• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes opinions on sub $500 scopes

spdfour

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2013
new to forum considering scope for paper punching 100-600 yards on savage 10 fcp-k 223 considering weaver classic v 4x16 w/223 reticle weaver tactcial grand slam 2.5x10 Nikon m223 3x12 and 4x16w 600 reticles swfa 12x maybe vortex viper dont want big 50mm obj lens. I like the nikon spot on app for iphone concerned about weaver being passed around like a cheap bottle of wine have 2 older bushnell elites and glass is great seems like maybe they are overpriced now thanks

Buy once cry once check out the used optics section here on the Hide you'd be better off with a used piece of decent glass. 10-14 power on the high end imho is fine 600 yards and in. You might need $800 though. All my cheap assed attempts to get by in rifle accuracy have never paid off, quite the contrary. If your serious save your loot and get what works. Good luck Welcome to the place where guys won't B.S ya.

Leupold 3.5-10 Mark IV 40 mm sounds about right for ya or something similar.

Look at the Sightron II scopes. Swfa has them, there is a 4x16x42 for $435 with a mildot reticle and a 6x24 x42 with mildot for $488. Keeps you under $500 and the smaller objective. They are good scopes & glass for the money.

If you can find a Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 for sale (used; they were a MidwayUSA exclusive and aren't being sold right now), they're excellent at $500 new. Whatever you decide to go with, try to stay with matching turrets and reticle (mil/mil or MOA/MOA). Side focus is also a big plus, although rear focus (ie. SWFA fixed power scopes) is not bad, either.

As stated, at your price point, go used and get the best glass with matching turret/reticle that you can find.
Skip

No matter what you go with try to get the best glass from a reputable company (i/e Vortex, Leupold. Ziess etc). $500 and sub 500 try to focus on image quality over features. As an example the Leupold VX3 or Vortex HS have very decent glass and coating for the price. They do not have all the wizbang features that a POS Millett has, but your target should be very clear and visible. If something goes wrong with the scope, you just call and they will take care of you.

If you decide to move up on glass, then you can get all the features and glass quality you want. Both of the scopes I suggested are IMHO great placeholder scopes. I have bought and sold a few and they retained a great deal of their value.

No truer words have been spoken than buy once cry once and you have two options, cheap and reliable pick one. You get what you pay for and I would recommend looking for the one you want then save the money for it. When you buy cheap you get cheap in this hobby. There are plenty of scopes with the smaller end objective that would suit your needs and not be overkill or break the bank.

Vortex optics all the way. Even their low end scopes are good quality. Their customer service and warranty are second to none. I agree with everyone above, buy once. Save up and get the best scope you can. The midway special vortex viper hs is an unbelievable scope for the $. If you can get one.

A few months ago I went through the same question, and settled on a Weaver 4-20X50 Super Slam Euro with 30mm tube from Natchez for $519; it is first focal plane with fine duplex. This is a great scope, better than my Vortex Viper and Bushnell 4200 Elite. Solid, well built, and very sharp glass; I'm very pleased with the selection and would do it again.

weaver GS 3-10 tactical from midway is supposed to be an ok scope. $300 right now, but it has a 1" tube.

weaver GS 3-10 tactical from midway is supposed to be an ok scope. $300 right now, but it has a 1" tube.

I have this scope and it is an exceptionally good scope for the money. My only criticism would be that it does not have side focus. This might not be a big deal for you if you never use it under 100 yards. I currently have this scope on a .22 trainer and shoot under 100 yards at times. I just dial down the power, but side focus in this scenario would be nice.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA sounds like your ticket. I'm currently using one on one of my rifles, and have no complaints. The fact that you can drop it off a mountain, and Vortex will replace it only adds bonus points to the quality of the optic. If you do go this route, use some decent rings torqued to 15 in lbs, and you will be satisfied. I'd reccomend the Burris Xtreme tactical, for quality rings at a decent price (~60).

Thanks one and all for the advice looks like I'll mount up the old bushnell elite 3x9 from my 338 that dosen't get used often and save up for the swfa ss3x15 that I really want

Swiss Conquests have great glass in that range. I just sold a used 3.5X10 for under $400. Good coatings and good clarity. Bruce

i was gonna try the weaver GS tac on an 18" AR for ground hogs. i have a couple of the classic scopes on lever guns, and they're pretty tough.

zeiss conquest