• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Sightron S3 Scopes

propulsionclimbing

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2006
Flagstaff. AZ
I have heard from a few sources that these are a pretty good mid-range scope. I have heard the glass is quite good and they track very reliably. Any one have experience with these?

Re: Opinions on Sightron S3 Scopes

Yes the S3 series sightrons are very good scopes especially for the money. I have 2. And they track perfectly with really good glass.

Good scope. My favorite "Bargain Scope". Made in Japan. Good Warranty. Known for it's tracking and good glass. Over 100 minutes of elevation and windage adjustment. Reocil rated for 50cal. 1/4minute clicks. Compared them side to side, and IMHO the SIII 3.5-10X44 mildot is just as good as the Leupy Mark4 3.5-10X40 at 1/2 the price. Good deals can be found on them.

The new Sightron SIII is probably the biggest bargain that's out there at the present time.

My high-end choices include USO, Premier, S&B, IOR, and Nightforce. The SIII's come in just below them at a fraction of the price. I don't even consider Leupold anymore unless it's a great deal on a used one that's several years old but in original condition.

I have been shooting a SIII 8-32X56 for a couple of months now. I really like the scope. I would agree with others that it is probably one of the better bargins on the market right now. Before purchasing, I looked for negative information out there about the SIII line and could not find any to really speak of. The turret adjustments are nice and solid and the glass is clear. The only complaint that I can even begin to come up with is that the dot for the reticle is 1/4 MOA. For some this is a bit large. I actually like it. If you want a completely different reticle, you can send it to a fellow in New Mexico by the name of Bill Ackerman and he will change out the reticle for about $100 last time I spoke with him. Sightron will also completely warranty the scope after he does any work with it. There is plenty of internal adjustment. They state 75 MOA of elevation, but mine actually has 79 MOA. If I had to do it again, I would buy the scope again.

I have an SIII 6-24X50 MD that is mounted in my Savage and for the price the scope is awesome. I used it last Friday to shoot from 100 - 1000 yards and the glass is just fantastic. I also own a 4.5-14 MK4 and I do have to give the edge to SIII when it comes to glass. Both scopes did not have any problems going back to zero after dialing the turrets up and down for different ranges and the come ups and downs were repeatable.

The only thing that I dont like is the scope being on SFP that on the 6-24 the dots are freakin huge so holdovers for either elevation or windage is pretty hard to do since the whole dot would cover the steel plates (I'm pretty sure this is not the case with their 3-10 SIII's). Give this scope a FFP, mil/mil reticle and turrets and half mil marks and even if they raise the price by $500.00 I would still definitely buy one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a SIII 8-32X56 for a couple of months now. I really like the scope. I would agree with others that it is probably one of the better bargins on the market right now. Before purchasing, I looked for negative information out there about the SIII line and could not find any to really speak of. The turret adjustments are nice and solid and the glass is clear. The only complaint that I can even begin to come up with is that the dot for the reticle is 1/4 MOA. For some this is a bit large. I actually like it. If you want a completely different reticle, you can send it to a fellow in New Mexico by the name of Bill Ackerman and he will change out the reticle for about $100 last time I spoke with him. Sightron will also completely warranty the scope after he does any work with it. There is plenty of internal adjustment. They state 75 MOA of elevation, but mine actually has 79 MOA. If I had to do it again, I would buy the scope again. </div></div>
Anybody have a link for bill ackerman?Also what rectile choices does he have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only thing that I dont like is the scope being on SFP that on the 6-24 the dots are freakin huge so holdovers for either elevation or windage is pretty hard to do since the whole dot would cover the steel plates (I'm pretty sure this is not the case with their 3-10 SIII's). Give this scope a FFP, mil/mil reticle and turrets and half mil marks and even if they raise the price by $500.00 I would still definitely buy one!</div></div>

I shot squirrels all weekend using several scopes, a Sightron SI 4x16 and a SIII 3.5x10. Shooting them side by side with a falcon and nightforce it was rather interesting. Tracking on all was right on the money and I would put the optic quality of the SIII on par with the nightforce. I had an easier time seeing squirrels in the dry grass with the Sightron at 10x than the falcon at 14x. I love my falcon for the features and value but I really wish Sightron would drop a FFP with mil/mil.

