• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Rem 700 5R Mil-Spec rifle

mike27

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2006
Arkansas, Yellville
I just bought a Rem 700 5R Mil-Spec 308(haven't recieved it yet though) and was just kind of curious what most folks on here thought about them. Its not a custom I know but I own several of those already. Please let me know what you all think of this particular Rem rifle. Thank You
mike

Re: Opinions on Rem 700 5R Mil-Spec rifle

sorry to hear you got a 5r,hope it works for you.
search in bolt action forum here,many people hate those rifles...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry to hear you got a 5r,hope it works for you.
search in bolt action forum here,many people hate those rifles... </div></div>

Is this in jest? Why would anybody "hate" a reasonably priced rifle that can shoot like this out of the box for someone new to bolt action rifles?

ae867t.jpg

That's at 100 yds on a windy day from an admitted novice to bolt actions. Probably at least 90 secs between shots.

No, I dont hate my 700 Milspec 5R, I really, really like it.

They suck, obviously.
Why do you want to justify something you already bought?
Looking to stroke your ego or seek inclusion into a club or something?
Most people would ask BEFORE they spend 1000 bucks on a factory rifle.

I figure that with 234 posts, you are well aware of what the opinion is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol..i`d say it`s the best out of the box rifle you can buy. </div></div>

Yup.

I bought a 5-R about 2 months ago. It shoots about 3/8" at 100, by far the best out of the box rifle I have ever owned.

I started with the R5 too. I do not like the palm swell on the HS stock but it shoots 1/2" when I do my part.

I had my 5R cut down to 20" and mounted it in an AICS chassis and it is a laser!! Loves FGMM 168's

The 175 SMK works best from my experience. The Murphy Precision SS rail is a perfect match for the action.

Good rifles, a little pricey for what you get, but you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol..i`d say it`s the best out of the box rifle you can buy. </div></div>
Let's qualify that and say... "For the price". There are other "out of the box" rifles that are as good and probably some even better but they're far more expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Overflow10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with the R5 too. I do not like the palm swell on the HS stock but it shoots 1/2" when I do my part. </div></div>

+1

But mine was mostly .4 MOA. I got it to .35 once but I think we all have "that one freak group we wish we could shoot every time".

Rifle1.jpg

Rifle3.jpg

Whether the limiting factor was the rifle or the shooter, I don't know yet
smile.gif
I recently started a custom build to find out.

The best out of the box rifle in .308 ever. Yeah I said Ever. .4 for five shots with 175smk. When I first shot it I thought I missed, seen one hole and then nothing else. Expecting to see the next shot on the paper..nope. so I went down range and all in a little tight group. Get the 5R and don't worry about anything else. Oh Winchester brass, cci BR2, 43.5gr Varget, 175smk seated to 2.800. I just saved you a lot of time on the reloading bench.

Where are you guys buying your 5Rs? I haven't seen them around anywhere.

Mine shoots better than I can. I've regularly gotten .5 to .7 groups out of it with Fed 168 and BH 175 at 100 and 4" steel out to about 500 is in great peril on a good day.
I cut it to 19" and added a brake just for giggles. It's also easier to clean than standard Rem barrels I've used in the past. I can probably get a slightly better shooting rifle with a custom for a few thousand more but right now I'd rather use that to buy ammo and shoot it. I'm no kind of tactical professional, I just like to shoot. I think you'll be very happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry to hear you got a 5r,hope it works for you.
search in bolt action forum here,many people hate those rifles... </div></div>

Is this in jest? Why would anybody "hate" a reasonably priced rifle that can shoot like this out of the box for someone new to bolt action rifles?

ae867t.jpg

That's at 100 yds on a windy day from an admitted novice to bolt actions. Probably at least 90 secs between shots.

No, I dont hate my 700 Milspec 5R, I really, really like it. </div></div>

I would wager that nearly ANY rifle can do a 3 shot group like that right out of the box.

If 3 shot groups are what you go by then nearly every rifle can be considered "sub MOA".

best out of the box rifle rem makes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best out of the box rifle rem makes </div></div>

I think if you take the XCR and put it in the same stock as the 5r you would have a very tough comparison.

I would like a 300WM in the 5R I have a friend with one and its a pretty sweet shooter.

out of the box means out of the box. :p XCR costs almost as much as an 5r and the stock is fer chit.

Sportmens Finest in Austin usually has some. August post some here on the Hide some.

If all of you guys are getting only .5 MOA out of these things even with SMK handloads you guys are getting screwed or doing something wrong. I'm getting .75 MOA at almost 200 yards with my stock SPS Tactical in .308 with shit 147g FMJ Winchester factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out of the box means out of the box. :p XCR costs almost as much as an 5r and the stock is fer chit. </div></div>

If Remy would realize their mistake it would be an out of the box rifle
grin.gif
Although what it lacks in stock it makes up in better trigger. I wouldn't fling a dead cat at either one of em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all of you guys are getting only .5 MOA out of these things even with SMK hand loads you guys are getting screwed or doing something wrong. I'm getting .75 MOA at almost 200 yards with my stock SPS Tactical in .308 with shit 147g FMJ Winchester factory ammo. </div></div>

6 shot group at 200 out of the XCR, my SPS tactical would shoot very similar.

168SMK
43.5 Varget
BHA brass
CCI BR2 primer
200yds.jpg

I love mine... hated the stock, but you can easily sell it for $200+ in the F/S section.

Mine sits in an AICS and is very consistent and .75 MOA or less with 5-shot groups at 100. Had one last week at .37 including the notorious 5th shot "flyer."

I shoot BHM 175 factory ammo and tried some HSM 190 gr. and it seems to like it as well. Mine opens up (still sub-MOA) with match 168s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all of you guys are getting only .5 MOA out of these things even with SMK handloads you guys are getting screwed or doing something wrong. I'm getting .75 MOA at almost 200 yards with my stock SPS Tactical in .308 with shit 147g FMJ Winchester factory ammo. </div></div>

Now go pull an SPS Tactical, unmodified from your local gun shop and do that again with the new one.

And another and do it.

Notice the lack of consistency.

Notice the relative lack of negative feedback on the 5R. It comes off the line consistently from Remington in a time you cant really say that about a number of other products.

Looks familiar... old pic of mine pre AICS:

2723160197_large.jpg

New one:
2723160208_large.jpg

2723160213_large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you guys buying your 5Rs? I haven't seen them around anywhere.</div></div>

I missed an auction on Gun Broker, but contacted the seller to see if they had any more, they did!

Thank you to everyone for your opinions on the 5R. I appreciate you all taking the time to let me know I didnt screw up. Thank you again.
mike

Quote from Mr.FDKAY "They suck, obviously.
Looking to stroke your ego or seek inclusion into a club or something?Most people would ask BEFORE they spend 1000 bucks on a factory rifle.I figure that with 234 posts, you are well aware of what the opinion is." end quote

Mr. FDKAY,
Seriously man, I asked for opinions on the rifle because I dont know much about this model, I didnt ask for a smartass remark from someone who may or may not even own one. DO you, have you?
When are we all going to start being more polite to folks. If we gun owners dont stop all the bickering and stick together, we're all going to see the day our guns are taken from us.Think about it Mr. FDKAY. Was there a good reason for a remark like yours?
mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thank you to everyone for your opinions on the 5R. I appreciate you all taking the time to let me know I didnt screw up. Thank you again.
mike

Quote from Mr.FDKAY "They suck, obviously.
Looking to stroke your ego or seek inclusion into a club or something?Most people would ask BEFORE they spend 1000 bucks on a factory rifle.I figure that with 234 posts, you are well aware of what the opinion is." end quote

Mr. FDKAY,
Seriously man, I asked for opinions on the rifle because I dont know much about this model, I didnt ask for a smartass remark from someone who may or may not even own one. DO you, have you?
When are we all going to start being more polite to folks. If we gun owners dont stop all the bickering and stick together, we're all going to see the day our guns are taken from us.Think about it Mr. FDKAY. Was there a good reason for a remark like yours?
mike
</div></div>

Yes there was a good reason for a remark like mine.
As someone who has over 230 posts, like you do, you are well aware of the search function.
You were out for some type of self-gratification.
If you didn't know anything about them, why did you buy one FIRST, then ask if it was worth a shit? Wouldn't a somewhat reasonable person think to themselves "Gee, I'm about to plunk down a thousand bucks on a factory rifle, maybe I should find out FIRST, if they are worth the money"
If you wanted to start a stroke fest, you could have just started a thread that said "Gee, I just ordered my 5R, I am pumped and can't wait".
You would have gotten similar responses from the owners of said rifles.

As a side, no I do not own one, I was being sarcastic.
I would certainly like to own one. I have a Sendero in 7mm Mag that is a fine shooter and a SPS tactical that is pretty good too.
I think you will be VERY pleased with the rifle, and are sure to have numerous groups worth bragging about, which is fine, pride in ownership, pride in a good day at the range, it's all good.

There`s alot it seems in northern Ohio...Fin Feather Fur
phone# 419-281-2557.I was their yesterday they had a 5r in .308 an occasionally the .300wm`s

The 5R is an excellent rifle. I had one and regret selling it. I may have to look for another.

Truly enjoy shooting mine. Hate the trigger, to heavy of a pull. Other than that its a great rifle out of the box.

This post was copied from my "first day at the range with the 5r" post

Well I'd first like to say that I have never shot a bolt action before today and I really enjoyed it. I went to burrough canyon and shot 100 rounds through her. The ammo was 168 gr smk, 46.3 gr of h380, lapua brass and winchester primers. It was really windy out there today and didnt really get to shoot at my targets as they and everyone elses targets kept getting knocked down by the wind anyway here the only grouping I was able to shot while my target was still standing I rushed the shots a bit because I could see the target swaying back and forth about to fall over.

100 yard 5 Shot group I think it might actually be 6 shots as I was talking to my buddy while shooting, it was his first time out shooting a gun. He caught BRD from shooting my AR all day
smile.gif

.806 - .308 = .494
target.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can do better but we'll see next time I'm out there to do some load testing with the components I actually want to use with this rifle. Did I measure my group the right way? Any tips or tricks to improve my shooting? Thanks guys!

The rifle pics
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=296098

Edit: wind was 17mph that day. waiting on my stuff to come in to go test some accuracy loads at a 100 yd indoor range in san diego