• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on my first semi custom 308

gcoulsey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Lincolnshire England UK
After hours of research on 308's within my price range here in the uk, I have found an
excellant bunch of chaps that offer full/semi custom builds on various rifles, reasonably local to me, and I am going to visit them on Friday to talk to them and hopefully place a deposit on my first 308.

It will basically be a remmy 700 action and barrel, dropped into an AI version 1.5 stock/chassis system.

My question is.. Within my price range I think I have 2 options of barrel.. A rem 700 sps (26")
or for a little extra money the VSF barrel..

The rifle will be used predominantly for targets, mostly out to about 500yrds on our homemade range, with occasional 800yrd shooting when weather allows me on different location.

What are your opinions on the 2 different barrels, and which would you choose?

Both will be re-crowned, muzzle threaded for moderator, and generally 'fettled' as the chap says, so won't be exactly 'out the box'.

I will be using handloads, but which do you think would offer best accuracy?

I currently shoot sub .5 MOA (average) out to 500yrds with my factory sako 22-250.. So want to better that if possible!!

Thanks, giles.

Re: Opinions on my first semi custom 308

That's a tough call. Either could serve you well. Any chance of having a "custom" barrel put on it?. I've just come to learn that a "factory" barrel can be hit or miss unless your smith can bore-scope it and hand-pick or re-work it.

Yes they can do anything I require.. It's a matter of price!
Custom barrel will knock up the price too much (I'm already going for a custom trigger etc) so the action and barrel have to be pretty much standard.

If I increase the price I'm getting dangerously close to (divorce) sako trg price range.. Which would be a dream rifle for me, but unobtainable for the foreseable future..

I understand the hit/miss problem with factory action and barrel, but that's why I thought I would put it out on the forums to get a wide view of opinions!!

I think I have always been spoilt by my sako's outstanding factory performance, but I simply can't afford to use a sako for a custom build
frown.gif

Giles.

l'd say go with the Varmint if the sps's a sporter weight barrel.
lf the trigger's one of the new Xmark ones then shit can it!! and get a Timney/Riflebasix or a Jewell if you can get one for good money.

Go large on the muzzle thread (18x1 if possible)and get an "End Can" (ASE Ultra/Jet-Z etc) as a reflex type will heat your barrel too quickly for long strings of shots.

BTW, you don't have a cousin called William do you??!!

Regards.

Ratty.

I would imagine a custom barrel would be a bigger improvement of accuracy over a custom trigger.

But then again, thats only general information. For instance, my sps barrel is outstanding for a factory. However, I've read (not seen) many people say that the factory rem barrel is just "ok"

ratty.. yes its a riflebasix trigger, and its the sps varmint 'heavy' barrel.. the 26" 1-12 twist.. not the 1-10 twist pencil barrel.

barrel heat up is a pain.. but im put off with the huge length (and looks) of an end can.. always gone for the sleeve fit type.. but still open to suggestions on that.

Elxx.. i know what your saying about bigger accuracy gain with a custom barrel rather than trigger.. but the trigger is about £150, but a barrel could be £500-£1000... over my budget im afraid.