbor Freight 9x20 Lathe

Its been my experience that 99% of the products sold by HF are good for one thing; creating fish habitat at the bottom of a lake.

Caveat emptor. . .

As a hobby lathe, it is probably OK to learn on.

Don't expect to do much precision work with it. As you become more experienced, you will likely want something nicer and you could sell it and move up.

I would stop looking at the HF stuff and just keep your eyes open on Craigslist instead for a used lathe. The manual machine market is in the buyers' favor now and some very good deals are to be had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stop looking at the HF stuff and just keep your eyes open on Craigslist instead for a used lathe. The manual machine market is in the buyers' favor now and some very good deals are to be had. </div></div>

+1
Far too many decent machines available for not too much more than you proposed spending on Horror Fright junk. One thing to keep in mind when looking at used machines- What is the availability of repair/spare parts? The sweetest deal becomes sour when it is broken down and no parts can be had.
As Chad has said elsewhere- always buy more machine than you think you need.

So what is a good recommendation for a beginner, both size and brand? I am interested in a mini-lathe setup. But if I can get good results with something else I'm all ears. My understanding is that most mini lathes are manufactured by China, so I assume that if HF is junk, then brands like Enco, Cummins, Griizzly etc are too, since they all come from primarily one or two companies in China, with minor modifications of color and accessories?

I'm looking to thread muzzles, convert bolt handles, turn barrels and make small hard to find parts. Maybe too optimistic for a beginner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is a good recommendation for a beginner, both size and brand? I am interested in a mini-lathe setup. But if I can get good results with something else I'm all ears. My understanding is that most mini lathes are manufactured by China, so I assume that if HF is junk, then brands like Enco, Cummins, Griizzly etc are too, since they all come from primarily one or two companies in China, with minor modifications of color and accessories?

I'm looking to thread muzzles, convert bolt handles, turn barrels and make small hard to find parts. Maybe too optimistic for a beginner? </div></div>

Grizzly tends to be the premium of the chicom products, I think QC is tighter with them and you cannot argue with the support, Grizzly has parts etc. HF tends to be bottom of the barrel. All that being said, a good size, minimum, gunsmith lathe is a 13x40. Keep your eyes open in the used market but remember, a new chicom lathe is still often better than a worn out U.S. made lathe. On that same note, if you buy a used lathe, you might find yourself hunting things like a follower rest, steady rest and other accessories.

A few models off the top of my head, a long bed Harrison M300, a Clausing 13x40, Nardini, larger Southbends, LeBlond. Avoid the older units with the electronic speed controls & what not unless you're good with electrical. Some of that can be replaced with a new VFD & motor but you have to keep that cost in mind.You also have to keep in mind the source of repair parts if they are necessary. Any used lathe should be inspected & checked in person. Lots of folks out there that pressure wash them, slap a coat of paint on them and try to get a premium buck just because they look pretty.

I love my Grizzly mill! It's no Bridgeport but it works fine. Plus parts can be had and I live sort of close to a showroom. I would buy from Grizzly without the hesitation associated with harbor freight.

Anything I buy at harbor freight is considered expendable after one use. I love their little air brushes, for $8 they are not worth cleaning and I just use a new one for each project.

Would something like this, do what I want? What would a good price on it be expected to run?

South Bend Floor Model Metal Working Lathe
13" Swing 5' Bed
Catalog No. 386-B
Many accessories, includes tool carriage and tail piece. Approximate date that the lathe was made is between 1928 and 1940. It is either an O series or N series.

3n93m03la5V55T25S3b355709401b4cb91573.jpg

Harbor Freight lathes are made in China like every other new lathe a gunsmith can afford.

They have mostly interchangeable parts.

The hole through the headstock of a 9x20 Chinese lathe will be 3/4" and not the best for bull barrels, but they can be done in the steady rest.

The new cost is ~$1000, so I would try to dicker them down to $500.

If you are just cutting threads and chambers on a barrel, that lathe is probably going to get every job done, but with the utmost of little inconveniences compared to some 12x36 lathe.

I you re barrel a dozen rifles with it over the next couple years and then trade up to a bigger lathe, your rifles may not get any more accurate, but you will enjoy the luxury. You will probably make a profit on owning the 9x20, but will not miss it when it is replaced.

I don't believe I would trust my gun work to a harbor freight lathe, if you wanna buy it to just dick around on then go for it.

You can probably get the job done with the HF lathe but they do have little issues like the hand wheels having slop in them (having to turn it a couple thou. before the carriage moves at all) and stuff like that. I suppose if you start out and get good on a HF piece of junk you will be real good by the time you get a good lathe

I purchased a Jet 9x20 lathe back in 1998. It is marginal to do most gun work, but the guns I have chambered have had no problem shooting sub MOA. It is definitely not an optimal setup to do barrel work for long guns. I bought it to do Encore handgun barrels. I managed to do a couple Mauser 98 guns with sporter barrels that shoot very well.

The Jet 9x20 comes with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, steady rest and follow rest. Purists may cringe, but the ground hogs I shot didn't know if it came from a cheap DIY Mauser or my pro built varmint setup.

I would not get anything from harbor freight and expect it to be precise. I had one that the tailstock was off and had to go through all kinds of sh%$^t in order to even center work.

Additionally the thing had a good bit of flex on the toolholder, forget taking more than 5/1000 off of a piece of work in one pass, you will have the tool move around and slip off of your work.

