• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions please on best Bolt "Action"

psychoideas

Private
Minuteman
Hello everyone,

I'm after opinions on what hide members think is the best Action for a bolt gun.
Now I've done a search but find all sorts of stuff that are unrelated.

I've seen all the questions so I'll try and address some of them:
Stock will be an AICS
Calibre will be .308win
Barrel will be sourced (hopefully) from Australia.
I intend to shoot a bit of long range target as well as some local varmint hunting.
I'm after something that will be reasonably accurate out to 1000 mtrs, maybe beyond.

What I'd like from you blokes is opinions on what (readily available) action to use on the AICS.

Looking forward to the responces,

Cheers,
Frank

Re: Opinions please on best Bolt "Action"

Frank,

Being you are looking to use local barrel source then I would suggest you get complete barrel and action from local manufactures of:

1. Action = Barnard Precision from New Zealand
2. Barrel = Trueflite barrels from New Zealand

The above combination will do anything and everything you so desire!!

Thanks

How dare you suggest to him that New Zealand is local. Oh boy, you've stepped in it now!
smile.gif

If you are set on the AICS that will make your action choice a little bit limited won't it?

which to you think is better and cheaper to do

get a aics and put a remington 700 varmint on

or to get a aics and get the action, barrel ect seperate

Erik and the OP since the AICS chassis systems are made for Remington 700 actions only. They can be modified but only so much, it kind of limits your choices as to what action you can build the rig off of. My suggestion is that you get a 700 barreled action drop it in the AICS and shoot the barrel out on that then down the road get the action all fixed up and slap a new tube on there in the caliber of your choosing

I try to stay out of these 'best' discussions, but this time I've failed utterly.

Yeah, well, if you can afford the best, there's no good reason why you shouldn't. I can't, but that's also no good reason why I shouldn't aspire to do the same.

My issue is about just how good a system needs to be before we can no longer discern any additional benefit from additional investment.

Obviously there is some reasonable minimum investment which we can agree upon. This is the area I've been constrained to explore.

I mean, let's be honest, paper and critters are somewhere in the middle of the range of targets which demand unfailing accuracy; with tin cans being at one extreme, and seriously motivated professional counter snipers at the other.

For the latter, you are headed in the right direction. For the tin cans, a rimfire repeater will suffice. For that middle ground, I think we have to ask ourselves just what's so wrong about a reasonably well heeled factory rifle.

My experience, on a good day; most shooters will find their capacity to demonstrate such a system's shortcomings just barely possible. On a bad day, it's not so possible.

So wherein lies the deficiency?

My point is, a more frugal approach can still deliver a highly satisfactory outcome, and provide resources for more appropriate supporting accessories.

Now there still exists the potential for error on my part. It may well be that the prevailing skill level is demonstrably hampered by such an approach. This I do not know, and if it is so, I gladly apologize and stand corrected.

Greg

Of all the custom actions I've played with and owned I'll take a Surgeon tactical action over the rest.

Just having the integral 20 MOA rail is reason enough for me but I like the correct tolerance of the bolt to action fit also.Not too tight or loose.

I recently was at a tactical match and forgot to close the back window on the Ford Explorer.I had driven a half mile to where the next stage was.When I got out and walked to the back of the Explorer to pick up my rifle I saw a liberal coating of fine dust all over my Surgeon XL custom rifle.!@#$%^.The action was facing up and the oiled bolt was caked with dust.So I thought hmm,I wonder if the bolt will lock up.Nope.The action functioned perfectly.Just a little gritty is all.

Steve

AICS is an extremely heavy piece of gear.
Rem 700 is an extremely basic receiver and probably not worth all the work you will do just to use the AICS.

Why not buy an AI AW and have it all?

Lot of great gear in New Zealand, like factory precision rigs with suppressor accessories? Sako TRG22, Tikka M595 competition, Branard action? Go Accuracy Intl in fully assembled configuration and be sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all the custom actions I've played with and owned I'll take a Surgeon tactical action over the rest.

Just having the integral 20 MOA rail is reason enough for me but I like the correct tolerance of the bolt to action fit also.Not too tight or loose.

I recently was at a tactical match and forgot to close the back window on the Ford Explorer.I had driven a half mile to where the next stage was.When I got out and walked to the back of the Explorer to pick up my rifle I saw a liberal coating of fine dust all over my Surgeon XL custom rifle.!@#$%^.The action was facing up and the oiled bolt was caked with dust.So I thought hmm,I wonder if the bolt will lock up.Nope.The action functioned perfectly.Just a little gritty is all.

Steve

</div></div>Wow, you actually voluntarily and intentionally cycled the action with the dirt on it? Why on earth wouldn't you at least right then and there do a min. field strip and clean?
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all the custom actions I've played with and owned I'll take a Surgeon tactical action over the rest.

Steve

</div></div>Wow, you actually voluntarily and intentionally cycled the action with the dirt on it? Why on earth wouldn't you at least right then and there do a min. field strip and clean?
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't get it. </div></div>

im guessin because some of us run our rifles under real world conditions, dont have time to in between stages of fire, or just plain dont care because after all a rifle is a tool not a beauty queen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all the custom actions I've played with and owned I'll take a Surgeon tactical action over the rest.

Steve

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't get it. </div></div>

im guessin because some of us run our rifles under real world conditions, dont have time to in between stages of fire, or just plain dont care because after all a rifle is a tool not a beauty queen </div></div>Really. No time to take the bolt out and at lest wipe it off? The "don't care" part I buy, but not because it's a freekin beauty queen...what on earth does that have to do with taking care of your equipment? That's just lame, IMO. "Real world" conditions...LOL...OK...