• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on One Peice Scope Mounts on a Bolt gun

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Example...

Larue Tactical,GG&G, or A.R.M.S.

I know many here are not fans of Larue but regardless whether you think the owner is an arrogant prick or not, please post opinions good or bad.

I have seen many used on gas guns but not really seen any used on bolt guns. Just curious as to why not.

Re: Opinions on One Peice Scope Mounts on a Bolt gun

Ive never tried this myself but I have always heard nothing but good from Larue's 1pc mounts for like Aimpoints, etc., so I would give them a try first. They are top of the line from what I see.

Oh and the reason for gas guns like AR's etc., you arent really worried about how low you are getting on the gun as you are a bolt gun.

Some mounts are so high it would be uncomfortable even with a cheek riser most likely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and the reason for gas guns like AR's etc., you arent really worried about how low you are getting on the gun as you are a bolt gun.

Some mounts are so high it would be uncomfortable even with a cheek riser most likely. </div></div>. This makes sense but I'm sure it wouldn't be that high if I have a 50 objective.

I use a NF direct mount on my 700. Only dislike I have is there lowest is still to high with a 50mm obj above a m24/m40 profile barrel.

Its strong, light weight and very well made. Just wish it was lower. I am thinking of trying a DNZ on another 700, just not thrilled about its two screw top half ring mounting design. But I shall see...

I have a NF 3.5-15x50 MLR2 F1 mounted in a LaRue LT-158 QD mount (10 MOA cant) on a DTA SRS Covert bolt gun. It works great. Stable, good return to zero. What else can I tell you? It's a solid piece of equipment.

I have only now gone to the one piece mount. Up till now have been useing weaver bases with good luck and no probs. For rings have used the Millet angle-loc rings the one with the adjustment for windage use the rings not the scope. After I get to the range unless it is some huge amount then I'll take it out with the scope.

DNZ does make a 4-screw mount for the Remington.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_78&products_id=722

Note the long cap screws. I ran one of their two screw models for years on a Savage. Even with just two screws, those screws get enough threads that they are probably stronger than some other higher end rings. They still don't make the 4 screw model for the Savage yet but I called once and they were willing to make just about anything. Just needed time and money.

Mike

I have an AR height GG&G mount on my LMT .308. It lets me transition to BUIS quickly if the need arises. It is a really nice mount.

GG&G make the same mount with lower ring height for bolt guns.
    http://swfa.com/GGG-AR15M16-Accessory-P9085.aspx

But unless you needed to swap scopes, or needed to quickly break down a rifle, I don't know why you would bother.

.5 MOA shift is not worth it to me on a precision rifle.

Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DNZ does make a 4-screw mount for the Remington.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_78&products_id=722

Note the long cap screws. I ran one of their two screw models for years on a Savage. Even with just two screws, those screws get enough threads that they are probably stronger than some other higher end rings. They still don't make the 4 screw model for the Savage yet but I called once and they were willing to make just about anything. Just needed time and money.

Mike </div></div>

Good to know, thanks!

well,

anything that will improve alignment of the rings, add moa (if needed), allow a little more clearance to mount a larger objective and sort of stiffens up the setup must be a good thing.

only drawback is if the base is too high, checkweld / eye alingment may become an issue that'll have to be addressed witha stock pack or cheek piece.

I would recommend a good picatinny rail and low rings. My favorite rings are made by American Rifle Compnay. The problem with gun specific one piece mounts like the DNZ or Nightforce is you're betting that you will never want to switch scope between guns. That's probably a bad bet. I went from 30mm tube scopes to 34mm. With the picatinny rail mount and ring combos I can switch things around more cheaply. Also I love the lack of ring marks with the ARC rings.