I hear these are better,

http://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe,9615.html

I also would be leery of the supposed rated speeds, the microlux probably is accurate, but the HFs wont slow below 120 rpm or so without modification to the speed control board.

Note also the price and what is included in these things, generally things like steady rests, tools, follow rests, etc are accessories and cost extra.

check out some of the mini-lathe forums and ask around, I would be willing that by the time you set up a mini to run right yo could get a smaller version of something better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would something like this, do what I want? What would a good price on it be expected to run?

13" Swing 5' Bed
Catalog No. 386-B
Many accessories, includes tool carriage and tail piece. Approximate date that the lathe was made is between 1928 and 1940. It is either an O series or N series.

</div></div>

I don't think you want to mess around with an old antique SB. Not knocking it for nostalgia's sake but it's far from ideal for what you want to do and you'll have a tough time selling it later. You can get a Grizzly G4003G delivered for $3250 though I'd recommend the G0709 for $4450 delivered. Either one will have a quick and fair resale from what I've seen. No it's not the ideal lathe but probably the best value on the market short of finding a one owner, low hour Hardinge in a widows garage who just wants it gone. Keep saving. In the mean time, find someone with a lathe or a trade school where you can take some classes and get some hands on time to quell that urge to spend your money.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Any want to offer an opinion on the Smithy Granite 1340? I have an opportunity to purchase one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would something like this, do what I want? What would a good price on it be expected to run?

13" Swing 5' Bed
Catalog No. 386-B

</div></div>

I don't know how serious the gun work will be but that South Bend with a good tailstock and presumably a good bed will probably give you good service for years. The distance between centers might be a little short for some projects and the spindle bore on the South Bend I had wasn't big enough to run a barrel through. Parts can be a problem. They're out there, or at least were out there when I used a 13" South Bend 20 years ago but you'll probably have to search for them.
You'd probably be ahead to buy one of the Grizzly's mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJ BAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any want to offer an opinion on the Smithy Granite 1340? I have an opportunity to purchase one. </div></div>

IMHO none of the 3-in-one machines are worth a dime. Maybe if you're a railroad modeler or similar. The lack mass and rigidity for any heavy work and the geometry is not optimum. Flimsy tail stocks sit too high, cross slide too high, lots of flex & slop in the system. Generally anything designed to do multiple things doesn't do any one of them particularly well. I've yet to meet a 3-in-one owner that was happy with their machine. Plenty of "like new, hardly used" ones for sale.

I just bought a new Kent Usa 1340 to upgrade from my old southbend 13 inch. I opted to keep the old southbend though because I have a 5c collet setup for it and I will also use it to polish parts on to lessen the chance of getting polishing grit on the ways of my new lathe. And the old southbend has a taper attachment. My old southbend worked good for working on guns but It was worn out when I got it. I will say though that I used it to make a part that broke on my new one. The main thing to consider about the harbor freight lathe you are looking at buying is it does not have a inside spindle diameter large enough to pass a barrel through and probably does not have enough length to do barrel work using a steadyrest. Those 2 issues alone would cause me to pass that lathe up and look for another one. I know I learned that the hard way. I have had a few smaller lathes that would not work for barrels.

I forgot to mention, the old southbends are good to learn on because they are driven by a leather belt, and when the shtf and you crash something, which you will, the belt will slip if you are lucky, you will have minimal damage. If you crash one of the newer lathes that are gear driven something will break and you are going to be pulling it apart and replacing gears etc. The other thing about the old belt drive lathes is they have to be oiled constantly, be careful if you plan on buying an old belt drive and check for bearing play at the head by mounting a dial indicator and prying up on the chuck, if you buy one that is worn out, it will not only produce work that is sloppy, it will also create chatter on the work and it is worthless unless it is repaired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJ BAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any want to offer an opinion on the Smithy Granite 1340? I have an opportunity to purchase one. </div></div>

IMHO none of the 3-in-one machines are worth a dime. Maybe if you're a railroad modeler or similar. The lack mass and rigidity for any heavy work and the geometry is not optimum. Flimsy tail stocks sit too high, cross slide too high, lots of flex & slop in the system. Generally anything designed to do multiple things doesn't do any one of them particularly well. I've yet to meet a 3-in-one owner that was happy with their machine. Plenty of "like new, hardly used" ones for sale. </div></div>

Thanks for the information

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniperhandle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">be careful if you plan on buying an old belt drive and check for bearing play at the head by mounting a dial indicator and prying up on the chuck, if you buy one that is worn out, it will not only produce work that is sloppy, it will also create chatter on the work and it is worthless unless it is repaired. </div></div>

They also get "sow bellied" The bed wears close to the chuck because most work is done there as opposed to closer to the tailstock end. End result is an inexperienced user can't figure out why the dimensions vary on a longer cut and no amount of tailstock tweaking removes the taper.

I picked up a cheap HF lathe with only one thought in my mind. Do the dirtiest nastiest work on this lathe alone and keep it in a seperate room from my tooling lathes. I will admit its a POS but it has its uses - mostly polishing where you are too lazy to cover the ways with news paper.

These chinese lathes are cheap for a reason. These have tremendous out of tolerance lash issues, motors are not reliable and neither is the gearbox. For another couple hundred, im sure you can find one at an auction or check ebay that is a decent quality, better anyways. Harbor Freight usually equals throwaway. Just my .02