• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on Magpul MBUS sights.

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
Looking for opinions from people who have used these sight or can recomend a pair of flip up sights in the same or lower price point.
Trying to set up my fathers rifle and he prefers to run his optic low and a typical A2 front sight is way to high.

Last edited:
For the money, they are by far your best option. Unless you can put $175+ into a pair of irons, Magpul is your best sight IMO.
Keep in mind they are plastic though. They are not recommended to mount on railed gas blocks, handguards only.

I used to question their quality, but after using them a bit I must agree with the above, they are the best sites for the money. Especially for true backup sites as I've seen articles online of people doing durability tests of different backup irons involving drop tests and surprisingly the cheap little Magpuls keep on trucking while others get left in the dust.

I have a set on a S&W M&P 15-22 Magpul edition that I picked up for a plinker and trainer.
I like them. Easy to see, simple to adjust. They are not the sights that came on my Knight's Armament SR-15 but they cost much less and are usable.
I have a Bushnell TR-25 on the gun as well and they co-witness well. Bottom 1/3 with the riser I used under the Bushy.
I like the fact I can flip em down when I use the red dot and pop them right back up if need be.

Thanks for your most helpful observation.

Spelling and now grammar...oh dear. I should stop before you get upset LOL.

Trying to be more helpful, the sights are great but I believe Troy are worth considering.

I have used several sets of the MBUS sights over the years. In general I prefer the Troy better, but I still have a couple of uppers with the Magpul MBUS on them.

First, the Gen 2 sights are an improvement over the Gen 1. The rear flip aperture was really poorly thought out on the Gen 1. And the adjustments seem to work a little better on Gen 2.

Second, my only complaint about the MBUS is the front sight post. All of the ones I have configured on my rifles, and helping a couple of friends at the range were configured so that the front sight post is way too low. As a result, you end up threading the front post quite a long way UP, with the adjustment plate creating this sort of + shape instead of just the front post when you look down the rifle. You don't see the horizontal part once you look through rear sight. When you get into the rear sight and try to get a sight picture, it has the effect of putting the post top HIGHER into the wings of the front sight than I have seen on any other sights. It works just fine, but looks odd compared to traditional front AR sight. I suspect they could have designed it with a taller post, or higher "wings" and enclosed the adjustment plate.

I found this photo on the internet, these posts are higher than on any of my uppers, but it will give you the idea...
img_2342.jpg

Final comment - this is convenient/annoying all in one. The spring loaded deployment of the sights is very convenient and fast, with a solid stop point. Definitely easier to deploy than something like the Troy with the stiff detent button. However, that also means that you'll bump it from time to time and deploy the sight unintentionally. Usually it happens to me when I am messing with a rear scope cap, taking it out of a case, lowering out of deer stand, etc.

I run a set of fixed Troy sites on my personal gun because they don't bother me with my Eotech. I'm setting this rifle up for my dad , I'm 99.9999% sure he'll never be put in the situation where needing backup site os a game changer if the optic craps out but he wanted them anyway.
I just figured that the Magpul would be a cost effective way to go.

Thanks for everyone's replies

I run two sets of them. I think for the price point you cant beat em. They are what they are, BACK UP SIGHTS. I have them in case something happens to my optic and am in a bad situation where i would need something. I have sighted them in and do not use them ever, half the cost of troys etc. My two cents.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

They are OK for the money but the rear sight wont fit under some of my scopes. So I will eventually replaced them with Troy's.

You may want to check out our new MBUS Pro's. They're all metal and have come leaps and bounds in terms of reliability and durability. Don't get me wrong, the MBUS's are still a great option for the budget minded shooter. The Pro's are the lowest profile offered and as shown in testing they have an incredible return to zero tolerance (from retracted to deployed) where others don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am 52 and having a harder time with iron sights than I used to. Found these sights easy to see and ring steel at 100 yards. They work as great back up sights to my aimpoint.

They are OK for the money but the rear sight wont fit under some of my scopes. So I will eventually replaced them with Troy's.

The MBUS Pro's are low enough that they fit under many optics mounted in standard height mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk