• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Rem700 sps tactical 308

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking at possibly picking this rifle up, never had a Remington but with the blind, thinking it might be a good deer rifle?
    I’ve got a tikka Ctr 308 16” but it’s gotten heavy wjth the krg chassis and enclosed forend.

I was eyeing the river American in 308, but I’ve got a chance to grab this Remington with a weaver tactical 3-15, and a dead air brake that I’ll need anyways for around $1k. It’s in a greenish hogue stock

I would wait to see what Remington is charging for their new Alpha One M700's

Last edited:
    Consider finding or waiting for a Tikka takeoff factory stock and using that for hunting.

It's two bolts, 5 mins of time for each swap.... and cheaper than a new rifle.

Consider another Tikka with a lite barrel > ANY factory Remington

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    Consider finding or waiting for a Tikka takeoff factory stock and using that for hunting.

It's two bolts, 5 mins of time for each swap.... and cheaper than a new rifle.

Consider another Tikka with a lite barrel > ANY factory Remington
    Do the t3 lites have enough barrel to thread?

Buy it right now.........
    Hang on to it while listening to how great the other stuff is....
    Take it out and shoot it.
    There is more after market stuff (new and used) floating around than the other's. Parts are "on the shelf".
    If you are not mechanical and later on have a smith do some work on it.... Even a half assed smith knows the basics of that weapon.
    We are in uncertain times right now... Drag your feet and you may be doing without.
    The hunting seasons are approaching. That one will not sit on a shelf long.
    How many more reasons do you need to go get it ?

where's the original tikka stock?

either way i'd take a tikka over a rem700 any day

pick up another tikka if you can find one

or get a lighter stock (even a takeoff) for the CTR you have (or take the enclosed forend off the bravo and go back to original)

I have one , it will do just fine as a deer rifle shooting from a blind . The stock feels a little soft . I replaced that , personal choice the original was ok but I had a better stock gathering dust .

Depends, Remington quality was very off in the later years. Not sure how much their accuracy of the barreled actions fell off but the entire gun system was crap. If you can get around the extractor (which can and do break/wear out) the very early 700's were as nice and as well put together as almost anything you can buy today. Almost. My first year .25-06 was a beautiful rifle, quite accurate for its time, but even that said, it is no match for the off the shelf, $550.00 Weatherby Vanguard that I hunt with now.

Last New Remington I purchased, in 2009, had an action that made rubbing two pieces of 40 grit sandpaper feel smooth, would not feed from the magazine and could shoot one hole groups, until you shot the second time. (actually it would put two rounds fairly close but always, in a three shot group one of the three rounds always fell well out of the group). The plastic stock had a really nice looking molded in finish, but had the stiffness of well watered newsprint. They just weren't right.

Said rifle is coming with an excellent scope as well.
    The SPS tactical has a well deserved reputation for good accuracy.
    Personally, I would upgrade the stock to a B&C M40 stock.
    Buy the rifle immediately.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
    Don't listen to all the R700 haters... Their compalints are mostly second-hand shit they saw on the internet about why Remingtons suck by some basement-dwelling troll, or some moron (the average hunter) that buys factory ammo and thinks their "ought-six is the best deer cartridge ever made", and doesn't even know what twist rates are.

Like was mentioned above, buy it. It will do everything you're wanting it to do, and more. Especially with handloads. If it doesn't, there are TONS of little tips and tricks you can do to get it to shoot good. Worst case scenario, you might end up swapping stocks, and having a gunsmith true the action and putting an aftermarket barrel on it. In the end, you're still $600+ ahead of the game, because that's what a stripped Remington 700 short action costs now. Which is stupid, but it is what it is. 🙄

If you buy it, before you ever shoot it (even if the rifle is brand new), bring it home, scrub the barrel till the patches come out clean. Then run a wet patch of RemOil through the barrel and let that soak into the bore. Then, remove it from the stock and clean everything underneath. Then swap in a TriggerTech Diamond trigger, and put it back in the stock. And if the Hogue stock has an aluminum bed block (which I think it does), torque the action screws (starting with the one nearest the barrel at 20 inch-pounds, then the one by the trigger at 20 inch-pounds, alternating back and forth, in 10 inch-pound incriminates, all the way up to 65 inch-pounds.

Then, mount your scope, level everything, torque it all down. Boresight, and go to the range and zero it.

Don't listen to all the R700 haters... Their compalints are mostly second-hand shit they saw on the internet about why Remingtons suck by some basement-dwelling troll, or some moron (the average hunter) that buys factory ammo and thinks their "ought-six is the best deer cartridge ever made", and doesn't even know what twist rates are.

Like was mentioned above, buy it. It will do everything you're wanting it to do, and more. Especially with handloads. If it doesn't, there are TONS of little tips and tricks you can do to get it to shoot good. Worst case scenario, you might end up swapping stocks, and having a gunsmith true the action and putting an aftermarket barrel on it. In the end, you're still $600+ ahead of the game, because that's what a stripped Remington 700 short action costs now. Which is stupid, but it is what it is. 🙄

If you buy it, before you ever shoot it (even if the rifle is brand new), bring it home, scrub the barrel till the patches come out clean. Then run a wet patch of RemOil through the barrel and let that soak into the bore. Then, remove it from the stock and clean everything underneath. Then swap in a TriggerTech Diamond trigger, and put it back in the stock. And if the Hogue stock has an aluminum bed block (which I think it does), torque the action screws (starting with the one nearest the barrel at 20 inch-pounds, then the one by the trigger at 20 inch-pounds, alternating back and forth, in 10 inch-pound incriminates, all the way up to 65 inch-pounds.

