• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on Weatherby's Vanguard Sub MOA

gunnut7469

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2009
I wondered how many people have also bought one, specifically in .308. I have yet to shoot mine but I have heard the triggers suck, and people recommend a Timney FGR for them. I figured folks here would have strong opinions, but educated ones. So any recommendations on ammo or other upgrades, as well as scopes and reports of other owners/users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Opinions on Weatherby's Vanguard Sub MOA

I have a howa in the shop right now, getting the full work over. Pete Lincoln here on the hide is pretty much the go to guy when it comes to anything about the Howa, so get in touch with him if you have any specific questions. Per his recomendation, I did not junk the factory trigger and instead am having my smith work it over. We will see what happens, but my smith, Randy Gregory, thinks that he should be able to tune it to where it needs to be. I also believe that Pete sells tuned factory triggers for the Howa/Weatherby.

A buddy of mine had one. In an odd caliber. IIRC, it was a 257 Weatherby Magnum. Whatever it was, I do recall it shot tiny groups. I was impressed with it, but ammo was like $2.00 a round. And it was before I reloaded.

Over priced.
A Remington 2 lug trumps a Weatherby 9 lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over priced.
A Remington 2 lug trumps a Weatherby 9 lug. </div></div>

The Weatherby Vanguard is a 2 lug similar to Rem 700.

I stand corrected. I did not see th Vanguard part.

Good rifle, good price, never seen a bad writeup, 257 WB is awsome cartridge for speed goats. There is a wood stocked non moa in 25-06 that is 3X fiddleback end to end in my local general store for $510.00 that keeps calling to me. Never seen any 25-06 that would not shoot better than 1 MOA.

Thanks guys. I figured .308 was the way to go, since it's a common caliber there should not really be a problem finding ammo for it. I do like the .25-06, it's a great cartridge but I'll probably buy a .243 for the wife next.

Tune the trigger, lap the lugs, re crown, bed it into the stock properly and you should have a 1/2 MOA rifle.
The triggers can be tuned to 500g ( about 1lb) easy enough but you do need to do a little re working.

Pete

Do you wife a favor. Unless she is very petite don't buy her a 243. A 260, 7mm08 or another 308 are far better medium game killers. A lot more bullet selection also as well as reduced recoil loads for the 308 from remington.
243 lovers don't bother yelling, I have owned them and they just a'int got what the other three have.