• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Steiner T5xi 3-15x…

madangler1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Hi all,

I wanted some opinions on this scope: https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-3-15x50

I have a P4xi 1-4, and love it. I’ve read mixed reviews on certain Steiner models, namely QC issues. Only complaint I’ve seen about the 3-15 Steiner was the glass quality. The M model is now discontinued, and that particular model seems to be regarded as a good one. What are other options?

I used to own a Nightforce F2 4-16x50, and now regret selling it. Other options on my mind are the Minox 3–15 ZP5 or even a S&B 3-12x50. I really don’t want to spend Tangent Theta money or S&B Ultra Bright price.

This scope is for a SPR 18” in 5.56. I want something with a large objective and large eyebox. Max distances I shoot with this rifle would be < 600 yards (mostly 100-200 yards). I really don’t need anything > 14-15x magnification. I own a Kahles 3-18 now, but it’s hard to get behind on high magnification (smaller eye box). Hence, I rather avoid an ultra short design for now.

Thanks

I love mine. I have 3 and 2 Burris XTRII’s. All have SCR reticle (exact same in both brands). Turrets on Steiner are unique and effective. All mine are 3-15 magnification and I have another XTRII in mil dot reticle and 2-10 magnification.

I haven't had issues with glass quality but admittedly Im not a glass snob. If it works, it works. I run mine out to 600 often. Glass performs as well or better than my NF 5-25 ATACR.

I just purchased an Element Nexus. Cant wait to try it out.

Ran the Element Helix on my 17 HMR and was very impresssed with the quality. I could end up with 3 Element Nexus optics if the quality and performance translates up from the Heix to the Nexus.

I got one over the summer from @gr8fuldoug at Camera Land and I just got to use it on the two rifles I built last week. The glass is better than my friends NX8 2.5-20x50 Nightforce with the XT rectal and it has better illumination. The eye box is pretty forgiving and the territs have a very positive click to them.

My buddy that is a Nightforce snob was impressed to the point that he is thinking of getting oner for his Christian Arms MPR. Once I get everything paid off on the CC, I am going to order the T5Xi 5-25x56 for my 300 WM I just built, and use the 3-15x50 for the 308 I just built.

I've had mine for a few years. Initially I sent mine back due to excessive chromatic aberration, the purple or yellow fringing along the light/dark edges of the image. CS took care of it and exchanged it quickly. No issues since.

Well I guess that is all positive. They list a 33 ft waterproof rating so I guess it is durable. It is only $2k.

Any more comments? Thanks for the replies

I really liked my Steiners, but ended up moving them because I didn’t love the reticle. The glass was better than I expected, and neither of mine had the excessive CA that some people experience. I would probably buy a couple more if they offered them with an illuminated SCR2 reticle.

If you aren’t in a rush and don’t mind buying used, you can find them for well under 2k. I think there are better options available at that price point.

I have had a 3-15 plus a couple of the 5-25’s since they were released. All have been dead reliable and track within my ability to test on my tracking jig. The 3-15 was a very early model and had to go back for the turret fix, but it came back perfect. Newer releases have the fix incorporated.

I see the CA, but it doesn’t phase me a bit. I’m not super picky about glass compared to some. It’s not as good as my NF ATACRs, Schmidt, or Minox, but it’s not bad by my standards. The SCR was my favorite reticle for years until I got a Minox which I like better.

I think they’re a great value. I sold one of the 5-25 several months ago and regret it now.

They’re not as sexy as some of my other scopes, but darn if they don’t work.

If you have some extra money, I recommend waiting and trying to get a used M series steiner scope like the 2.9-20x50. The difference is very noticeable.

I love my T5xi 3-15. Glass is decent. Reticle is usable. Scope seems robust.
What really impresses me is the eye box and the perceived eye relief though. Steiner beats out most of their competition in that category.
I find it useably comparable to my P4xi 4-16 which I've had for a while now and like for the same reasons.
Eventually I will get rid of it, but only for a ZCO, TT, or S&B.

Cheers

Reactions: 308pirate
Completely useable scope, great turrets, very reliable. Glass is good but not great. The CA issues are only visible with very bright backgrounds.

Reactions: 308pirate