Then, mount your scope, level everything, torque it all down. Boresight, and go to the range and zero it.
    Didn’t these things used to be like 550-600? For the sps tactical…
    I see sportsmans has them for $829

Didn’t these things used to be like 550-600? For the sps tactical…
    I see sportsmans has them for $829
    Yep... Back when I sold guns at the gun store, the SPS didn't even exist. And 20 years ago, my employee cost (cost + 10%) was only like $650 for a Sendero. Hell, just 8-10 years ago I was buying used 80's and 90's 700 ADL rifles (long and short actions) for $250-300 out the door from local shops. I'd snatch them apart, blueprint the action, and build a custom rifle on it for less than $1,000 (not including glass). Can't do that anymore...

Not changing things is tough for me, I’d probably change the trigger and add a kydex cheek riser
    Edit:
    And maybe have it cut down to 16” to make it that much lighter and handier for a deer gun
    Cut it down to 16" and thread it 5/8x24, swap the trigger, re-torque the action screws to 65 in lbs. and call it a day.

Remember, a lot of folks don't think about this, but after you get it back from being cut down, clean the hell out of the barrel before shooting it. Small micro chunks of metal and cutting oil can still be clinging in there after they cut and thread it.

Reactions: pineoak
    Cut it down to 16" and thread it 5/8x24, swap the trigger, re-torque the action screws to 65 in lbs. and call it a day.

Remember, a lot of folks don't think about this, but after you get it back from being cut down, clean the hell out of the barrel before shooting it. Small micro chunks of metal and cutting oil can still be clinging in there after they cut and thread it.
    Here it is. Is $1000 a good deal or should I be aiming at 800?
    I had that weaver years ago and from what I remember, it’s decent but not on par with modern glass such as the DMR3’s I have on my other rifles
    EBDD9FF3-3D65-410D-9B7A-89E98DC50124.jpeg

I recently purchased a Remington 700 tac-sd in 308 with a 20 inch barrel . before I ever fired a shot I ditched the Tupperware stock , added a timney elite hunter trigger and dropped it in a bell and Carlson M40-A1 stock . I installed my bushel DMR 2 optic . It will shoot crap Winchester ball ammo 1.25 moa and 168 grain hornady amax at .7 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yds . I like the 20 inch threaded barrel since I am going to run it with my can .
    tempImageRptLjb.jpg

Reactions: fnbrowning
    That Weaver is an excellent scope, I have one.
    It's Japanese glass and if I'm not mistaken the whole scope was made by LOW in Japan.
    No, it is not a Tangent Theta, but then again, you're not paying for that.
    That Hogue stock isn't bad, but it isn't necessarily good either....and it's heavy for what it is.
    If you plan on hunting with it, I would find a H&S or B&C carbon/kevlar sporter stock, drop in a Jewell trigger, and call it done.
    Sure you can get some valve grinding compound and lap the lugs....but that's about the only other thing I'd do to it.

I had that weaver years ago and from what I remember, it’s decent but not on par with modern glass such as the DMR3’s I have on my other rifles View attachment 7942598
    I have a 3x15 weaver tactical on my 224 valkyrie and it is an excellent optic . While it may be dated the glass is good and it tracks well .

I had that weaver years ago and from what I remember, it’s decent but not on par with modern glass such as the DMR3’s I have on my other rifles View attachment 7942598
    Well... Scope's not really worth much, the rings and base look cheap, $100 Harris bipod, and $100 DA KeyMo, stock chap and sling aren't much expense... I'd offer him $800, maybe $850 cash money for the setup.

But honestly, I'm a bit of a dick, I'd tell him to take all that shit off of it, because it's going in the garbage when I get home, except the KeyMo (I run KeyMo on most of my rifles), and offer him $500. 😂 I have my own style and preferred parts list, and those aren't them. So for me, the only thing worth anything in the picture is the rifle and muzzle brake.

Rem700 SPS will get the job done. Those hogue stocks are terrible however. I would try and find a 5R stainless with H&S stock if you can. I've had many of them (5R and PSS) and they have all been half MOA or better with match ammo. Also, dump factory trigger if equipped, and drop in a Timney. For example; Here is a Gen2 308 I got here on the Hide. I put in a chassis, & PA brake. I still have the H&S with DBM if I ever need to have a lighter setup.

Attachments

• 20220528_195431.jpg
      20220528_195431.jpg
      939.4 KB · Views: 44
    • 20220528_194831.jpg
      20220528_194831.jpg
      579.7 KB · Views: 39
    Sounds expensive for that setup honestly...if you could snag it for $700-$800....maybe. s
    SPS were $400-$600 not too long ago and I don't value the rest of that crap at $500...

But, if you can get it for $700-$800...and don't plan on doing much more than adding a new trigger than sure...

But if you plan on a new stock, rebarreling, trueing, etc.... you're better off getting an Origin from the get go and putting a barrel on it.... will be cheaper in the long run and 100x better

Reactions: spife7980
    Sounds expensive for that setup honestly...if you could snag it for $700-$800....maybe. s
    SPS were $400-$600 not too long ago and I don't value the rest of that crap at $500...

But, if you can get it for $700-$800...and don't plan on doing much more than adding a new trigger than sure...

But if you plan on a new stock, rebarreling, trueing, etc.... you're better off getting an Origin from the get go and putting a barrel on it.... will be cheaper in the long run and 100x better
    I was going to offer 800 and him keep the brake. I run Xeno anyways. Just scored some Grendel brass last night after waiting a good while to find some….. now the wheels are turning on a 16” Ruger ranch grendel and I may pass on the Remington