• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Hornady Lock N Load Die Bushings

EnjoyTheWilderness

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2018
I started handloading about a year or so ago. And as I continue to learn I am questioning some of my early decisions on equipment. I am generally loading for PRS type of competition. I am using a single stage Rock Chucker, A&D scale, Autotrickler, Redding Type "S" full length dies, etc.

I initially setup the Hornady Lock N Load bushings to facilitate setting up dies one time and then allow for quick change from one die to the next. While the system works great from a quick change perspective, I now am wondering if it gives the level of repeatability I am expecting. What is the general consensus on these? Good, bad or otherwise?

I use them and think they work fine for precision rifle loads. What is making you question them to me it sounds like you have a very solid setup?

Thanks for the feedback. As to my expectations, I am generally happy with my results. It's just about an ongoing review of my workflow. One thing I would like to see more consistency with is my measured concentricity. It's good (from memory, maybe 2-3 thousandths?), but wonder what might improve it. So I wonder if there is a negative impact on bullet seating? Or maybe I am chasing ghosts.

Also, when I watch online videos of other handloaders to see what their equipment/workflow looks like, I just don't seem to see anyone uses them. I am not trying to be like everyone else, but I was wondering if maybe it was known that for precision handloading they introduced some issue (or not). I do like the convenience they provide. I just keep my dies in a dedicated bushing for each die.

If you are getting that much run out I would try switching dies, I know people swear by the Redding type S but that has not been my experience. Run out happens at the sizing die in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you check the neck run out on a fired case then check the same on a sized case and then again after seating a bullet you will be able to quickly determine where the issue if any is coming from. The case base and side walls along with the shoulder will determine the case centerline when it is in the chamber so if you are concentric with the case base you are about as good as you are likely to get. IMHO

As a person who uses a RCBS single stage, with Forrester FL die and micrometer seating die, would those recommend the hornady die bushings for easy swapping? I'd rather not buy another stage with rotating turrets, but the ease of switching out dies would improve my life quality.

I would recommend the Hornady die bushings, they are very quick and easy and not extremely expensive. You can always convert back and sell the bushings if you don't like it.

I use them and have noticed the resizing die stays locked in the bushing well but the bushing does back out of the press a few degrees after two or three cases. I’ve found myself hand tightening it after each case out of skepticism. I haven’t actually measured to see if the slight loosening makes any difference though. I guess I probably should.

Reactions: upsdownsideways
I use them and have noticed the resizing die stays locked in the bushing well but the bushing does back out of the press a few degrees after two or three cases. I’ve found myself hand tightening it after each case out of skepticism. I haven’t actually measured to see if the slight loosening makes any difference though. I guess I probably should.
If or when you do, let us know

Reactions: db2000
So update...Here’s a pic showing how I’m set up. Shell holder engages the bottom of the resizer barely to feel a slight pressure/cam in the handle when pulled all the way down. I’ve measured Hornady 6.5 PRC cases from base to neck/shoulder junction and it’s seems approximately 1.75” no matter if I hand tighten down very tight each time or just keep resizing and not tighten each time. If there is a measurable difference it seems negligible.
17DE5CAC-FE18-419C-9397-528281C535E8.jpeg

I bought a 10 pack of the LNL bushings and the press insert. My main disappointment with them is that they don't lock on the die. They die must be torqued into the LNL bushing -- by how much? If it is torqued "finger-tight", that is insecure and can easily vary from time to time and with changes in temperature. If it's torqued more than finger-tight, the pressure on the die threads opposes those of the lock ring -- like a pair of jam nuts. If the die will never need to be adjusted, it can just be set, jammed, and forgotten -- it will keep the setting. On the other hand, if the die is adjusted frequently (bumping brass for different rifles, seating different bullets, crimping different length cases, or whatever), the LNL bushing is difficult to untorque. Attempting to untorque it in the press can result in the bushing insert unthreading. Instead, I would put it in the soft jaws of my vice and loosen the die. Only then could the lock ring be adjusted. I wouldn't put up with this for very long, and I doubt other people do. I suspect LNL users simply use "finger tightness." I prefer a die bushing that pinches the die with a cross-bolt. Finger-tight and o-ring friction don't seem very consistent.

To be fair, I can't account for a problem in the results -- but then we rarely select reloading equipment merely for the results. Lee presses can deliver excellent results, so why do people pay for Forster, Redding, and Dillon? It's not just because they measured the ammo produced with Lee and found a problem. Instead, they might have found the process of reloading with Lee was frustrating -- or maybe not, I've had good times with some Lee equipment.

I did not have a good time with Lock N Load Bushings. If they pinched the die with a cross-bolt thereby eliminating the need for a separate lock-ring with opposing torque, then I would enjoy them a lot more.

With respect to concentricity, it may not be the press or bushing that is introducing it. Furthermore, even inexpensive dies can be reamed with high-precision to produce excellent concentricity. Precision reamers are not a technological hurdle that require a high-end die company to overcome. Precision in bullet seating depth might be down to die quality, but probably not concentricity, either for sizing or seating.

A chamber with poor concentricity could be causing problems, but like dies, chambers machined with modern reamers are not likely to have this problem -- not likely, but possible. Brass can be marked and "clocked" as it's chambered and measured before and after firing to gauge whether the chamber is skewing it.

It's not likely the press either. Shell holders are loose-fitting. They're not like lathe collets where we can assure precision centering. In fact, Forster and MEC presses deliberately float the shell. So concentricity problems are not likely the fault of the press. So what is?

Brass. It's just not nearly as high-precision as the precision-machined steel parts in our tooling. If you have a concentricity checker, sort brass and see if it changes over time or the concentric brass stays concentric and the skewed brass stays skewed.

Reactions: db2000