• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 hunting use

DMTYAGER

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2017
NW Indiana
Have been looking and researching a mid range adjustable turret hunting scope and my budget is absolutely $1k or less. I truly wish I could afford more but just can not. I have looked at and considered a lot of scopes in the sub $1k range but keep coming back to this one:
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44
The rifle it will go on is a Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm
Purpose is hunting deer and elk out to 700 yards maximum
I hunt in all conditions and weather
My rings of choice are Burris Signature "Zee" rings and bases
The reasons for this is because the Ziess most closely meets my requirements of:
>Locking Adjustable wind and zero set elevation turrets
>SFP I really tried to like FFP but it's just not for me.
>Both low and med/ high magnification range
>Side Parallax adjustment
>Simple to understand and use ballistic reticle.
>Reasonably sized and moderate weight

I have but two and only two concerns I need addressed about this scope.
#1-Has it a well earned reputation for tracking and return to zero
#2-Durability especially it's ability of enduring long term moderately heavy recoil as it will sit atop my T3 Lite in 300wsm and I only hunt primarily with magnum rifles.

Thank you for your help.

Maybe apples to oranges, but I have a 3x12 v4 and really like it so far. Mine is on a RAP 308 in warne rings. Tracking has been perfect from 100 yard zero to 500 for the first 50 rounds.

I can't comment on durability thus far, but I would think a Zeiss is going to do just fine.

If the scope has a ballistic reticle, I’m assuming some sort of bdc concept, will it work at any magnification being that it has a sfp, and why would tracking matter if you can’t exactly dial corrections with it?

Also, will the bdc match the ballistics of your 300wsm or will you have to map it out to find out which distances your holds correspond to?

I’ve used one, I think it’s a very good option.

I do not think it’s as proven as swfa or nightforce as far as holding zeros but I think it’s solidly with other Japanese made scopes. I have heard of one that wouldn’t hold on a 300rum, I’ve heard of many that held fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mine was on a 6.5 prc and never had issues.

the only fault I had with the scope is that the elevation turret spins easier than I liked. I climb trees and knock my kit on branches and everything else and had it spin once. As long as you remember to check it it’s no big deal, and since the zero stop is very good I just snap the turret back to zero whenever I get somewhere just in case. Only happened once though, and again I noticed it immediately upon stopping and it caused no Issues getting my animal.

If the scope has a ballistic reticle, I’m assuming some sort of bdc concept, will it work at any magnification being that it has a sfp, and why would tracking matter if you can’t exactly dial corrections with it?

Also, will the bdc match the ballistics of your 300wsm or will you have to map it out to find out which distances your holds correspond to?
Actually it available with both an illuminated and non-illuminated MOA reticle that looks to me to be essentially a modernized MIL-DOT reticle with double the number of elevation and windage sub-tensions. I do not believe this particular reticle is intended to a BDC specific design. I have do doubt same as in a Mil-Dot reticle the sub-tensions are meant to be used as aiming points but one would have to work that out based on MOA application.

Jmcmath,
If SWFA had made a SFP SWFA SS 3-15x42 with zero-stop I would've bought one long ago. I tried but just can not make a FFP scope work for the environment I do the majority of my hunting in. NF is just out of my price range.

Reactions: DangerRanger
I had a Zeiss COnquest V4 4-16x moa/moa ...

I picked it because it was sort of a "Tactical-Hunting" scope :D

It has zero stop ... which most "hunting" scopes do not ...but which I need if I will dial at night. And I do most of my shooting/critter control at night.

And it had parallax and illum. And it was light enough and short enuff also. So it checked all my boxes.

I lost the battery cap and Zeiss USA replaced it quickly for free, so I had one positive experience with their CS.

==
I found it very effective in the critter control role and took out many coons opossum and yotes with it ...

49196710893_61f155c463_b.jpg

49197212316_1ddfdab92e_b.jpg

My only issue was I found the 4x on the bottom to be too much .. I really need 2.5x or below on the bottom ...as you can see the edges of the display are clipped a little by the 4x in the above pic with the thermal clipon. So I sold the Zeiss and the ATACR 4-16x I had and replaced one of them with a NF NX8 2.5-20x ... to pull in the 2.5x part ... might replace the other one with a Trijicon Credo 2-10x

But I found the Zeiss to be totally fine ... and no issues except me loose the battery cap, which again they replaced for free quickly. I was impress with the CS.

Reactions: YotaEer
I had a Zeiss V6 and really liked it. I thought the glass was really good in it for the price for sure.

I have that scope in 2moa reticle, it is on a 308, lite palma barreled. The scope works fine for this application, good low light tracks well 2 years , a couple hundred rounds.I have used Zeiss customer service on a spotter, (that was my fault ) it was blown over damage to scope body and obj bell they excelled in customer service.

DMTYAGER, Sorry, I'm a little late to this party... I just noticed your thread.. I'm actually getting one of these scopes myself. I don't know if you have gotten one yet or not??? Anyway, I'm trying one for several of the same reasons as you. looking for a "decent quality" hunting scope that doesn't 'Break The Bank'...... I already have 3 NF's, & like them very much... But, I'm looking for something a bit less $$$$ wise for a hunting rifle that won't get a lot of use... Sooo, we'll see how it all plays out. I'm glad I found this thread, & see that folks have have good experiences with them!!!!!!!

Wanted to update. I shot at 1k last Saturday. 52 minutes up. 52 minutes down. No issues.

Reactions: Kamerad
I’ve used one, I think it’s a very good option.

I do not think it’s as proven as swfa or nightforce as far as holding zeros but I think it’s solidly with other Japanese made scopes. I have heard of one that wouldn’t hold on a 300rum, I’ve heard of many that held fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mine was on a 6.5 prc and never had issues.

the only fault I had with the scope is that the elevation turret spins easier than I liked. I climb trees and knock my kit on branches and everything else and had it spin once. As long as you remember to check it it’s no big deal, and since the zero stop is very good I just snap the turret back to zero whenever I get somewhere just in case. Only happened once though, and again I noticed it immediately upon stopping and it caused no Issues getting my animal.

SWFA scopes are made by Kinko Tokina. Kinko owns Sightron and is also an OEM supplier to may optics companies around the world.
EJ

Thanks to all who replied to my request for help and enlightenment. I have sold a few items and raised enough cash to be able to afford the Zeiss V4 Conquest. I REALLY wanted a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x42 but it's simply out of my price range and I have two sons needing much in terms of hunting and shooting equipment let alone one heading off to nursing school next year and the price difference between the V4 and the VX6 is just to significant for me to justify.
I would buy the VX5 but its not offered in a reticle I find acceptable like the one in the V4.
Again thanks much.

I have 3 with t30 reticle, one on 300wm and so far no probs dialing to 1200 and back, great glass for price point. I actually sold a V6 because I like the V4 reticles better and couldn’t tell enough difference otherwise to justify the price. U won’t be sorry with your purchase 👍🏽