• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions please lads... ST-10 vs NXS 3.5-15

96C

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2007
    Aust
    Fellas,

I have my Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 illum TMR on the market... It is a good scope but the SFP TMR MRAD reticle with 1/4 MOA knobs has had it's day and now it's time to move on.
    I do alot of hunting and range shooting generally between 100 - 800 meters. My Leupy normally sits around the 10x mag anyway I've found, it's a good compromise IMO.
    <span style="font-weight: bold">I know it's better to have it and not need it as opposed to need it and not have it</span>... BUT the features on the USO ST-10 are pulling me over (EREK and GAP reticle mainly, also the reputation of being an amazing quality scope).
    Having a fixed power keeps things simple, there is no FFP / SFP to worry about and the bonus of less moving parts.

Currently I'm looking at these two scopes:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm</span> FFP, .1MRAD Windage / Elevation, MLR Reticle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">US Optics ST-10</span>, EREK MIL Elevation, GAP MIL reticle, Ergo upgrade, 44mm obj, #3 M40 .1MIL Windage.

What are your opinions of a fixed 10x scope over the variable optics such as the NXS listed above? I'd like to keep it down to these two options, I'm expecting to recover a reasonable price for my MK4 and these two scopes are within my price bracket.

I have a Bushnell excusrion mildot spotter so this rifle scope will be a scope only, not for obs. It spends more time in the field so looking for little holes isn't a concern also.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
    Thanks for your time lads,</span>
    J

Re: Opinions please lads... ST-10 vs NXS 3.5-15

I voted other.

I'd look into the Premier 3-15x50 with Gen II mildot. I'm not a fixed power fan for a hunting scope, to many reasons to need the lower magnification. I've also heard many people complain that the FFP reticle on the F1 NXS is to small at lower powers.

Best option based on my above thoughts, Premier with the Gen II Mildot. They can be had for basically the same price as the F1 NXS.

J

Given those two options I chose the NF F1 but, I would also buy a PH 3-15 with the Gen II mildot for the reasons mentioned above.

Between those two only, I'd go with a NF for what your doing. But then again, I prefer variable. I do have a ST10 and love it. But it's on a rifle that will rarely, if ever, shoot farther than 300-400y.

I use the USO ST10 and I really love the scope but the NF 3-15x50mm would be a better way to go.

Mike

Kind of a lopsided comparison... I think, regardless of brand, you need to find what you really want, or what features are really important to you first. FFP / SFP, Mil / MOA (shouldn't be an issue with most brands), variable / fixed...

Personally, on the NXS, the rotating ocular and SFP reticle drive me nuts. I can live with both, but they kinda annoy me.

Does the F1 have still have the rotating ocular?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the F1 have still have the rotating ocular? </div></div>

Yep

well i chose other, and my other suggestion would be the 3-15 Premier. Great scopes and on par with the NF and USO. I am just waiting on a PH 5-25 to get here within the next couple of weeks.

You bring up good points guys,
    I'm sick to death of having a SFP reticle that doesn't match my turrets...

I feel that 15x is too high for a SFP and my application (because I'm wound down the reticle isn't in synch with anyone spotting) so thats why I'm opting for a FFP so 1Mil is always 1Mil (not trying to insult your intelligence here by any means).

The objective of this scope change is to take out the guess work and minimise maths in the field.

MRAD clicks and MRAD reticle (preferably NOT MilDot, much prefer the MLR / TMR / GAP style with hash marks) with metric measurements is the way forward... Now I just need to figure out if the EREK outweighs the variable power optics really.
    The main benefit of the EREK is with a single full turn and my load I should be able to punch out to around 775 meters (8.9MIL).

From what I've read the ocular will rotate on the NXS which will piss me off to no end also with flip covers!

I've never owned a fixed power scope, which is why I'm asking for your guidance. The Army seems to do well with the 10x...

Once again, thanks for your time fellas.

A more fair comparison would be between the F1 or Premier. IMO you can't go wrong with either of those scopes. They both offer a lot for the money and choose which one you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main benefit of the EREK is with a single full turn and my load I should be able to punch out to around 775 meters (8.9MIL).</div></div>

I think the Premier double turn has 11 mil per turn if I'm remembering right.

Perhaps the USO SN3-17 would be a better option over the ST-10.

Configured as above but variable 3-17x. A fair bit more expensive however. EREK Mil / GAP Mil reticle.
    Best of both worlds perhaps...

Much food for thought, thanks for your inpur lads!

I like your ideas for a fixed power scope for your application. Simple can sometimes be more. Like they say KISS( Keep It Simple Stupid). USO 10X

Maybe I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time!) about the NF occular. On the NXS scope I have, the occular does rotate - to focus. Once focused, there is a locking ring and it doesn't rotate any more. Focus it, lock it, then put on the flip-up covers.

Unless this version is different somehow.

i think that he is referring to the magnification ring, the whole ocular spins when you crank up the magnification.

Now SN3 17x is a different story... I have both the NF 3-15, and SN3 3.2-17x, I prefer the USO in that case.

If your content on a fix 10, by al means, get a fix 10. God knows it will safe you some cash, and the ST10 is a good priced optic.

I think you would need to boil it down to a price you are willing to spend. The ST-10 is great. I have many of them. Out of all of them I prefer the 37mm objective and if you find someone with one, I think you will decide that the ERGO option isn't really necessary. On the other hand if 200 bucks isn't much to you along with a little more mounting height then make the jump. The EREK is very nice, but I could get by just as easy with a #3 knob, and there is 90 bucks difference between the two.

I am one of those with way to many optics around. I have Springfield Armory's which are nice for a shooter that does not go out and send very many rounds down range. I have fixed MK4's and variables (prefer the fixed) especially the M3's. I have a few USO ST-10's and a few SN-3's (3.2-17) one old #2 (3.8-22)which is a SFP (I wish it was a FFP). A couple of S&B PM2's, a couple of PH 3-15's and any day a couple of 5-25's.

Other than the more power on the PH, the optics quality. If I didn't have to wait to take posession I would just stay with USO ST-10 in mils and #3 knobs. You get 10.5 mils per rev on a number 3 knob, and I would also save the dough and do fixed ST-17 in mils as well.

You just have to decide if you are willing to stay in that 1000-1200 price range or gonna make the jump to 2000-2200 price range. Is a variable FFP in mils worth double the money?

So I guess for me, I am soon to start selling scopes and get rid of a dozen or so lying around that don't get used and keep 6-8 that I really like.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

voted the ST10x sounds like you used your Leupold as a 10x anyways and US Optics have a bomb proof reputation

put the money you save on the nightforce into more ammo

Voted other, Heritage 3-15, Gen II Mildot.
    Reticle very visible on low power & illuminated + center looks like a small reflex red dot...
    Cranked up, image remains outstanding & reticle is still very usable for postive shot placement...
    On par with an F1 in price...

f.w.i.w...
    In the price range of an ST-10, I'd opt for a NXS 2.5-10X for hunting...

My vote is the 3.5-15 NF. Excellent scope and plenty tough enough. Great glass and tracks perfectly.