Rifle Scopes Opinions on Leupold VX III 1.5-5 Illum Circle dot

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I was considering getting MK4 MR/T until I found out about the VXIII 1.5-5. How good is this scope in general? I am planning on using it on an AR for close to mid range. Is the circle dot reticle good for this purpose?

Thanks

35WLN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Oregon
Re: Opinions on Leupold VX III 1.5-5 Illum Circle dot

I found the 1.5 power setting to be annoying when shooting close targets with both eyes open. I shoot some 3gun and that is what I used it for. As far as the circle dot I liked it, like an Eotech however the illumination was not bright enough for daylight. In the end I settled on a S&B short dot which was a close win over the Swaro 1-6. Hope this helps.

MAX100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
SC
Re: Opinions on Leupold VX III 1.5-5 Illum Circle

Some do have a problem shooting CQ both eyes open with a 1.5x scope and some don't. The Leupold 1.5-5x20 CD scope you are looking at is a very nice scope with very clear glass.

Here are some very good ones in about the same price range if you don't have to have a Leupold.

Meopta 1-4x22 K-Dot
Trijicon 1.25-4x24 TR21 scopes - The illuminated reticle can be seen in the daylight.

Here is a an excellent very large thread on the CQ mid range 1-4 scopes.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104

GC

angelone

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2009
Austria/EUROPE
Re: Opinions on Leupold VX III 1.5-5 Illum Circle

MAX100 said:
Some do have a problem shooting CQ both eyes open with a 1.5x scope and some don't. The Leupold 1.5-5x20 CD scope you are looking at is a very nice scope with very clear glass.

Here are some very good ones in about the same price range if you don't have to have a Leupold.

Meopta 1-4x22 K-Dot
Trijicon 1.25-4x24 TR21 scopes - The illuminated reticle can be seen in the daylight.

Trijicon has the problem in full sunlight,the illum. overburn the target,so you cant take a precision shot.
the circle dot is without illum. black and clear,and better choice as trijicon