I might chime in here from the peanut gallery as I am a member of a group of friends/hunters and only two of us were service members, neither w/ tactical/long range experience. After MUCH research here and on 6mmBr & other forums, I bought a SIII 6x24x50 Dot. We had our annual shooting/drinking/belching fest past weekend. (Drinking AFTER shooting..LOL). In camp were 6 Loopy VariX-III, one Kahles, one Conquest Z, and my Sightron. Everyone agreed the Kahles was the brightest w/ the SIII & Conquest VERY close 2nd & 3rd. Loopys didn't make the grade at all. ( I might mention I got a chance to SxS the SIII w/ a NF at the range last week and the NF is brighter,clearer hands down).We had a 15x15 plate at 800 yds. that was fkking "TINY", but w/the dot on the SIII at 24x, I was able to easily see the one inch orange dot painted in the middle of the target and aim dead on it. The rest of the bunch were holding over...a lot! Guy w/ the Zeiss had a 800 yd. stadia and was able to hold dead on as well. I was dead on at 100 and the ups were really close to the published dope I was using...Finally found the exact number after 7 sighters....remember, this is the first time in my life I've ever shot at anything past 463 yds...and rang it twice in a row. Clicked down to the 400 yd. milk jugs and back up to the 800 yd. gong like no tomorrow! EZPezee. The side focus brought the target perfectly in focus and made it look like it was right in front of me! Wind was at 9 about 10-15 mph, so a few windage clicks fixed that. I LOVE THIS SCOPE!
Milk jugs at 400 yds. were easy. I hear they might come out w/ a 10x60x60 later this year and I'm saving my shekels for the varmit rig. If you have the $$, a lot of experience at LR shooting and depth of knowledge about MOA/MIL/ranging etc.etc. that a bunch of these guys here have, and can use the added features some of the high end scopes have, then go for it, money talks. But, if you couldn't get out of town if it cost .25cents to go around the world like me....this bud's for you! I recommend SIII highly.

Cannot go wrong with the Sightron. If you do not have the exttra $800 to $1500 to buy the elite scopes such as the Nightforce, U.S. Optics, or the Schmidt and Bender, this is the scope you want to use next to the big boys, the rest is up to you.

and when they break, they just give you a new one...

I have one sightron on my a hunting rifle. It has never broke, has hardly been used.

I've had a 8-32x56 S3 for a couple of months and fired approximately 400 rounds with it. I ordered it with the fine crosshair (which is ok for 1000yd F-Class), with the intention of changing it to a custom reticle. The S3's are <span style="font-weight: bold">etched glass</span> and I'm not sure they can be changed as easily as older styles, at least not by the old school guys. I was told today that new crosshairs/reticles were being designed but don't expect anything until after the first of the year. I would love a mil-dot w/fine crosshair center.....really fine.
My particular scope has been great. I've compared it side by side with a NF 8-32x56. Aside from the reticle I couldn't tell any difference in clarity looking at targets. I do like the turrets on the NF better. My turrets are way too easy to turn, with the coves off it is really easy to accidentally move them a click or two. I spoke with the Rep and he said the tension should be able to be tightened up. Overall I like the scope and would buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hear they might come out w/ a 10x60x60 later this year and I'm saving my shekels for the varmit rig. I recommend SIII highly. </div></div>

Nice review! The 10-50x60 is a reality right now and in stock.

Just arrived, 6-24x50, 8-32x56, and 3.5-10x44 SIII mildots!

These are great "no frills" scopes with super glass and reticle travel.

Scott

I have had mine for years and it is one of the best scopes for the money. Glass is on par with nightforce. Buy one you will like it.

I really like my s3. I Shoot mine om a 308 to 1000 yards no problem. The knobs and features not as good as nightforce but for money great deal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anybody have a link for bill ackerman?Also what rectile choices does he have. </div></div>

Optical Services Company; Bill Ackerman, 5489 Santa Teresita Drive, PO Box 1174, Santa Teresa, NM 88008. Telephone (505) 589-3833. Scope modification and repair.

