• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on the Desert Tactical Arms SRS

VanSmack

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
I'm looking at the Desert Tactical Arms SRS. A friend of mine turned me onto it but I've never seen or had the chance to shoot one. I love what I see on the website in that they have made it very compact and light weight without sacrificing accuracy. At least they claim. I'd love to hear opinions of anyone who owns or has any experience with one before I commit. I'd also like to know about caliber conversions, what is the change in POI and how easy is it to switch.

Re: Opinions on the Desert Tactical Arms SRS

There's a youtube video showing a guy at the Shot Show trading out the barrels in just over a minute. I know of at least 2 previous threads that discussed the rifle to death. Tons of good information there.

My friend said he'd got to play with one at a range and that while it is a good system, he expected better accuracy out of a $4k rifle. Still, many custom rifles shoot far better than their owners can drive them. Use this search engine for stuff on the hide and you should find all the info you're looking for.

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

I have the chassis and the 308 conversion. Awaiting 338 conversion and optics mount, hopefully this week. Taking the barrel out and putting it back is simple. My 7 year old daughter could do it with about 10 minutes worth of instruction. Havent gotten to shoot it yet. Hoping it lives up to the 1/2 moa guarantee, but to be honest 1 MOA would suffice. Love the compactness. Seems to be a quality build.

hey hydro we need some pictures of that DTA SRS

I had an interesting discussion with a rifle smith. The question he brought up is the scope mounted to the action or to the rail? In looking at the photos from their website it would appear that the optics would be mounted to the action. The inherent concern is that if the optic is mounted to the rail it would seem to be much more difficult to get and keep a solid zero on the rifle.

I welcome anybody’s insights or observations.

from all the pictures on DTAs website it appears that the optics are indeed mounted on the action. kinda like a AR rig where the front ring is just a wee bit back from the railed forend. Hope this helps

The scope mount is mounted to the action. With practice you can change the barrel out in around 35 - 40 seconds. Check out the caliber change that we did on Ultimate Weapons, we did it slow with verbal instructions and it was still completed in 60 seconds.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yROZmh88CPQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yROZmh88CPQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I've been following it as well. Very neat concept and there are definitely some benefits to the bullpup design from a length and balancing perspective. That said, the earlier versions had some issues but DTA seems to be working through those and improving the product along the way.

I'm still sitting on the sidelines but there is a lot of promise here so I'll be staying tuned.

What earlier versions have issues? I own two of them under 1100 serial number which are the first 100 sent out. The internet ninjas keep talking about things they know nothing about. If you don't own one..what do you know about them? That's like saying, "I walked past a guy in the men's room that has it on good authority that SRSs has problems in their earlier versions". It would make about as much sense".

Deadly, will try and snap some pictures this evening. Been busy. Hoping to get it to the range this weekend. My 338 conversion and optics mount and the rest of the gear is shipping today. Should be in business by Friday.

Cant wait.

Guys,
The small percentage of issues that we have seen have been simple things that fall under the general warranty coverage. The only real change is in the magazines, the first run was spot welded and the new mags are full length welded, the old mags sold for $50 - $65 and the new ones sell for $100, both batches feed very well.

If we do make any modifications to our rifles design it will be done in a way that the early rifles can easily be modified too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
The small percentage of issues that we have seen have been simple things that fall under the general warranty coverage. The only real change is in the magazines, the first run was spot welded and the new mags are full length welded, the old mags sold for $50 - $65 and the new ones sell for $100, both batches feed very well.

If we do make any modifications to our rifles design it will be done in a way that the early rifles can easily be modified too. </div></div>

That is very reassuring to hear. Part of the reason I have always been concerned about being an early adopter.

Hi SR90 ,

Is the 300WM version avaialble yet ?

Later Chris

Looking at the photos, it seems that the only way the scope could be mounted to the action is if it sleeves the barrel for 6 inches or so. Is it mounted to the stock's rail then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What earlier versions have issues? I own two of them under 1100 serial number which are the first 100 sent out. The internet ninjas keep talking about things they know nothing about. If you don't own one..what do you know about them? That's like saying, "I walked past a guy in the men's room that has it on good authority that SRSs has problems in their earlier versions". It would make about as much sense". </div></div>

First off I hope you ain't calling me no internet ninja...... Since you don't know me I'll let it pass but best to not go running your mouth off with that kind of talk.

Secondly, a good friend of mine that received one from the first lot let me inspect his prior to considering placing an order myself. Upon inspection, the front of the picatinny rail had a small stress crack at the 12 o'clock position and the left side QD mount also exhibited a small crack in the aluminum surrounding the steel QD. I asked him about the cracks and he said that he had already contacted DTA and that they were going to make everything right for him but he just hadn't gotten around to sending it back. He wasn't sure what had caused the cracks but was happy about the response that he got from DTA. That was the end of it and we made plans to go out and shoot it a few weeks later.....

So there you go. I didn't take pics (so don't ask) so I have no proof beyond what I personally witnessed. I walked away from the encounter impressed by the gun itself (was my first time handling one) and was happy to hear DTA was on top of any issues. Being the first run of a very different concept, I expected there might be some kinks. Thus held off from ordering at that time myself.

I just received my DTA SRS in .338 LM today. My first impression is that it is a well built gun and shoulders very well. It is very compact and well balanced. It came disassmebled and the barrel is super easy to install so I think the caliber change would be just as easy as it looks in the videos mentioned above. I mounted a S&B PMII 5-25 scope on the DTA 40 MOA rings and the cheek weld fits me very well. I am average build about 6'1". I did remove one of the stock spacers and I like the LOP much better now.

I have not had a chance to take it to the range yet but the test target it was shipped with had a 3 shot group that measures 0.542" (midpoint to midpoint) from 100 yards. Thus, I am fairly confident that if the gun can shoot that well, it can currently shoot better than I can. Just from some dryfire practice, I think the trigger feels very nice. Very crisp with no noticeable creep. Of course, the true test of this will be in live firing. I look forward to putting a few rounds down range myself soon.

what about the trigger?? i had custom made bullpup bot guns
20 yrs ago and finally gave up because i could not get a trigger
to break anywhere near a standard bolt gun---have they finally
figured out hoe to engineer the trigger assy for a bullpup??

the trigger on the SRS is one of the best trigger i have ever used.

and wholy thread revival batman