• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on non-match primers

jephs422

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I haven't seen this covered anywhere

Having a hard time finding any match primers near me, so I was thinking of using some federal 210s for my. 308. Anyone have luck using a standard primer with good results? I wont be shooting any further than 1k

Re: opinions on non-match primers

Lots here do. I don't notice any difference in accuracy between CCI 200's and the "match grade" BR-2 they sell. No difference in velocity either.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

The only cartridge I shoot where I see a difference is 221 Fireball. There I want the mildest primer I can find to keep consistent high accuracy. I tried to convince myself that was true with my 223 but in the end it wasn't. No difference at all in my larger caliber stuff.

This is personal opinion. First of all, I have been using Federal 210Match primers exclusively, for at least fifteen, closer to twenty years, except those that use small rifle primers and Winchester 8 and a half for 300WM.

I think performance of the match primers is damned near identical with plain vanilla 210 LR primers. I think I am wasting my money, but I don't care. I have no intention of using CCI, WW or anything else. But, I also think we are getting reamed for match primers, the only supposed difference is a strict quality control. I have heard they clean the production lines and run them at half speed using the most experienced, qualified operators. But, same ingredients, same finished product, with a theoretical degree of uniformity not seen in the regular primers. As far as I'm concerned, it's theoretical. I don't think the average shooter will ever suffer using a standard primer, without regard for the recent reports of metalurgical problems in WW cup material.

Short answer, you probably do not need match primers. Hello, fellow suckers. BB

I will be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that I am having a hard time finding them, I wouldn't even consider using the plain jane 210's. I probably have 40,000 205m's cause I messed up on my last order. Meant to order large rifles and ended up with too many small rifles.

Im a sucker like the rest of you guys, probably spending money and getting reamed on match primers for no reason.

Glad to hear success stories. Ill pick up a few thousand 210's and see how they do.do.

I'll have to side with the Buzz on this one.
I use Federal match's for everything, had great luck with them. Just not sure their needed. But I wont switch, either.

I have not been soaked for these as much as I was for CCI 300's once, $42.50 a thousand. Still wont buy from that place!

I have both CCI BR-2 and Fed GMM210M.

My opinion, CCI BR-2 provide smaller SD during test.

My targets and chronograph say there is NO difference between 210m/210, and BR2/200, only my wallet can tell the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My targets and chronograph say there is NO difference between 210m/210, and BR2/200, only my wallet can tell the difference. </div></div>

+1

I have become convinced that when buying match primers your paying for higher QC and nothing more the actual primers are the same but are more carefully inspected and scrutinized, so basically your paying for manhours not materials.

I do my load development with standard primers, then substitute with equivalent (same brand/size) match primers to see if there's a significant performance improvement. Often I can't see any, and some of the other times, it isn't big enough to justify paying the premium.

...And some applications just don't allow for second best. Like they say about The Corps; when it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight, you send the very best.

This question is easy, use the best you can find. If it's got to be a standard primer, it's got to be a standard primer. Odds are, you'll never see any difference ontarget, and that's where it counts.

Another way of putting it is, how far away from the POA does it need to be to count as a miss? Be reasonable, be realistic.

Greg

The question you should ask yourself is. Are you capable of shooting the difference.

By that I mean if you are only shooting two inch groups at a hundred yards. I believe you are wasting your money. But if your groups are under an inch at three hundred yards, then yes buy them.

The place I get my primers from locally sells 210s for $26/1k or 210Ms for $30/1k. I just buy the 210Ms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both CCI BR-2 and Fed GMM210M.

My opinion, CCI BR-2 provide smaller SD during test. </div></div>

Did you shoot this test with a group of different cases or did you load at the range using a single case.

SD can be affected by neck tension and volume variations in the case. Unless you removed ALL the other variables but the primers, how can you be SURE?

I know a lot of Bench Rest shooters that just use standard primers. Don't spend the extra at all for the "match grades" of any brand. BTW, the ones that do this usually hold a few records and have lots of trophies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question you should ask yourself is. Are you capable of shooting the difference.

By that I mean if you are only shooting two inch groups at a hundred yards. I believe you are wasting your money. But if your groups are under an inch at three hundred yards, then yes buy them. </div></div>Good answer: Practical precision rifle shooting is about paying attention to what matters and igoring what doesn't.

As others have said, I find the difference to be more psychological than practical. Never underestimate the power of suggestion on the firing line.

Boots Obermeyer is strong believer in this after he shot a perfect score with junker ammo he mistakenly carried to the line one day. He thought he had grabbed the gourmet hand weighed ammo he loaded for the match and was surprised to see that he shot a box of hastily prepared practice ammo.

"If you believe they're pretty you will shoot 'em pretty."

I seem to do better with perfectly polished brass. Go figure.

Good shooting ...

210M come off the assembly line first, after XXX number of primers, then they get labeled as 210's per someone at the factory, I called and actually got someone to explain the difference = QC control.

JS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 230grRN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have become convinced that when buying match primers your paying for higher QC and nothing more the actual primers are the same but are more carefully inspected and scrutinized, so basically your paying for manhours not materials. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As others have said, I find the difference to be more psychological than practical. Never underestimate the power of suggestion on the firing line.

Boots Obermeyer is strong believer in this after he shot a perfect score with junker ammo he mistakenly carried to the line one day. He thought he had grabbed the gourmet hand weighed ammo he loaded for the match and was surprised to see that he shot a box of hastily prepared practice ammo.

"If you believe they're pretty you will shoot 'em pretty."

I seem to do better with perfectly polished brass. Go figure.

Good shooting ...
</div></div>

This true.

We used to have a saying in the Trap Circle I used to shoot in. It's not the Arrow it's the Indian that shoots it.

One of the problems I see in the shooting world is that to many people get wrapped up in all of the technical BS and forget about the nut that squeezes the trigger.