• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Opinions on spotting scope

Unless its a typo, you want to stay at 100.00 or less for a spotting scope? If that is the case, don't even waste the money as a 100 dollar scope would be worthless. A cheap scope at 600 yards might be able to see the general shape of the target but you won't see any holes in it. JMO

Good advice given so far.
After trying a handful of cheap spotters like the ones you have listed, the least expensive spotting scope I could recommend is the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60x80 which you can find for $450 or so new. In most conditions I could see 6.5mm holes in paper at 400 yards but not much beyond. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zeiss Diascope 85 FL 20-75x85 and it's fantastic, but conditions become the limiting factor... no matter how good your optics are, mirage is the enemy.

a Konus 20-60x80 will be your best bet. at around $275 or so it works extremely well and won't break the bank. you can see holes on shoot n C targets out to 600. Stay away from Barska

Good advice given so far.
I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zeiss Diascope 85 FL 20-75x85 and it's fantastic, but conditions become the limiting factor... no matter how good your optics are, mirage is the enemy.
That thing looks very different from other spotting scopes, does the shape matter that much?
Zeiss Victory Diascope Vario Spotting Scope Eyepiece 15-56x (on 65mm)

Oh looks like you need to buy a component to make it work right.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/34...85mm-straight-body-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Holy crap dude. You paid like 3k for that sucker. I probably should have said shit, and fucker.

Last edited:
That thing looks very different from other spotting scopes, does the shape matter that much?

Zeiss Victory FL Diascope Spotting Scope 85mm Straight Body Black

Holy crap dude. You paid like 3k for that sucker. I probably should have said shit, and fucker.

Zeiss/Hensoldt is arguably the best glass out there. Im saving my pennys now for a Diascope 85. The light transmission and clarity are unreal. Its hard to swallow the cost but when I seen .17cal bullet holes in paper, at dusk, at 400 yards plain as day. I was sold

Zeiss Victory FL Diascope Spotting Scope 85mm Straight Body Black

Fortunately I did not.
I ended up with a "refurb" from Zeiss for $2150 through a SH vendor.
Lifetime warranty just like a new one.
As you may know, refurbs are often brand new products that are returned and can't be sold as new.
Mine sure looks and functions as new.
Eagle Optics sold a bunch of these for the same price sometime in the past, so they do come up.

CameraLand has demos in stock for a decent discount. Get the new eyepiece, it's a significant upgrade from the old one.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissdiascope85black

Last edited:
if...you ever get an chance to peek a meopta......you will be impressed, the glass is superb and on par with much of the European glass......because it is, and

all the cabelas high end spotters are made for cabelas by meopta with the "legendary warranty".......you will be paying for the quality as everyone else, but the warranty is the value should you need it.

before you break the piggy bank, check them out.

oh and savvy the free Meopix,,,,,,a device to hang you I-phone off the ocular and take pics........just saying

Last edited:
I have a $120 Bass Pro brand and it is all I can do to see a facsimile of bullet holes at 200 at 36X...at 100 yards, it is not bad. Do your self a favor and spend the extra money on a quality scope.

I have my eye on a USOptics spotting scope with a reticle to match my USO rifle scopes

Not mentioned yet, you might want to get a scope with an angular eyepiece. This will allow use of the scope without breaking from prone position when the scope has been properly adjusted on a Freeland type stand. With such a scope, work in progress can be evaluated shot to shot and mirage can be easily observed from position between shots. BTW, spotting bullet holes is not the main objective of the spotting scope, the primary purpose is evaluation of wind velocity and direction. For general practice at SR an economy scope will easily allow for bullet hole observation; and, at LR, in a competition context, keep in mind the spotting scope only needs to resolve the position of spotting discs and value markers, not bullet holes. No doubt, a good scope is essential, KOWA makes some scopes which appear to be really good values, a lot of performance features for the money. I like their 27 power extended eye relief eyepiece for most of my shooting from SR to LR.

Last edited:
If you want a good spotting scope for less than 100.00 I suggest Nike Running Shoes because your going to be running down to pits a bunch. nothing in price range is worth having

There is a semi descent entry level spotting scope made by redfield it is in the $250 range it will get you a good start, it is close on par with my Vortex nomad spotting scope.

Check out the Theron Saker 15-45x60 spotter. Best low end spotter period for around $300 . Their ED glass beats most scopes in the $400-$600 range.

Just said ouch and purchased a USO Field Observation Scope w/ Horus 36 (to go with my 4 USO Scopes....77bronc its worth the wait), indestructible USO build with amazingly easy ability to call shot corrections......stay w/ cheap, save your money and say ouch once...you'll never regret it.

Every now and then you can find 20-60x100mm Konus for under $300.
Also there was a Nikon #8309 that popped up for under $300 as well.
I have both and very happy.
Anything cheaper - is a waste of money.

Sometimes I wonder if I need better spotting scopes - but every time I can't resolve bullet holes @ 300y due to mirage, even the best optics can't either ... mirage always wins!

BTW, spotting bullet holes is not the main objective of the spotting scope, the primary purpose is evaluation of wind velocity and direction.

This is exactly what I am looking for...So, will something like a Vortex Nomad work? I am just getting started in LR shooting and will be shooting from 200 yards to 1000 yards. Ground hog shoots to 500 yards, and sillouettes from 850 yards to 1000 yards.

My "buy once, cry once" is $400-$500, with one in college this year and another to follow in two years I have 6-8 years before I could justify/afford $1000-$2500 for a spotting scope.

My budget spotter is a Celestron Ultima 100. It does the job perfectly, and while a bit more than you want to spend can be found around $200-$250. Its my vote for something in the budget catagory.

I had a Konus 20-60x80mm before I upgraded to a Kowa. My opinion is that Konus spotters are a great value for the price. Someone else had said Konus is 80% of a Kowa at 20% the price.