• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on the Romanian military.

CE1371

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
AZ/CO
Have the opportunity to go to Romania for a year and cross train with the Romania. Army. Just wanted some thoughts on them and their country as I weigh my options. I saw them in Afghanistan but never directly worked with them. Also, if you've ever been sent on a similar "training deployment" let mr know what you thought of the experience.

Bob

Re: Opinions on the Romanian military.

Been to Constanta with the Navy. They have a decent Naval force and their spec war guys were really professional and extremely efficient when we did some ops with them. It is typical Eastern Europe. There are nice areas but they have felt the hurt of the collapse of the Soviet Union and dissimilar culture with western Europe. I would definitely take the option if given it. Overall, the country is beautiful, the people are nice but slightly suspicious of Americans, and the military is very professional from what I have seen despite being strapped for funds.

Josh

I never actually worked directly with them while in Afghanistan, but did see them out in sector a few times and talked to them a few times on different fobs. They seemed very professional and were really cool guys to talk to. From what I seen of them in the sector they seemed crazy as hell. We were investigating a possible IED site and we ended up getting a Romanian EOD team. They walked right up to the culvert looked in one side walked around the other looked in and took off running. Im not saying that is the smartest way to do things. If I ever got a chance to do that I would definitely take the opportunity because I think I'd regret not doing just for the learning chances and to experience the culture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdgshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They walked right up to the culvert looked in one side walked around the other looked in and took off running.</div></div>

Thats crazy!!!

Probably the Vodka! (Iknow they're not russian, but they might as well be!!)

Better them, than us... I suppose!

We worked briefly with our Romanian counterparts flying Hunter UAVs they were extremely competent and professional. Culturally they are defiantly more East than West, but I think you'll find soldiers all over the world have more in common than your average person from other countries.

I've worked with a number of Romanian veterans in the private sector. Great guys, take their work very seriously, and are extremely competent.

I would jump on the opportunity in a heartbeat. Hope you like garlic, it's in most everything they cook.

Thanks, Gents, I appreciate the info.