• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Leupold EFR Rimfire

Meat Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
SE TN
Does anybody have any experience with Leupold EFR Rimfire scopes? I am speaking of the 58710 model. 3-9 X 33 AO.
I'm looking for a decent scope for my recently purchased M & P 1522. I'll mostly be punching paper at 100 yds or less and shooting some tree rats. I've been shopping hard for three days and this scope has caught more of my attention than any of the competition.

Re: Opinions on Leupold EFR Rimfire

I have two, they are fine scopes for a hunting rifle, but really lacking for serious target use. Keep that in mind.

I also have 2 of them you could spend more money on a different scope but for sniping the tree rats you will not be dissapointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik.300ultra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two, they are fine scopes for a hunting rifle, but really lacking for serious target use. Keep that in mind. </div></div>

Well if I were going to do some serious target work I would have gone with a more serious target rifle. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 3-9 x 33 EFR Rimfire. I haven't even fired the rifle yet but after getting it mounted I think it will do the job that I need it to quite nicely.

30xbf4n.jpg

2yx2hx5.jpg

Nice looking rig maybe you can get out this weekend and let us know how it shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rig maybe you can get out this weekend and let us know how it shoots
</div></div>

I plan to do that very thing today. Will post a range/scope report when I get done.

I use these exclusively on my rimfires. Send that thing back and get them to install M-1 knobs for ya....it will help you reach out a bit.

As mentioned, not ideal for target...but perfect for field use.

I just finished putting together a 40x rimfire today. I am going to start shopping around for another one of the 3x9 EFR's for my new project.

Quick range report. Rifle is a total blast to shoot. Ran a few mags through her of various kinds of ammo. Nothing earth shattering yet but the trigger is crap. Forgot my rest so I shot off the top of an ammo box.Average group was about 1-1/2".Popped the trigger group out and sent it to Bill Springfield for him to do his magic. I think with a good trigger and proper rest it will be a moa shooter.
The Leupold EFR was everything I thought it would be. I realy love the little scope.

I had the 3-9 RF special on a Beman HW97 springer. It was a very good scope for the money and many blackbirds, rabbits, and squirrels met their demise at up to 75 yards with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the 3-9 RF special on a Beman HW97 springer. It was a very good scope for the money and many blackbirds, rabbits, and squirrels met their demise at up to 75 yards with it. </div></div>

That is real good to hear. If the scope will stand up to a heavy springer it will last forever on a rimfire. Not many scopes can make that claim. My Diana 48 .22 cal is a scope eater. The only scope that has held up more than a couple hundred rounds has been a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO.

I have a 3X9X33 EFR on my Cooper 22 rifle. I am a hunter like you, and also spend alot of time target shooting. I honestly can not think of a better scope for the 22LR cartridge. Especially when chasing squirrels around the woods. How much more power could you possibly need for a 22LR cartridge?? Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 3X9X33 EFR on my Cooper 22 rifle. I am a hunter like you, and also spend alot of time target shooting. I honestly can not think of a better scope for the 22LR cartridge. Especially when chasing squirrels around the woods. How much more power could you possibly need for a 22LR cartridge?? Tom. </div></div>

Exactly. I won't take a shot on a tree rat any more than 75 yds with a .22. I like to make head shots because I eat the squirrels. Even with my Sako Finnfire which is a bughole gun at 50 yds. it is a crapshoot past 75 yds. At least with me behind the gun.
The only complaint I have whatsoever with the EFR is the small field of view. I knew that the 33mm obj would be that way going in so it is not a real issue.

Getting the knobs upgraded is really nice if you are going to be shooting at different distances. I had a couple of my 3-9 EFR's upgraded to the target turrents but much prefer the M1 turrets like on this 3.5-10 EFR.
P1030149.jpg

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting the knobs upgraded is really nice if you are going to be shooting at different distances. I had a couple of my 3-9 EFR's upgraded to the target turrents but much prefer the M1 turrets like on this 3.5-10 EFR.
P1030149.jpg

Pat </div></div>

I don't know if I ever will be shooting different distances or not but I do not like the turrets on my EFR. You have to use a coin or some other "tool" to turn them. What does the upgrade cost? How long to turn around?

$60 / per...so $120 total + shipping.

Turnaround is rapid..2 weeks or so on my first one. On the second, well, I just ordered it that way off of Leupy's website custom shop. Arrived as expected
wink.gif

Goat I looked on leupolds website and couldent find that 3.5x10 where is it listed and does it only come in 50MM

I have 2X7 rimfire special, which is a great scope. A 3x9x33 EFR which is excellent for rimfires. Just bought a 6.5x20 EFR to try. I think Leupold is King in my book.

Leupold haas not made the 3.5-10x50 for awhile. I have kept an eye out for them for the last 8 or 10 years and have aquired several to compliment my 3-9 EFR's. Unfortunately I am scope poor and have not yet upgraded them all
smile.gif

Step one is the get the scope though
smile.gif

Pat

The more I shoot the EFR the more I like it. Ran about 200 rounds throgh the 1522 today. Very hot outside with bright sun and plenty of mirage. I also shot quite a few rounds through my HMR which has a Bushnell on it. The Leupold blew the Bushy completely away. I will be replacing the Bushnell on the .17 with another EFR.

I just bought a new one on gun broker yesterday for 340$ I now have 3 of them.

that's a good price but I stole one off another forum the other day
for $300. sorry. these little scopes are the best thing since canned beer in my opinion.

300$ was a steal as long as it was one of the new ones. these are really hard to find on the used market. What are you putting your on?

I just bought a brand new one from Bruno's for just under $350-and they included shipping by my request. So $300 is fair, but not a steal for a used one. Tom.

Snagged a quick pic of my 3-9 EFR w/ M1 Knobs, for reference. This one's sitting on my Izhmash...great scopes!

Izhmash_3-9EFR_2.jpg