• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Opinions please... on a hunting rifle

ProImaging

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Alabama
www.proimagingonline.com
i had a Rem 700 sent off to Hart and re-chambered in 300 win mag. put a one size bigger barrell on it and had it fluted so it would still be a pleasure to carry. had a wood stock. ive been looking at replacing the stock and what type of scope to put on it. wanted a rifle i could shoot 300-600 yards with. i have a springfield 10x56AO i was thinking about putting on it. but it may be too big. i like the leupold with the custom knobs too. Any suggestions on scope and stock would be appreciated.

Re: Opinions please... on a hunting rifle

the stock is going to be difficult to upgrade while trying to keep weight in mind. the reason to upgrade a stock is for 2 main reasons (function/fit) and overall toughness. a good stock will fit you swell as you barreled action very nicely. you also have the option of changing LOP and the option of a raised comb, which if you did end up using that springfield with a 56mm OA you would probably want a raised comb, especially if you were planning on putting a base such as a 20 moa on. i think everyone here for the most part will send you in the same basic direction, which is McMillan, Manners, and Bell and Carlson. try and keep your selection to there different hunting or varmint styles to cut down on weight. but these will be strong stocks with good bedding blocks to enhanced accuracy.

as far as the scope goes there are many factors a few of which being, what are you familiar with Mills, or MOA. what is your target animal. what is your main focus (weight, optics quality, durability, etc...) and the most important limiting factor PRICE. with those answers people may be able to help you better. if you want to shoot a 300 win mag 600 yards but you do not intend on getting a base with any sort of cant a scope with a lot of elevation must be chosen. these are all factors that must be considered.

Mainly using this for deer hunting in open fields. i'm thinking about leaving the stock like it is for now and trying out this 10x56. it has mill dots. so i can index it and see where it hits on the mil dots out to whatever range.

i think that is a good start definitely no reason to change anything if the current setup works. Im not a Mil guy myself. but i would assume its a similar setup to moa. Someone should chime in here. but basically look up "a box test" and see how the mills track get familiar shoot the rifle a bunch and make a drop chart. you don't want to be trying to figure out mill hold overs or even worse guess when it comes time for the shot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats true, ill probably end up setting it dead on at 100 and see where she hits at each mil. </div></div>

Run her through a chrono, then put the MV into a ballistics calculator. Take that to the range and you will be very close to the drop chart from the calculator.

You definately have to shoot it at every distance you want DOPE for.

You asked for opinions, so here is mine...Having a starting point from the calculator will drastically reduce the length and severity of your headache while on your journey.

Good luck.

76 grains of H-1000 pushing a 210gr berger. I'd expriment with your rifle though to find what it likes best.

OK i got my rifle in and figured i better order a decelerator pad for it. last weekend i shot it before it came in and holy shit this thing kicks....lol postponed sighting it in until it comes in. Already took the hard plastic butt plate off and trashed it...lol A different stock may be in order.
DSC_0081.jpg

I did the same as you with my Rem 700 but with Shilen & not fluted. This month I ordered a McMillan HTG hunting stock (3 - 4 months waiting time). Currently the glass in a Zeiss 4.5 - 14 x 44mm but I'm considering switching to the Leupold VX3 2.5 - 8x since that is what I use on most hunting rifles anymore. The smaller scope is faster acquisition for me & easier handling.
R.