Had an S3 8-32x56 and still own a 6-24x50. Glass quality is so subjective, but I would say it edged out my Mark 4s by a little. Never had any problem with repeatability/tracking with either of my S3's. Only gripe is a Mil reticle with MOA adjustments.

Love my SIII 6-24x50 Mil-dot so much I bought another one. The 6-24s are not etched, but the 8-32s are. I am thinking the 10-50s are etch too, but don't know for sure. Great glass and clicker are spot on.

I've been shooting the 8-32 S-III and am fairly pleased with it. A couple of weeks ago I went up to the hills to do some target practice on a nice overcast day. I had my Caldwell Tip top grid targets (White) and could see 7mm bullet holes at 950 and 1000 on the lighter portions of the target. The conditions were optimum for viewing i.e. no mirage and no blinding light on target. I think that says something about the quality of optics.

Two NF shooters both agreed the optics on my 8-32 are on par if not brighter than their scopes (12-42BR when turned down to comparable power settings), and have had numerous positive comments from other long range shooters on the glass over the past year.

Yes the turrent clicks may be a bit light for some, especially someone used to externally exposed turrents which tend to be stiffer e.g. NF. To me they are fine, infact another shooter brought up a good point at the last match I shot in. He mentioned that a lighter turrent could be beneficial in F-Class because you can move your reticle to match the spotter without disturbing the gun.

I've changed out the reticle from 1/4" dot to Fine CH. I like the fine cross hair but cannot use it in low light at all, would not be good for big game. Can't wait to see how the PST is going to stack up optically with the Sightron.

How would you rate the Super Sniper 10x against the SIII 10x

I need to choose one or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muggs13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you rate the Super Sniper 10x against the SIII 10x

I need to choose one or the other. </div></div>

S3 will have better glass other than that you will get the same use out of either one. Personally I would get the SS10X 300$ or wait for a Viper PST if they turn out to be great you will be kicking yourself for spending that money.

Great. I was wondering it would be worth the extra 300.00.

The knobs turned way too easy on the last SIII 6-24LRMD I purchased (have four of 'em now), so I called Sightron's service dept. They acknowledged that they'd had a few 8-32s slip by with the same problem, but this was the first they'd heard of the problem on a 6-24. They had the required parts in house to fix it, and asked that I send the scope back. I did, they fixed it, and it's now set up in TPS TSR rings on a sloped EGW base on a new M700 action with a 24" Krieger in 6.5x47Lapua. Just finished inletting BO bottom metal into the B&C stock I'm using, and will be working on finishing the inletting & bedding of the bbl'd action while I'm waiting on the bolt to come back from Gre'Tan.

I really like the optical quality, tracking, and repeatability of my SIIIs - (2)6-24x50LRDs; (2)6-24x50LRMDs; (1)8-32x56LRD. I've also got a 4.5-14x44 Big Sky MD on a 280AI hunting rifle that's extremely clear & sharp.

I have the 6-24 SIII MD. I really love the optics. I did a box test with my .308 and it was spot on. Also, at 562 yards I could easily see my hits at about 16x. I am really happy with the scope and glad I did not get a leupy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muggs13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great. I was wondering it would be worth the extra 300.00. </div></div>

Well, is better glass worth it to you? If you want a straight 10X for 5-600 it's certainly worth a look. Other ones to consider would be the super sniper HD and valdada 10X. Personally I think the Valdada has the best glass out of all of those, as well as the best reticle.

However like I said wait for the PST's, they will be here eventually and more than likely will be worth the wait. If they stink (which I don't think they will) you can always buy something else, it's not like the current choices are going away.

just my 2 cents.

Only problems I have with my SIII 6-24 is the knobs turn way too easily and the mildot reticle is a joke.I was going to sell it because of the reticle but I think I'll call Ackerman instead and address the knob issue with Sightron.

On the positive side,this scope is awesome and you wont find better glass anywhere in this price range and magnification.Don't know if it is me,but it seems the eye relief does not change from 6x to 24x,try that with a Loopy.

Just spoke with Ackerman,he can not change the reticle on the SIII as it is an etched reticle on ALL SIII models.BTW,the new ph # is (575)589-3833.Prefix is changed.