• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Zeiss 1.8-14x50 Victory V8?

SMH

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2007
Midwest, USA
I have a new elk hunting rifle being built and I'm trying to decide what to do for optics.
I've been using a NF 2.5-10x32 and I have been very satisfied with it. (To date, I have never had to take a shot over 300ish yards)
The new area I plan to hunt will tend to have much longer shots opportunities than what I have been accustomed to.

I'm not a big fan of long range range shots on game as there are too many uncontrolled variables. With that being said, I have been quite successful in 300 yard and 1000 yard matches competing with sling or bipod and wouldn't hesitate to reach out further than I have in the past.

I wish my 2.5-10's had just a little more magnification but my 3.5-15 and larger NF scopes are getting a little longer and heavier than I really want on a high altitude rifle. (Rifle will weigh ~8# bare and 11-11.5# with scope, sling and ammo)

The Zeiss splits essentially the difference on weight and length between my 2.5-10 and 3.5-15 Nightforce scopes.
The 1.8-14 magnification range is ideal (in my opinion) for something that will work for coyote to moose from point blank to 600 yards.
(I know I'm splitting hairs but that's part of the fun of building something custom and getting exactly what I want vs compromising)

The glass, illumination, eye relief, etc are supposedly great, but I have never had an opportunity to play with one.
Does anyone have any pros or cons to report on this model?

How is the resale on these? (The cringe worthy price isn't as painful if I can recapture most of it like I have on the NF scopes that I've bought and sold)
Are the Zeiss 36mm rings the only option? Are they aluminum? (I want light weight and high quality but I'm not sure who else makes a 36mm ring!)
Does the turret have some form of zero stop? (There appears to be some contradiction in the literature that I've found)
There appear to be interchangeable ballistic calibrations for the turret. I'm assuming it comes with one that goes 0 to X many moa or mil it has in a revolution?

Any knowledge that you can share would be appreciated!