• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on S&B 1.5-6x42 Zenith as hunting scope

merlinnnn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Ca
What is your opinion of the S&B 1.5-6x42 as a general propose hunting scope on a M14 style rifle??? I am torn on the idea.. owning a 3-12x50 PM11 I know the quality is there. But I am just not sure about it on the M14.. What do you think??

merlinn

Re: Opinions on S&B 1.5-6x42 Zenith as hunting scope

It all depends on what type of hunting you do. I have one on order with a Flash Dot 7 reticle, it will be mounted on a Tikka T3 Battue – for bush hunting of pigs at ranges from 0 – 100 meters.

Other options are:

Victory Varipoint 1.5-6x42T

Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42

Kahles "C" 1.5-6x42

Review of Zenith 1.5-6x42 from Optics Talk website:

SB1.5-6x42mmFlashDot_19.jpg

FD7 @ 1.5X

SB1.5-6x42mmFlashDot_18.jpg

FD7 @ 6X

Thanks for the suggestions, your application and mine are exactly the same!!

merlinn

what about a 1-4 nightforce? i think they are cheaper while not a S&B *not sure about the zenith line* they are great optics

Just looked at Nightforce online... seems like a very viable option. I like the 1-4...

merlinn

How are you guys still liking this scope. I'm looking at one.

I had a NF 2.5-10x32 & didn't care for the glass or reticle illumination. It wasn't in the same league as the s&b.

Does the dot increase in size as you turn the power up?

What's a good price not list for a new one of these? 1700?

Any form of lowlight work and you will love it, have had four different scopes,

Ziess, Swaro and 2xS&B in that size, loved them all, sold them only to get a 2,5-10x42 Ziess Variopoint and 2 1,1-4x24 S&B,

more suited to my current needs however I still feel a tug at my heartstrings when doing it.

@6x one can shoot out to 200 meters and still pic the shots.

Best regards Chris

I have been using the S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 for the past 3 yrs - its an awesome hunting scope!! It will handle any type of hunt you go on. Its has great glass and is a tough son-of-a-bitch!!

You won't go wrong!!

After thinking & researching pricing, I can get a zeiss varipoint cheaper. These are availanle with FFP or RFP as well.