• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Opinions on this for beginners package?

Re: Opinions on this for beginners package?

Save just a bit more you can get a SPS tactical for around $550 and a Bushnell 3200 10x mildot for around $200.A set of Leupold PRW rings and bases for $80.You will have a solid platform that as you advance you can build off of.That Savage will frustrate you it is a walmart once a year hunters special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save just a bit more you can get a SPS tactical for around $550 and a Bushnell 3200 10x mildot for around $200.A set of Leupold PRW rings and bases for $80.You will have a solid platform that as you advance you can build off of.That Savage will frustrate you it is a walmart once a year hunters special. </div></div>
+1

get a savage model 10 with bushnell 10x good plan for beginner but be careful it is addictive and expensive hobby.

That Savage itself is not bad, but the stock is a flimsy piece of shit,and that scope is a $49 chicom unit.There are better deals out there.See if you can get just the basic rifle maybe with a wood stock.

I've read up on the 10fp. very nice rifle, just a lil outta budget once i get scope and all.

How do you guys feel about the Savage 11 itself as a rifle? I'm wanting a 223. or 308 btw

budsgunshop.com has them for $567 delivered.

I would certainly take one. I have a 110 in 7mm Mag in the wood stock. I bedded the action myself and changed the non-accutrigger to a Timney. With that it was sub-MOA. The accutrigger will get you clase to the performance of the Timney and you can bed the action yourself with some Devcon, sandpaper and a few C clamps for cheap from somewhere like Harbor Freight. I eventually changed the glass to a Zeiss Conquest. It has become my favorite long range hunting rifle by far. It holds some impressive groups out to 300 and you won't find a custom rifle that shoots any better.

With all that said, I am a fan of the Rem 700 also. If you want this project to be one you can continue to build on, save up for the 700. There are far more people that will work on the Rem 700 actions than the Savage actions if you want to go through the whole truing and lapping process.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, sale it and get something else.

Thx for your input guys. Lots of stuff on the forums about savage vs remington specifically the 12FV and 700 SPS Varmit.
While reading these strings lots of comments about the savage being better out-of-the-box regarding accuracy. thoughts?

I love the look of the remy but i want performance more than anything. Of course these rifles are pushing my limit of money i can spend. This is what happens when you have a classic car hobbie, video game hobbie, new apartment and a wife. =)